PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at satellite connection

Terry W.
10-16-2018, 06:11 PM
Will attempt to connect a Dish Wally and Playmaker to our 2012 Avalanche. Have sat. connection outside and 3 connection below main TV. One is ant. used now. How do I know which one of the other two to connect to?

GHen
10-16-2018, 06:24 PM
Sometimes those antenna connections are not wired correctly. I would suggest wiring the system through a window direct from the the sat to the Wally and to the tv. You may need to change the source setting on the tv. Once you know it all works, connect to your outside connection and then just try all three behind the tv. When you get the right combination it will pop right up on the tv. Make sure the power to the over the air antenna amp is turned off if it’s set up for an amp. It’s normally shows a green light on one of the connections behind your tv.

Wyldfire
10-16-2018, 06:56 PM
On our Cougar you have to disconnect the short jumper and hook Wally to top connection. Save a lot of frustration as noted before. Make sure everything works before hooking to camper

Frederick
10-17-2018, 04:34 AM
IN y alpine outside Sat. connections on RV would not work had to go thru window direct to power box then wally to TV.. Was told by dish that they have lots of trouble with rv prewired connections

Mikendebbie
10-17-2018, 05:45 AM
I have a tailgater with a ViP211z black box. I could never get it to work with the docking station input labeled "satelite" on my 2017 Laredo 330RL, and it will not work with my current Montana. Much discussion on this subject on the Montana forum. It seems the many splitters used in the wiring configurations installed by Keystone degrade the signal to a point where it can't get thru (basic explaination).

My solution for the Laredo and the Montana is to run a flat coax section thru the window for a direct connection between the tailgater and the Vip211z black box and skip the built-in connections.

My goal is to feed a new separate/direct coax thru the slide with the TV to the convenience center so I can direct hook up the tailgater there and not do the "thru the window" thing. Initially DW did not like the appearance of the coax coming thru the window and across a small section of wall to the TV. She has not complained in several months, and being the lazy bass turd that I am - this task is still "on the list" of things to do.

Terry W.
10-17-2018, 07:55 AM
I went thru the window directly to the box and all is good, happy wife happy life. My plan now is I will install a connection thru the outside wall directly to box and be done with it. If watching on outside TV just move the box to that tv. This way I still can use OTA ant. if not watching a satellite channel. Thank you all for your help.

Terry W.
10-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Then when I get home I'll switch to dish at home, unhappy with direct TV anyway. Then just add $7.00 fee to home Bill for camper.

Terry W.
10-17-2018, 01:50 PM
All went well now have a coax connection on outside of camper right next to entertainment center. Came in behind stereo cut small hole in shelf ran power, coax in and HDMI out for Wally all wires hidden. I did good said happy wife. I bypassed all camper satellite wiring.

MattE303
10-17-2018, 02:26 PM
All went well now have a coax connection on outside of camper right next to entertainment center. Came in behind stereo cut small hole in shelf ran power, coax in and HDMI out for Wally all wires hidden. I did good said happy wife. I bypassed all camper satellite wiring.

yup, that's the way to do it, much easier than sorting out the mess installed by the factory. In my case I was able to use the factory wall plates inside and out, just replaced their wiring mess with my own straight run of RG6.

Whit66
03-31-2019, 04:45 AM
That sounds like a great solution.... I have a 2019 Cougar Fifth Wheel and my wiring is always a mess.. May I ask if you took a picture where you added the satellite connection.

Thanks

rbrdriver
04-02-2019, 12:15 AM
On our Alpine we found out our pre-wiring was crap, so we opened it all up and replaced it with good quality wiring and connectors, now works great!

Redvoyager
04-15-2019, 10:51 AM
We just got a 324rlb and when I hooked up the dish to the prep connection out dies it didn’t work. I put the receiver in the compartment and the output of the receiver to the prep connection and the signal came through. So I put the receiver back inside and it didn’t work. I was going to run a new line like I’ve read others do but as a last resort I deleted the elbow connector at the prep jack. Now all works perfect...

Badbart56
04-15-2019, 01:12 PM
We just went with a Firestick and streaming. We use the roof ant. for local programming. No more cable headaches.

Whit66
04-15-2019, 01:13 PM
May I ask where the elbow might be located?

Whit66
04-15-2019, 01:16 PM
May I ask where this short jumper is in your trailer?

thanks

Redvoyager
04-15-2019, 07:52 PM
The elbow was on the port labeled “sattelite prep” in the basement compartment

Whit66
04-26-2019, 03:48 AM
I wanted to Thank you, I went into the basement of my 30RLS found the splitter and connected directly into the black cable and now my satellite works...

Big1
06-26-2019, 11:29 PM
Do you guys have any pics of your installed? I'm having problem with mines.