PDA

View Full Version : Which "T" valve stems can I install in my TT wheels?

MarkEHansen
10-21-2018, 05:28 AM
I am purchasing a 2019 Cougar Half-Ton 26RBSWE and would like to install an after-market TPMS. I would like to be able to add air to the tires without having to remove the TPMS sensors and the popular way to do this on my motorcycle is by installing "T" valve stems:

https://www.ebay.com/i/113030412348?chn=ps

I know some of the TPMS sensors are "pass through" (or something like that) but these require the use of metal valve stems and I think my trailer comes with rubber, so I would have to change the valve stems out anyway.

Are there "T" valve stems which will work with my trailer wheels?

Thanks,

Ken / Claudia
10-21-2018, 09:17 AM
Metal over rubber, for the 6 bucks or so a valve go with metal. No rot, no ripping the rubber base out over bumps or high pressure just no worries. You are able to go with more choices of TPMS.

MarkEHansen
10-26-2018, 04:04 AM
Any idea what I can use for "T" valve stems on my trailer wheels?

JRTJH
10-26-2018, 06:00 AM
Any idea what I can use for "T" valve stems on my trailer wheels?

I don't know of any "T" valves approved for automotive use or for travel trailer use. While there may be some, why would you want "two avenues to lose pressure" ????

MarkEHansen
10-26-2018, 06:03 AM
I would like to use "cap" style TPMS sensors with locks and don't want to have to remove them while checking the air pressure manually.

This is quite common on motorcycles - I'm surprised they aren't used on TTs.

fjr vfr
10-26-2018, 07:30 AM
I haven't seen these before. My Gold Wing just had the angled stems. As far as approval, it's the same for motorcycles as any other vehicle. With that said, I might be a little worried about so much stem hanging out from the wheel with sensors attached.
On the Wing it's on the inside of the wheel. It would be hanging out on a trailer wheel.
A lot more exposed.

Ddubya
10-26-2018, 07:30 AM
Here is a link to the ones I use. I have been very happy with them.

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/talon-t-valve-adapter-for-tire-pressure-system/?msclkid=225549d5c2a01fd5ba101206f01986af&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20Shopping%20-%20General&utm_term=4579191052868606&utm_content=Big%20Rigs

MarkEHansen
10-26-2018, 07:33 AM
Thanks, Ddubya, but those are adapters which screw on to the existing valve stem - which must be metal. I was looking for "T" valve stems which mount in the rim itself.

However, it's looking like I may have to install metal valve stems and then go with your suggestion.

bobbecky
10-26-2018, 09:50 AM
If you do install metal stems, I would suggest using the stems that install from the inside of the wheel and have the nut on the outside. I’ve had several instances where stems with the nuts inside have come loose and the latest one I had to put the spare on in a very difficult location along the road. Just make sure the stem is long enough to have room to screw on the sensor. I use the TST flow through sensors and change the batteries annually. They have been very reliable and easy to add air when needed.

fjr vfr
10-27-2018, 04:56 AM
Valve stems like these I use on my motorcycles.

https://www.shop.shinhopples.com/product.sc?productId=669&categoryId=-1

flybouy
10-27-2018, 05:07 AM
I am purchasing a 2019 Cougar Half-Ton 26RBSWE and would like to install an after-market TPMS. I would like to be able to add air to the tires without having to remove the TPMS sensors and the popular way to do this on my motorcycle is by installing "T" valve stems:

https://www.ebay.com/i/113030412348?chn=ps

I know some of the TPMS sensors are "pass through" (or something like that) but these require the use of metal valve stems and I think my trailer comes with rubber, so I would have to change the valve stems out anyway.

Are there "T" valve stems which will work with my trailer wheels?

Thanks,
I get your experience with bikes and I would think that style would be popular with the interference of the spokes. If you haven't purchased the tpms yet then I'd suggest straight bolt in metal stems and flow thru tpms sensors. Most tpms manufacturers have set screw "locks" for the sensors. JMHO, YMMV

busterbrown
10-27-2018, 04:46 PM
I did my research on appropriate valve stems when using TPMS on each wheel. Several RV folks suggested these Ford F series stems. (http://yourtireshopsupply.com/product/512/n1600-ford-series-truck-valve-han1600) They are completely metal and seat perfectly on most wheels from Sendel and Hi-spec. I've used them on two different sets of wheels for my Bullet TT. Work great with my sensors.

vampress_me
10-27-2018, 05:06 PM
I would like to use "cap" style TPMS sensors with locks and don't want to have to remove them while checking the air pressure manually.

Maybe I’m taking what you wrote too literally, but with the TST TPMS we have you don’t have to remove them to check the pressure. Turn on the display in the truck, and it displays the pressure in each tire.

I have to admit though, I have the flow-thru sensors, and am about ready to get rid of them and get a set of non-flow-thru ones. I have the hardest time holding everything in alignment to add air to the tire with the sensor on, without having air leak out around it. :facepalm:

MarkEHansen
10-27-2018, 05:31 PM
The TPMS system is a good quick check and to use down the road, but it doesn't replace actually checking the tire pressure (before the trip and when adding pressure) using a good quality pressure gauge. At least that's my take on it.

flybouy
10-27-2018, 05:39 PM
The TPMS system is a good quick check and to use down the road, but it doesn't replace actually checking the tire pressure (before the trip and when adding pressure) using a good quality pressure gauge. At least that's my take on it.

Mine are within a 1/2 lb of every mechanical gauge I've used so I do trust the readings seeing how I'm not entering any NASCAR races with it.

vampress_me
10-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Mine are within a 1/2 lb of every mechanical gauge I've used so I do trust the readings seeing how I'm not entering any NASCAR races with it.

That’s been my experience also, so I’m willing to believe what it tells me.

Ken / Claudia
10-28-2018, 02:40 PM
I asked the same question as post #13. With the TPMS, no need to remove caps or put a gauge on any wheel. Turn on the unit and see what it reads. I find a tire or two may need a few pounds. I am getting ready for a 15 day trip elk hunting and have not used the TT in months. 3 tires need air, down 5 and 8 pounds from max. When I got mine I tested the unit reading with 2 gauges and found psi the same in the 2 readings and unit so I trust it.

flybouy
10-28-2018, 06:37 PM
Mine are not the flow thru type but I don't consider it any more inconvenience when adding air. For me, removing the sensor is easier than removing a valve stem cap as I can get a better grip on the larger sensor. YMMV.

art1046
11-03-2018, 04:52 PM
e-Trailer sells some.

MarkEHansen
11-03-2018, 04:58 PM
I've been all over etrailer.com and can't find these. If you have a link, I would sure appreciate it.

PSHJR
11-03-2018, 08:31 PM
I've been all over etrailer.com and can't find these. If you have a link, I would sure appreciate it.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/TireMinder/TM-FLOW-THRU.html

This is what I found.

MarkEHansen
11-04-2018, 06:43 AM
Oh, right. That's an adapter, not a valve stem. I'm talking about the valve stem that is installed into the wheel.

Thanks.