PDA

View Full Version : Mounting 7" backup camera

fjr vfr
10-16-2018, 07:52 AM
I'm just looking at some rear view cameras. The ones I like have 7" monitor screens. Looking at my truck, 2008 Ram 2500, I can't see anyplace where I could mount one of these without blocking my vision of the road.
If you have one of these, where did you mount it and still have a clear vision ahead? I'm looking for an idea.

Thanks

OregonDuck
10-16-2018, 11:44 AM
Hi fjr vfr. My 5th wheel came pre-wired for a Furrion. I purchased the observation version to utilize while driving (better signal/performance than the back-up version). I have a Ford F250; was able to use the provided suction cup adapter to place it in the lower left corner of the windshield; it was easy to basically mount it horizontally if that makes sense, allowing the screen to be placed as low and to the left as possible. Works well, and doesn't obstruct my vision.

cookinwitdiesel
10-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Can you share a picture of your setup OregonDuck?

OregonDuck
10-16-2018, 07:03 PM
Can you share a picture of your setup OregonDuck?

You bet!

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1xTklice9kKkK0YCiTWLLRDqV4H3wOv9N

cookinwitdiesel
10-16-2018, 09:02 PM
Just to clarify, that is the 4.3" monitor right? A 7" would obviously block the field of view more significantly.

OregonDuck
10-16-2018, 09:14 PM
Correct and my bad!

WNY Bullet
10-17-2018, 02:50 AM
I have a smaller monitor, but I rubber band it to my rearview mirror. It's out of the way of blocking my road vision. You may be able to do it with your 7' screen too and the mirror is useless anyways.

JRTJH
10-17-2018, 06:43 AM
I use Velcro adhesive strips on the back of my rear view mirror and Velcro "fuzzy strips" on the back of my 7" monitor. I mount it on the right side of my rear view mirror during towing and store it in the console when not towing. There's about 3 or 4 inches of "exposed mirror" when the monitor is mounted, just enough to see the nose of the trailer and tell that it's still there. Essentially, the monitor becomes my "rear view mirror" as I still see what's behind the rig.

fjr vfr
10-17-2018, 03:00 PM
I use Velcro adhesive strips on the back of my rear view mirror and Velcro "fuzzy strips" on the back of my 7" monitor. I mount it on the right side of my rear view mirror during towing and store it in the console when not towing. There's about 3 or 4 inches of "exposed mirror" when the monitor is mounted, just enough to see the nose of the trailer and tell that it's still there. Essentially, the monitor becomes my "rear view mirror" as I still see what's behind the rig.

That seems like a good option, but what about the extra weight on the mirror? Are you concerned about it coming unglued?

JRTJH
10-17-2018, 04:38 PM
That seems like a good option, but what about the extra weight on the mirror? Are you concerned about it coming unglued?

It hasn't in the past 8 years on three vehicles, so no, I'm not concerned with the mirror being pulled from the windshield glass mount. If it does, I suppose I'll start to worry, but so far, never an issue.

As an added thought, the monitor probably doesn't weigh much more than a pair of "FUZZY DICE"

Old Mustanger
10-17-2018, 07:36 PM
John, any chance you can post a picture of how you locate the Velcro strips to the mirror? My thick head can't figure it out. :o :confused:

MattHelm21
10-17-2018, 08:57 PM
Sorry this is not the best picture. The monitor is mounted to the windshield with a suction cup arm just to the right of the rear view mirror and just above the dashboard. I’ll post back with a better picture if I find one. It doesn’t block the driver’s view in any way and not much of the passenger view.

JRTJH
10-18-2018, 05:18 AM
John, any chance you can post a picture of how you locate the Velcro strips to the mirror? My thick head can't figure it out. :o :confused:

Jerry,

I took two strips of adhesive Velcro, about 1' long and on the fuzzy half of the Velcro, I cut the plastic backing tape (the one you pull off to expose the adhesive) in the middle of the strip so that there were 3 "sections" of the plastic backing, each about 4" long. I pulled the film from the center section, leaving the backing on both ends. I stuck that to the back of a 2" wide aluminum strip and then used double stick tape to fasten that to the back of the monitor with the Velcro toward the ends. What you'll have is two "tails" on each Velcro strip, one on each end of the back of the monitor.

Then I positioned the monitor where I wanted it on the mirror, folded the top tails over the back and marked that spot on the back of the mirror (actually the part of the mirror that's closes to the windshield which is really the front). I peeled the plastic backing off the "rough side" of two 3" Velcro strips and put them on the back of the mirror where the tails folded over.

To "install the monitor" I put it in position on the mirror, fold over the top tails to "hang it in place" and then fold the bottom tails behind the mirror and attach them to the Velcro also. Essentially, the Velcro on the monitor "folds around the mirror and sticks to the rough side of the Velcro tab on the back of the mirror holding the monitor "top and bottom" to that rough Velcro that's taped to the back of the mirror.

I'll try to get a photo later today. We're in a campground in southern Tennessee and forgot our camera at our niece's house when visiting and haven't been back to get it yet.

fjr vfr
10-18-2018, 05:51 AM
As an added thought, the monitor probably doesn't weigh much more than a pair of "FUZZY DICE"[/QUOTE]

That's reassuring. I haven't seen one in person, it looks much heavier.
Thanks.

JRTJH
10-18-2018, 06:05 AM
As an added thought, the monitor probably doesn't weigh much more than a pair of "FUZZY DICE"

That's reassuring. I haven't seen one in person, it looks much heavier.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

It's about the same or maybe a little less than a 7" Amazon Fire tablet weighs....

Mates Family
10-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Here is what we came up with, as we had the same problem of blocked vision with a large montior.
We bought a mount from RAM Mounts. It mounts to the Driver's Seat Base and utilizes a malleable aluminum rod. The mount is a Ball and Cup. The Ball is mounted on the back side of my monitor with double sided tape. The monitor sits level with the top of my center console. Doesn't block any vision or dash controls.

fjr vfr
10-19-2018, 01:31 PM
That's interesting. I'll do a search online. I used RAM mounts for years on my motorcycles. I didn't even think about them for this application. Thanks for the post.

Mates Family
10-19-2018, 01:34 PM
Hope it works for you. I use two of them side-by-side. One for the monitor and one for the GPS Unit.

fjr vfr
10-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Just ordered one from EBAY. I hope it is the solution? I'll post back in a week or two with the results.
Thanks for the idea.

LaTundra
10-25-2018, 09:15 AM
My Garmin RV660 GPS is 6 inches. There is a 7 inch, RV770. It can accept up to 4 wireless backup cameras. I mounted 1 on my truck bumper, wired to the backup light. I mounted the 2nd under the tail light on the camper, wired to the running lights. When I backup into a sight, the truck backup camera kicks in, then I just push a button on the GPS and the TT backup camera kicks in. Works Great! I can access the TT camera while driving, but the vibration causes the screen to freeze up.

markjamestx
10-25-2018, 01:05 PM
There was a thread last month on backup cameras. I bought the 7" Zerox and had little to no reception 50' to back of TT. Sent it back for a refund and bought a 4.3" Furrion and it works perfectly with real-time display. The 7" was very nice and I have to strain to make out the 4.3" but it works without interruption.

Your choice, I just would not buy the Zerox at about 1/2 the price.

cookinwitdiesel
10-25-2018, 01:21 PM
I will be using the EchoMaster Intellihaul setup integrated into my GMC infotainment system. To help the reception issue, I am going to run a 25' SMA cable from the back of the camera to the front of my trailer and mount the antenna there. Bringing it much closer to the truck cab and receiver as well as removing a lot of the aluminum bodied trailer from the signal path. If your camera has an external antenna, it likely uses the same connector type and something similar should be possible to help with reception.

Fishsizzle
10-25-2018, 06:37 PM
I had one of these in my 2010. Used a Ram X mount. Will hold phone or screen

Panavise Dash Mount for Ford F-150 2015 - 2016 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CF4TV9E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_x1N0BbZCC4TM3

RAM Mounts (RAP-B-138-UN7U) Composite Flat Surface Mount with Universal X-Grip Cell/Iphone Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JH0XH6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_B3N0BbY3GAJDS

cookinwitdiesel
10-25-2018, 08:13 PM
I have been getting good stuff from this company for a long time:

https://www.proclipusa.com/

Makes it easy to mount stuff just about anywhere and they have adapters to accept common size ball mounts like Garmin

Grayghostcsa
10-26-2018, 05:13 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10216319129626362&set=pcb.1859564294126757&type=3&theater&ifg=1
This is the mount I came up with for my F-150 and the Furrion Observation Monitor. The modular system is a combination of the dash bracket from BuiltRight Industries and bits and pieces from RAM Mounts. Works really well. I can also mount my GPS beside the Monitorl

fjr vfr
10-26-2018, 07:18 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10216319129626362&set=pcb.1859564294126757&type=3&theater&ifg=1
This is the mount I came up with for my F-150 and the Furrion Observation Monitor. The modular system is a combination of the dash bracket from BuiltRight Industries and bits and pieces from RAM Mounts. Works really well. I can also mount my GPS beside the Monitorl

Where's the pictures? :)

Here is pictures of my mount I just installed. I haven't installed the camera yet, but will do the next good weather day.

efrulla
10-26-2018, 12:40 PM
I have the Furion Observation model. I use the suction mount to mount it right directly underneath my rear view mirror. It does not interfere one bit with my ability to drive and being a creature of habit I look towards the general area of the rear view mirror when I want to see what is behind me.