PDA

View Full Version : No air flow in front vent

steve.parks90
10-20-2018, 01:01 PM
We have a 2015 keystone passport ultra elite. I was preparing for a chilly weekend and turned on the central heat and had little to no air flow coming from the floor vent in front of the bed. Does it need to be cleaned out? Any suggestions will be appreciated

Canonman
10-20-2018, 04:07 PM
In a recent post about the same issue, the owner found the duct work had come off the register. Wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the floor register and inspect the register and duct for any issues. If all is good go to the next duct in line towards the furnace and check there as well.
You can install registers that allow you to restrict the amount of air (partially closed) coming out. Doing this in the main living area should force more air to the bedroom. Just don't close them all the way. This can cause other issues if the airflow is too restricted.

JRTJH
10-20-2018, 04:12 PM
You say that it's a 2015 model. Did the register in the front bedroom provide hot/warm air in the past? or is this a new problem?

steve.parks90
10-20-2018, 04:38 PM
I just bought it in January of this year I know that the heat was working but I don’t remember checking the airflow to the bedroom

slow
10-20-2018, 06:26 PM
Looks like you have a 23RB. Mine is also a 2015.

As suggested, remove the vent cover and confirm that the duct is connected.

The issue I had was a pinched duct hose and excess duct hose. I had to drop a portion of the comoplast to reroute it.

But the real fix was adding adjustable dampers at the furnace to balance the air flow. Also took the opportunity to add a heat register to the bathroom.

Photos of what I did are in my photo album if interested.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=695

Ccrew
10-26-2018, 07:33 PM
You can install registers that allow you to restrict the amount of air (partially closed) coming out. Doing this in the main living area should force more air to the bedroom. Just don't close them all the way. This can cause other issues if the airflow is too restricted.

Be careful with this as a blanket statement. I have a 220RBI, and replaced all the registers with the type you described. Most these days however have plastic vanes inside. Due to the distance from of the living area register to the furnace being so close in a 220RBI + having the thermal package 30k BTU furnace, the vents get extremely hot and those plastic vanes melted. If they can melt they potentially can burn.

Coroplast under the trailer unaffected and there's a vent dump at the furnace to the underbelly so it's not like the furnace is blowing flames down it's vents.

cookinwitdiesel
10-26-2018, 08:15 PM
My Hideout 28RKS has very low airflow in the bedroom (bedroom is at front, furnace is at back under kitchen cabinet). The airflow drops off sequentially across the 4 vents with the one in kitchen by the furnace being the highest, and the one in the bedroom being the furthest and lowest. I am not sure there is an easy solution to this.

When you have multiple registers in a commercial design on a single path, you can see that the duct necks down after each vent to reduce the cross sectional area and maintain air pressure downstream. Pretty confident that level of attention to design is NOT present in our trailers.

Easy solution? Get a regular fan that can push hot air down towards other end of the trailer, or just take up the register nearest the furnace, tape 1/2 or 1/3 of it to block the output, and put it back in place. This effectively increases the resistance of that vent and pushes more air pressure back into the duct resulting in more air flow downstream. You can think of it like resistors in parallel in a circuit. The one with the lowest resistance will carry the highest current - but if you increase that resistance, the load will distribute across the others in the same system. It is the EXACT same physics at play here. Easy way to test this out to find the best balance for your trailer, just get a large hardcover book (like a text book from school) and place it over the vent partially blocking it. You can adjust the blocked portion until you find the right balance before doing tape or anything that is longer term. You may need to partially obscure a couple vents before you get the desired airflow in the bedroom - remember, if you make one vent higher resistance, now a new one will become the lowest and be where the most air escapes from, so you have to balance across the entire system to get the desired effect.

kcamp99186
10-27-2018, 08:19 AM
I had the same issue in my 2015 30RIPR. The furnace is under the fridge and when I removed the access panel I found the the bedroom flexible duct had come loose. Good luck!

flybouy
10-27-2018, 09:41 AM
We have a 2015 keystone passport ultra elite. I was preparing for a chilly weekend and turned on the central heat and had little to no air flow coming from the floor vent in front of the bed. Does it need to be cleaned out? Any suggestions will be appreciated

If you do a search on heat register you will likely get more relevant results than vent as vent is referencing the hatch or opening to the outside. There have been numerous posts on heating and distribution of heated air on this forum. Happy reading.