PDA

View Full Version : Battery / Converter Issue

spreadx1
08-03-2011, 09:44 AM
My battery isn't getting charged when the trailer runs off 110 power. We basically leave the trailer in one place (a hunt camp) and has continuous 110 power run to it, however a couple months ago, the battery was shot and the 12v lights, etc went dim, then out. I replaced the battery and everything worked fine. I haven't been back to the trailer in a month or so (and left nothing running) and today, the air, lights, etc ran fine for about 20 mins, then started to go dim and ultimately went down completely. With the battery being essentially new, I'm thinking there must be an issue with whatever charges the battery (again, the trailer has continuous 110 power run to it). Any ideas?

A few additional notes (not sure if it's related or not):
- the first time this happened a few months ago, one or both of the 40amp fuses at the panel were blown. I replaced both fuses and battery and everything worked fine for the 2 days I was there, but then I haven't been back since until today and the issue with the 12v / battery came up again, but fuses weren't blown this time.
- a weird thing happened when I pulled one of the 40amp fuses out to check it - upon removing the fuse, all of the 12v lights, a/c, etc began working again, so I put the fuse back in and about 5 mins later, the lights went dim again and the a/c shut off.

Secondly, since this trailer stays put and always has 110 power to it, is there a way to just bypass the use of the battery alltogether?

Thanks in advance for the help!

BigCajun
08-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Sounds like a bad converter or loose lugs on the converter. I had a similar situation and found the electrical lugs loose so I was getting a bad connection and blowing the 40 amp fuses on the converter.

campingcpl
08-04-2011, 06:45 AM
We had a similar problem on a trip last summer. We could go a day or two and then the lights would start to get dim but yet all the 110v stuff would work fine. I would have to plug the trailer into the truck to charge the battery. If you are pluged into shore power then you shouldn't be using any of your battery, that's what the converter is for. But if the converter stops working then it relies on the battery to power your 12v. I ended up replacing the converter and everything worked fine. I would say you need to replace the converter. An easy way to check to see if the converter is bad is to disconnect the battery while you are still connected to shore power and see if your 12v appliances work. If they do then your converter is working properly and to make sure that there is a charge getting to your battery use a circuit tester and check to make sure there is atlease 13 + volts at the battery leads. I hope this helps and good luck.