PDA

View Full Version : New member check in

MamaBear58
10-14-2018, 11:27 AM
My husband and I are brand new to RV'ing, other than owning a Westie a few years ago for (crowded) camping.
We live on Vancouver Island and have so many places to visit I have convinced hubby to give 5th wheeling a try. We own a lovely 2011 Ford F150 but we realize it will not tow what we want, so we are looking at trade ins to a F350 diesel. One RV dealer told my husband it was false economy to think that a diesel will save us much money. That is my first question for the forum on fuel.

My second question to those who have owned either a Cougar 5th wheel (we're looking at a 2019 29RKS) or those that have owned a Reflection by Grand Design, (the 2019 28BH). Any opinions or experiences with previous model years of these two different makes would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

chuckster57
10-14-2018, 03:42 PM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Fuel savings. Depends on what kind of mileage your going to get and the cost per liter. I can say from years of experience that towing any large fifth wheel, a diesel truck is the way to go.

We don’t sell Keystone trailers at my dealership, but we do sell Grand Design. The reflection is a very nice unit, and built well. They PDI with few issues so take it for what it’s worth. GD is now owned by Winnebago and I can’t say I’ve seen any significant drop in quality.

Good luck in your decision, and even if you do buy the reflection, your welcome here.

14george
10-14-2018, 03:43 PM
Welcome to the fourm congrats from Wv

66joej
10-14-2018, 04:30 PM
My husband and I are brand new to RV'ing, other than owning a Westie a few years ago for (crowded) camping.
We live on Vancouver Island and have so many places to visit I have convinced hubby to give 5th wheeling a try. We own a lovely 2011 Ford F150 but we realize it will not tow what we want, so we are looking at trade ins to a F350 diesel. One RV dealer told my husband it was false economy to think that a diesel will save us much money. That is my first question for the forum on fuel.

My second question to those who have owned either a Cougar 5th wheel (we're looking at a 2019 29RKS) or those that have owned a Reflection by Grand Design, (the 2019 28BH). Any opinions or experiences with previous model years of these two different makes would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
Just got back from an enjoyable month on the Island at Nanaimo.
Driving around the Island a Gasser would pull your 5er but if you have ever been over the Coquihalla you will NEED a diesel.JMO YMMV

travelin texans
10-14-2018, 07:17 PM
IMHO, any 5er at or near 10k lbs you need a diesel. The difference in fuel mileage or fuel cost will be only slightly different, but the towing ability of the diesel far exceeds any gasser. With the tow/haul & exhaust brake on the diesel it's almost effortless to tow a big 5er, flatlands or mountains. Not to mention with diesel you can pull into any truck stop to refuel, they don't have gas in the truck lanes.