PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Recharge Battery

DorothynJon
10-24-2018, 08:27 PM
I'm going to be tailgating for basically 3+ days in a stadium parking lot starting tomorrow. I've got a Champion 2000 watt generator that I will use to recharge the battery when needed. In the past when I've dry camped for a couple of days, I just hooked the generator up to my power inlet using a 20amp adapter (I have a 50amp rig). I could use a couple of 120v things, but I was basically just recharging the battery. The generator has a 12v DC outlet with two clips to recharge batteries. Question is: Would that be better and more efficient or does it really matter which way I do it? If I use the clips, should the black be attached to the frame or the negative terminal of the battery?

Thanks!

OregonDuck
10-24-2018, 11:25 PM
My vote would be to stay with the converter. Ease of use, and I don't believe the generator 12vdc would have the amps that the converter would provide. If you do use the generator 12vdc, I'd attach the neg clip to the frame. You can do either, but it's usually recommended as a safety precaution to prevent a spark (the neg being too close to the pos) which could ignite any hydrogen gas leaking from the batt.

flybouy
10-25-2018, 03:14 AM
With a 2K generator I'd plug in the 120vac and let the on board charger do it's thing. Depending upon the generator I'm guessing it may not be as capable of stepping down the charge rate when the battery reaching capacity. Using the generator to provide 120Vac should also allow you to watch television and run the fridge as well.

Canonman
10-25-2018, 06:43 AM
Most converters are WFCO 89XX series. They provide multiple output/charging voltages for charging, as well as maintaining the proper battery charge level. It's much more efficient than connecting the 12v output from the genny.