PDA

View Full Version : Prewired backup camera - no power to camera

Dave Gamble
10-10-2018, 11:37 AM
I just picked up a 2019 Cougar 26RBS and it came with a prewired mount for a Vision 2 camera. I installed the camera and made sure the power connection was good and tight, but the camera isn't getting any power. If I take the camera and connect it to the power plug on the monitor, it works fine.

It seems like the power line installed at the factory isn't working. I don't know which pin of the 7 pin connector they used, so I can't test for power. All trailer lights, including reverse, all work.

Am I missing something?

Ddubya
10-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Most rear cameras on Keystone are wired to a dedicated 12V line which makes them on all the time. I would check the wires for 12VDC first. What some do is wire the camera to the clearance light that is above the camera mount. That way the camera is only on if the running lights are on.

JRTJH
10-10-2018, 01:02 PM
In the past Keystone has wired the rear camera power to the center running light on the rear of trailers. In order to get power, the trailer has to be hitched to the tow vehicle and the lights have to be turned on.

In a few models Keystone wired a "dedicated circuit" with a fuse located on the main 12 VDC fuse panel in the power distribution center. You might open the power center and see if there is a blank fuse spot that is either unmarked or marked "camera" or some such name.

Let us know what you find as there seems to always be a "new and innovative idea" at the factory ...

Dave Gamble
10-10-2018, 01:22 PM
I never thought about turning the lights on - I'll bet that's it. I'm not sure that I understand the logic of it, though. Thanks for the help!

Getn off
10-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Logic is probably just the easiest (cheapest) way to get power.
Pretty sure this is ur problem. Good luck!
Troy

smithfrh
10-10-2018, 02:23 PM
From what I have read the camera is wired into the running lights,hope this helps.

flybouy
10-11-2018, 01:24 PM
I never thought about turning the lights on - I'll bet that's it. I'm not sure that I understand the logic of it, though. Thanks for the help!

They probably didn't want to run the battery down while not being used!:lol::lol::lol: (the real reason is lower cost).

02duramax
10-11-2018, 04:14 PM
Yup I have 2019 outback 336cg.
Mine is tapped into the running-tail lights.

Randallf
10-11-2018, 07:39 PM
my 2017 sprinter u have to have the lights on for the camera to work
randy

LOMBANA
10-17-2018, 02:46 PM
What was the final outcome? Was it just that you didn't have the running lights on? Was it a fuse in the panel or was it no 12v connection and you have to run over to the center running light to tap?

Dave Gamble
10-17-2018, 06:21 PM
Yes, the lights have to be on. I guess it’s the only way of having complete on/off control of the camera.

Mkb
12-12-2023, 02:56 PM
I just got done hooking mine up on a 2021 outback. Keystone didn't hook the wire up on mine. It was there but not hooked to anything. I tied into a wire going to one of the lights.