PDA

View Full Version : Far out generator question

Shawfamily
08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Ok, looking around I see this Generac QP40LP. 3400 watts, runs on propane, comes in an enclosure, and weighs 170 lbs. The enclosure is 30L x 19W x 14 H. If I build a mounting plate on the rear bumper, and secure it there, will it be shaken to pieces or should that be an ok mounting point. My only other option is to install a large access door in the side under the bunk beds, and install it there, although that sounds like alot of work, and I'd worry about my grandkids sleeping over the generator even if properly exhausted. Any pointers?

Festus2
08-02-2011, 02:39 PM
I would not mount a generator on the rear bumper unless you have done some reinforcement modifications to the rear bumper. Some members have welded a receiver hitch to the frame or made other modifications to adequately support any increased weight.
If it were me, I wouldn't be travelling down the highway with a generator mounted only on the bumper as it is presently configured. The additional and extended weight is going to result in a considerable increase in bouncing around back there.
Not sure if I would want to be following behind you either!
If you do a forum search, there are a number of members who have designed and built various types of generator boxes. Type in "generator box" or similar and see what you come up with.

Shawfamily
08-03-2011, 02:25 AM
Thanks Festus. I did some searching before and after my post. I didn't intend on mounting it without fabing a better securment at the rear. Trust me, if I were to mount it there, you wouldn't worry about following. I was just asking from an engineering viewpoint as vibration frquencies differ at different locations on a trailer. I just lack experience in owning RVs, and thought I'd see if anyone else had ideas on mounting locations. I just don't want to spend 2500 or more, get to a campsite, and have a cabinet full of loose parts. How about under the trailer's belly maybe? Has anyone seen that?