PDA

View Full Version : Do i have reverse lights?

KSH
10-23-2018, 07:13 PM
I know, this sounds silly. But I've never been behind my trailer when it's backing up since I'm always driving. Took a friend out to teach him to drive a trailer and i noticed i don't have reverse lights. Is that the case or is something wrong. I popped off the housing in the lights. Bulb has 2 filaments. They both seem to work for driving and brake lights. Turn signal works, just nothing for reverse. Am i missing something here?
Springdale 240bhwe

That bundle of cable in the picture goes to the backup camera i installed years ago. 1903219033

chuckster57
10-23-2018, 07:22 PM
No you do not have reverse lights. They are not common on most trailers.

spade117
10-24-2018, 04:06 AM
I have not ever seen reverse lights on a trailer unless they were installed by the owner.

chuckster57
10-24-2018, 04:14 AM
I have not ever seen reverse lights on a trailer unless they were installed by the owner.

The newer Winnebago fifth wheels have them. Grand design Momentum has ramp lights that will come on when the TV is put in reverse.

travelin texans
10-24-2018, 04:51 AM
Mine came with them & I replaced them with another set of stop/taillights for better visibility. I don't plan on backing in after dark & they wouldn't help the driver much anyway.

ken56
10-24-2018, 05:25 AM
My 2017 Laredo has one. Mine is back-up camera ready but no camera installed. It is long and narrow about 10 inches long and 2.5 wide with an opaque white lens. I think the camera ready units today have them to work in conjunction with the camera. I never travel at night or set up at night either so it don't matter to me. Some day there may come a time though.

Ken / Claudia
10-24-2018, 08:00 AM
Back-up lights would be nice, but only help someone behind you knowing your about to back-up. If seeing behind you at night while parking they will not help.
Just the taillights being on will provide about the same amount of light. Nearly all that light is pointed straight back where the driver cannot see anyway. For lighting up the spot your backing into so the driver can see. You will need powerful aftermarket lights angled to the sides and straight back or someone with a hand held light standing behind you aiming the light at the area your backing into, not at you. Night vision does work, but be careful about lack of depth perception.

KSH
10-24-2018, 09:08 AM
Okay thanks everybody, I just thought it would be helpful for even other people at the campground to know you're backing up or you have the trailer in Reverse that's all not really for seeing better at night

Ken / Claudia
10-24-2018, 02:03 PM
Back up lights are easy to mount and wire for any do it yourselfer. I have 2, 55 watt lights on swivels above the bumper.

tjkarch60
10-24-2018, 06:28 PM
I ran a wire from the front wiring loom to the back and added 2 LED floodlights to the back of my trailer. I got them from Amazon and they are small but bright. I just mounted them to a reinforcing plate on the bumper and used the plate for the ground.
So far they work great and you can move them to suit your needs.

notanlines
10-25-2018, 02:30 AM
Okay thanks everybody, I just thought it would be helpful for even other people at the campground to know you're backing up or you have the trailer in Reverse
They don't need to be anywhere near you when you're backing up, setting up, or taking down. Don't let them be one of "those guys" always wanting to help people when they get in the park.

Tinner12002
10-25-2018, 05:03 AM
I kinda thought that's why I have a backup camera though more white lighting in the back might help see better in the dark. I've had to back mine into the storage space a few times after dark by myself...so far camera has worked ok.

hornet28
10-26-2018, 05:19 PM
I had a pair of LEDs on our Hornet. It was easy wiring them as it didn't have an enclosed underbelly

rhagfo
10-26-2018, 05:28 PM
I added extra Backup Lights to both the TV and 5er. Most TV stock backup lights are weak at best, just let those behind you are backing.
I needed to pull new wire from the pin box on the 5er, but have very good BU lights there if needed.

hornet28
10-26-2018, 06:14 PM
I also have a pair of LEDs on my truck and on my 36' car hauler

surfbeetle
11-01-2018, 09:41 AM
I added reverse lights to the front of my fifth wheel pointing down the side towards the rear. When I back up, I can see either side of my trailer and make sure I'm not going to hit anything. Also, I have a switch that I can turn the lights on manually running from the trailer's own batteries. This helps when setting up camp in the dark. In addition they can be left on when I'm jockeying the trailer around in a spot.

ciara_belle
11-01-2018, 10:43 AM
our 06 carriage carri-lite did... so we were shocked to find our 2019 alpine 3800fk did not... dealership said they stopped putting them on years ago... which i thought was stupid.

packnrat
11-01-2018, 11:52 AM
back-up lights should be mandatory. but sad that are not required even under dot regs.

at my job i have to back up trailers a lot. it would be nice to have them.. then just maybe that fool in the cage would see i need to back up, and not just pull up behind me and park in place.

but for a rv it should not be too much of a problem wiring it up for such. but would need a second power cord connection. ( just for the added back up wire).

larryflew
11-01-2018, 12:43 PM
Our 2011 Alpine has factory back up lights but i have not seen very many trailers that do.

Dave fromRockcliffeTheSea
11-02-2018, 02:37 AM
Engage emergency/parking brake, put in reverse and get out and look.

BobMcC
11-02-2018, 05:35 AM
I ran a 14 gauge single conductor primary wire from the electrical junction box (in the pin box area) to the rear of our 5er toy hauler and added a small bright white LED panel in center of the bumper. I always have the DW back there to assist in maneuvering when backing it in. The light is bright enough to illuminate the whole area. Not to mention it helps her not stumble in an unfamiliar area. Yes, I have a rear camera, but I always like having her back there to watch for whatever might be a problem.

I also added set of flashing LEDs to the existing brake lights on either side of my added white backup light. And, because it's a toy hauler, the standard brake lights are so low on the bumper - I added a 15" LED brake/turn light on each side of the ramp frame about 5' above the ramp hinge. I have NO DOUBT people will see me stopping for sure. :)