PDA

View Full Version : tire compessor

grey ghost
10-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Looking for an easy to use and portable air compressor that I can use to fill my RV tires when needed. Would like something that I can run either off a cigarette lighter in the truck while on the road or from the shore supply at the campground or both if possible. I've looked around and wondered if anyone has used the following one:
TireTek RX-i Digital Car Tire Inflator Air Pump - 12v Portable Air Compressor With Auto Shut Off. Found it on Amazon along with others, but this one looked pretty good with good reviews and it was cheap.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I don't want to spend a lot of money on one either!!

Canonman
10-15-2018, 11:40 AM
I picked up a Bon-Aire 12 Volt Inflator (TC12C) at Costco. It's a two cylinder unit and can fill up an 80psi tire in around 5 minutes. Cost was about $35.
Be sure to keep the motor running as these will draw enough current to deplete your battery.

cookinwitdiesel
10-15-2018, 11:52 AM
I guess portability can be relative? I have one of these I will be keeping in the back of the truck on outings:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O5RO1Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can run it off of either the trailer (when connected to shore line), my generator (that will also be in truck) or off the truck itself (has a 120v outlet installed).

Manufacturer site says it draws up to 10 Amps

Edit: Did some reading and the 120V in the truck cab is a JOKE at 150W max output - so guess it will be filled with pressurized air before heading out so I can at least get a head start on any air needs on the road

GHen
10-15-2018, 01:04 PM
I have a combo air compressor and battery jump box, works well for me. I don’t need to keep it plugged, can jump the Truck if needed and will also power up the RV if batteries are dead and can’t hook up the truck. It’s powerful enough to run the slides and the levelers. Great multipurpose backup.

sourdough
10-15-2018, 01:15 PM
I don't recall running across a compressor powered by both 12vdc and 120vac. I, and I think most, carry a compressor for either voltage.

I've not had any luck with the compressors like you've listed. I've had 3, one is on a shelf in the garage and one is on the shelf in the barn - I don't use either of them with the exception of a bicycle tire or wheelbarrow etc. They are very slow and will burn up if you run them too long trying to fill up a large tire. One is a Kobalt and I don't recall the other. Trying to air up the tires on my truck from 65 to 80 psi seemed like an all day affair.

For 12vdc I use a Viair 400p - MUCH faster than the smaller units. For 120vac I use a small Fini compressor from Lowe's that fill the bill for me.

GHen
10-15-2018, 01:34 PM
You are correct, I use the combo box for adding a couple pounds of air as needed, not filling a big tire from zero.
4x4 shops have great air compressors for Jeeps and such. They drop pressure to 5 pounds or so and back up again for the drive home. Don’t recall the brand I had, but it was $100 or more I’m sure.

notanlines
10-16-2018, 01:49 AM
"Edit: Did some reading and the 120V in the truck cab is a JOKE at 150W max output" Might I ask why your outlet is a joke? I find that both front and rear are handy as a pocket watch. I :facepalm: when I read that you thought the Porter Cable compressor should run off the truck receptacle. That compressor probably pulls about 1200 or so watts on startup.

Frank G
10-16-2018, 02:17 AM
Last Christmas I received a Ryobi 18V battery inflator. (Home Depot) It is the most used tool I have. 80psi tires, no problem. No cord, built in gauge. The battery works on all there other stuff. Add the 1/2" impact wrench (same Battery) and make tire changing fun again!

Bisjoe
10-16-2018, 07:57 AM
I bought a combination jump starter/tire inflator on Amazon, made by Stanley, and it works great. Also has two USB charger ports. I just make sure to plug it in (to 110) and charge fully before a trip. It will do up to 120 lbs. pressure. I paid $49 though now I see that Walmart has it for $44.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-FatMax-700-Amp-Peak-Jump-Starter-with-Compressor-J7CS/38243753

Ken / Claudia
10-16-2018, 08:12 AM
I have gone through 2 12v styles, and have a 3rd of the cheap type. They burn out from overheating when trying to get truck tires from low to normal psi. What I found is use then for maybe 5 mins than shut off to cool and start again. No matter it takes a long time to air up truck tires. My son has a 12v that is over 100 bucks that does not over heat and uses it on his jeep a lot while driving the jeep to area where he goes off road and back home again. I do not call it cheap. But, would work, sorry I do not have the name, it is popular with off roaders.
As for cheap and works, I found the 40 dollar compressor at HF which is 110v. 2 1/2 gal air tank. Lasted now over 4 years, even use it with air tools putting sliding on house etc. Light weight and somewhat small, I carry it in the truck bed when dry camping, hunting etc. right along with the genny.

ChuckS
10-16-2018, 09:27 AM
If you want a portable 12 volt compressor I’d suggest getting one that has battery clips and run it directly from battery. Cig lighter ones ain’t he best.

I carry a porter cable pancake 150 psi unit in fifth wheel and have two Honda generators to use to run it if no shore power.

cookinwitdiesel
10-16-2018, 09:39 AM
"Edit: Did some reading and the 120V in the truck cab is a JOKE at 150W max output" Might I ask why your outlet is a joke? I find that both front and rear are handy as a pocket watch. I :facepalm: when I read that you thought the Porter Cable compressor should run off the truck receptacle. That compressor probably pulls about 1200 or so watts on startup.

Ya I did not realize how high the power draw is on that compressor. That was my bad. But on the built in outlet, 150W is not even enough to run a large laptop let alone anything serious. It is a glorified phone charger pretty much.

khb0112
10-28-2018, 08:03 AM
If you're still looking, this one seems to have a number of different power point options:
http://a.co/d/8yywAAC

RayT
10-28-2018, 08:04 AM
Porter-Cable CMB15 has worked great for me. Both for tire inflation and other jobs where a small compressor comes in handy.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-CMB15-Oil-Free-Shrouded-Compressor/dp/B006CVXGR0?keywords=Porter-Cable+CMB15&qid=1540742655&sr=8-1-fkmrnull&ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1

PKraus29
10-28-2018, 08:56 AM
I bought a combination jump starter/tire inflator on Amazon, made by Stanley, and it works great. Also has two USB charger ports. I just make sure to plug it in (to 110) and charge fully before a trip. It will do up to 120 lbs. pressure. I paid $49 though now I see that Walmart has it for $44.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-FatMax-700-Amp-Peak-Jump-Starter-with-Compressor-J7CS/38243753

Curious if you have actually tested the compressor, I have a 12 volt that is rated to 160 psi and tried to fill my truck tires from 70 to 75 psi and it took 30 minutes to get them to 73 for each tire. My trailer tires need to be at 110 psi and it hard to find a compressor (even at a truck stop) that will work.

fourfourto
10-28-2018, 09:10 AM
I mounted one under the hood with air hose connecting under side step.
Saves room and airs up tires quick.
Under hood light comes in handy

Jacketsbum
10-28-2018, 10:28 AM
I just carry one of these from Ryobi, works great, will inflate anything and I can carry it anywhere.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Cordless-Power-Inflator-Tool-Only-P737/206159256

Third Degree
10-28-2018, 10:32 AM
I have the Slime 40026. It has the clips that attach to the battery. The compressors that use the cigarette light will not be enough. So far it works great for my 80 psi trailer tires.

xrated
10-28-2018, 11:23 AM
I've post this up before in another thread, but I bought a DeWalt 6 gallon pancake compressor to use. Since the trailer has an onboard generator, I can fire that up and start the compressor if needed, or I can just fill the compressor tank before leaving the house. A 6 gallon tank will certainly top off a tire or two, and if needed, I can plug it in and run the compressor again. 160 psi and I carry a 50' long air hose and a shorter "curly" hose that stretches.

Salty25
10-28-2018, 11:26 AM
I went with this Ryobi. Filled four tires to 80 psi on a charge without a problem.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Cordless-Dual-Function-Inflator-Deflator-Tool-Only-P731/203060297

packnrat
10-28-2018, 12:01 PM
jump down to a big box hardware store, there are many choices. even a portable battery powered unit (no cable for power thing).
but if you buy a ac voltage unit, KEEP your power supply aka generator turned on.
you can even think hard mount, and only have to run around with a air hose to each tire as needed. as even the small units can get "heavy" the cheap inflaters at wally world, k-mart (they still around?), cost-co. are just good to loosen your wallet. and some can not get up to 100+psi. no tank, and will take a very long time to get any job done. :facepalm:
read the working psi, load ratings, and service time.
for about $150 usd, a very good unit can be bought. add in fittings and air line, you will be golden for any air needs.

CaptnJohn
10-28-2018, 12:22 PM
Porter-Cable CMB15 has worked great for me. Both for tire inflation and other jobs where a small compressor comes in handy.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-CMB15-Oil-Free-Shrouded-Compressor/dp/B006CVXGR0?keywords=Porter-Cable+CMB15&qid=1540742655&sr=8-1-fkmrnull&ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1

That is the one I bought a while back. Then Amazon wanted $129 and Farm & Fleet was $87 + FREE shipping.

brodiegg
10-28-2018, 03:31 PM
I have a battery backup that I carry, but I got a 6 gallon air compressor on Amazon and it is faster, but have to go to the storage area to recharge it between inflations--only get two tires on one charge if they are low, but I winterized the coach in about 30 min so it has adual purpose.

idcruiserman
10-28-2018, 06:39 PM
I got an 8 gal 125psi max quiet unit at walmart for $125 last year. Used it with generator to fill up tires to 110psi. We were full timing, so it was worth it to me to spend the extra money.

Tireman9
10-29-2018, 06:23 AM
If you are running a TPMS (which you, of course, should be)you should have plenty advance notice of needing to add 3 to 5 psi due to normal air loss and pressure change due to change in ambient temperature, such that you can top off your tires at your next fuel stop.

If you don't have TPMS and have been driving on a tire that needs more than 20% of it's needed inflation, you should be calling road service and have the tire changed as there is a good chance you may have done internal structural damage to the tire making it unsafe to re-inflate the tire till it has had a complete internal and external inspection by a trained tire service person (not just the guy that mounts tires who probably has not received the training. AFTER the inspection the tire should only be inflated in an approved safety cage as doing otherwise can lead to serious personal injury.

Cheryl
10-29-2018, 04:17 PM
Last Christmas I received a Ryobi 18V battery inflator. (Home Depot) It is the most used tool I have. 80psi tires, no problem. No cord, built in gauge. The battery works on all there other stuff. Add the 1/2" impact wrench (same Battery) and make tire changing fun again!We also use this and love it! So easy.

EricHarmon
11-01-2018, 07:42 AM
I was glad to read this reply! I was wondering also about compressors. I have that same piece of gear, but wasn't sure if it would be up to the task of a 5er. I'm a year away from ordering my rig (Keystone Montana 3120RL unless something changes!), and I'm slowly shopping for the necessities over the next year or so. As I told my wife the other day after I picked up a 50-amp to 30-amp converter, "$25 down, only $75,000 to go!" heh heh.