PDA

View Full Version : My old Dodge delivered

BamaRam
10-26-2018, 08:56 PM
I am a newby at RVing and towing and had some trepidation about going cross country on my third outing. Part of my worries were that I didn't know how my truck would perform. I did a lot of prep work; all fluids changed, new front end, u joints, and added an Edge CTS.

With an automatic 4 speed, I learned that I had to be on my game to keep the RPMs where they needed to be, but after i figured that out it was a breeze. I had to anticipate when to go in and out of tow mode and when to give the cruise control some help. I found that the engine likes to pull at 62mph. Any slower and the hills bog it down, any faster and the trailer gets scary.

For a 14 year old truck it did very well. The only time I worried about was when we got stuck for 5 miles in 10mph construction traffic going up Ute Pass in 80* weather. The the engine temp went to 215 and transmission to 223 before i was able to get wind to the coolers. It didn't seem to mind the altitude.

Some of the I-40 bridge transitions were roller coaster rides, but the truck and trailer tracked well while the suspensions were doing there thing.

Anyhow, I learned a lot towing 2600 miles. Preventative maintenance pays dividends.

flybouy
10-27-2018, 04:50 AM
Nothing better than an uneventful trip, as far as towing is concerned.:) Sound advice on the preventative maintenance!

chuckster57
10-27-2018, 05:55 AM
I agree. My ‘94 pulled my old Jayco from Modesto to Niagara Falls and back in ‘09. 8500 miles in 5 1//2 weeks. Never skipped a beat. Something to be said about mechanical Diesel engines. They ain’t fast but they get there every time.

ctbruce
10-27-2018, 06:07 AM
Good for you! I'm glad you had a great trip without any events.

hankpage
10-27-2018, 09:05 AM
BamaRam, We have a similar TV and I would trust the old girl to get us anywhere and back. It is completely stock except for greaseable front end parts and staying on the east coast, I never had a need for any more power. Enjoy your 5.9, it's a hell of an engine. Hank

BamaRam
10-27-2018, 10:25 AM
The Edge CTS2 gives me a greater level of confidence. Would not pull without it. EGT alarm is set to 1400 and went off once. Time to down shift.

fourfourto
10-27-2018, 11:15 AM
the first ram was a little low on power

hankpage
10-27-2018, 01:28 PM
The Edge CTS2 gives me a greater level of confidence. Would not pull without it. EGT alarm is set to 1400 and went off once. Time to down shift.

That's what gauges are for ... and I get to watch the little needles go up and down plus red light for low fuel pressure.( I carry a spare lift pump for that, just in case) :D

hankpage
10-27-2018, 01:31 PM
the first ram was a little low on power

442, Mine is only 2 wheel drive. :rolleyes:

BamaRam
10-27-2018, 05:33 PM
That's what gauges are for ... and I get to watch the little needles go up and down plus red light for low fuel pressure.( I carry a spare lift pump for that, just in case) :D

I looked at getting gauges but opted for the CTS because it was a more economical solution. And if I sell the truck, it's easy to take it out.

Do you have the modified banjo fitting with a pressure sensor that mounts at the injection pump inlet?

I installed a new lift pump because the old one had 100k and was noisy when I turned the key on.

hankpage
10-27-2018, 08:55 PM
Do you have the modified banjo fitting with a pressure sensor that mounts at the injection pump inlet?

No, just a simple low pressure switch on the fuel filter that lights a LED on the pillar if lift goes below 5 psi. . Filter cap is drilled and taped.

moodman
11-05-2018, 05:21 AM
So, my "fear" about towing long distances is coming DOWN a steep grade. I don't have a "Jake Brake", and with a lot of weight behind me, I am afraid of burning up my brakes.

What was your experience on steep grades?

chuckster57
11-05-2018, 05:30 AM
So, my "fear" about towing long distances is coming DOWN a steep grade. I don't have a "Jake Brake", and with a lot of weight behind me, I am afraid of burning up my brakes.

No exhaust brake here either. Old fiver weighed in at about 12,500. Start out SLOW, use the trailer brakes only for a couple of times, and then the truck brakes a couple of times. I will apply the brakes and slow down well under the speed limit and then roll until just above the limit. It’s better IMO to apply them once and then let them cool instead of constant tapping to maintain a particular speed. Been working good for me since 2009.

3wheeler
11-05-2018, 10:31 AM
My exhaust brake is the best money I have ever spent on truck upgrades. We camp 5 or 6 times a year at a local forest service campground on top of a mountain. Very steep windy road for 7 miles. Bought my Dodge last year and made 1 trip up there and decided no more till I get an ex. brake. Don't know why, but the Cummins don't hold back as good as my previous Dmax. But wow, what a difference that exhaust brake makes! I actually have to upshift to a higher gear coming down the mountain to keep from going too slow.

BamaRam
11-05-2018, 07:05 PM

I will echo Chuckster’s comment.
His description is spot on.
I’m not sure an exhaust brake is possible with my truck.

chuckster57
11-05-2018, 07:48 PM
The ability to have an “exhaust” brake is dependent on your type of valve train. I have hydraulic lifters so I can’t use an exhaust brake since it can cause a valve to “float” and hit a piston.

The “jake” brake is completely different. It actually holds the valves open, causing loss of compression and “drag”. Jake brakes are extremely loud and outlawed in many urban areas.

hankpage
11-05-2018, 08:56 PM
I have found that using cruise control on down hills or maintaining some rpm (1000 - 1200) will give some holdback. Don't know why but it works. :confused:

rhagfo
11-05-2018, 09:14 PM

I am a gauge person also, don't like the low FP light as the pressure is too low when it goes off.
I installed a aftermarket Lift Pump and run 14# to 17.5# pressure. I also feel that 1,400 degrees is a little high, don't like to get that high.

rhagfo
11-05-2018, 09:23 PM

If you have a lockup Torque converter you can install a PacBrake for about $1,700 if you can DIY. Yes, that is a chunk of change, but money well spent.
I have one on my 2001 with 5 speed manual and hardly ever need to touch the service brakes coming down steep grades at 20,500# combined weight. There is nothing more satisfying than hearing that low rumble, and not needing service brakes on a down hill while watching those in front of you riding the brakes.

DD has a new to her 2004 Ram 3500 DRW, and I will be installing a PacBrake on hers soon.

Your Cummins has mechanical lifters, and will handle an exhaust brake without issue.

moodman
11-06-2018, 03:14 AM
All..
Thank you so much. Your comments are well received and appreciated!

thatdjguy
11-06-2018, 04:27 AM
Good grief, this is all like a second language to me!

ctbruce
11-06-2018, 04:47 AM
Good grief, this is all like a second language to me!Gearheads are their own special subsection of society. Only the brave need apply. All others can just stand aside and becawed by what they do.
Hats off to the Gearheads.

3wheeler
11-06-2018, 04:55 AM
If you have a lockup Torque converter you can install a PacBrake for about $1,700 if you can DIY. Yes, that is a chunk of change, but money well spent.
I have one on my 2001 with 5 speed manual and hardly ever need to touch the service brakes coming down steep grades at 20,500# combined weight. There is nothing more satisfying than hearing that low rumble, and not needing service brakes on a down hill while watching those in front of you riding the brakes.

DD has a new to her 2004 Ram 3500 DRW, and I will be installing a PacBrake on hers soon.

Your Cummins has mechanical lifters, and will handle an exhaust brake without issue.

I used the one from BD Diesel. $1300 from Amazon and installed myself. Of course, it would be more for an automatic though. I agree with you about the rumble. It's addicting.

rhagfo
11-06-2018, 05:53 AM
I used the one from BD Diesel. $1300 from Amazon and installed myself. Of course, it would be more for an automatic though. I agree with you about the rumble. It's addicting.

Yep, the PacBrake for our 2001 5speed was right at about $1,295, and DIY install.
DD brought up again yesterday while moving her mommy and baby horses to a different location, on some really hilly roads with intersections and stop signs, said she missed the exhaust brake on mine to help slow at the stops.