PDA

View Full Version : Handicapped lift

bobz89013
10-09-2018, 05:41 PM
Has anyone installed one? Specifically the type that the person sits in a "chair and it raises them up and swings them inside.

bobz89013
10-09-2018, 05:54 PM
http://www.coachlift.com/rv-lift/

Something like the link above is what I am thinking about.

JRTJH
10-09-2018, 06:42 PM
I don't know if the frame on most trailers is strong enough to support that kind of weight. There's a "world of difference" between the frame on a motorhome and on a travel trailer.

You might want to send an email to the manufacturer and see if they have any models specifically designed to accommodate installation on a travel trailer.

bobz89013
10-10-2018, 03:23 AM
John
Yes they do make a version for both 5ers and travel trailers.

Bob

chuckster57
10-10-2018, 04:14 AM
Our shop hasn’t installed any, but I did see one on a class A and it was a very solid piece of equipment.

flybouy
10-10-2018, 05:35 AM
Never installed one but did see a TT at a show that was HC accessible. I looked it over closely and the door was oversized and the are where it was mounted was heavily reinforced. I would suggest some in depth communication with the manufacturer and an installer if you can find one in your area.

JRTJH
10-10-2018, 07:34 AM
John
Yes they do make a version for both 5ers and travel trailers.

Bob

Bob,

They make a model for travel trailers, but that doesn't mean that the framing on a Cougar or a Montana or a Hideout is strong enough to work with their "model built for trailers".... I know that my Cougar X-Lite door framing is not strong enough to support my body weight "levered in a chair lift" 24" outside of the trailer. My door frame "flexes with pulling on the entry handle" that came from Keystone as OEM. There's just no framing in most "light built trailers" that matches what was "built in the heavy weights" even a couple of years ago.

That's why I suggested you contact the manufacturer and ask them if they have a model that will work with your specific trailer brand/model. Just because they build something that will work with "some" travel trailers does not mean it will work with yours...... YMMV

travelin texans
10-10-2018, 07:46 AM
I've seen them on TTs, 5ers & motorhomes, but am certain after looking at them closely it's not a DIY add-on.

TLB
10-13-2018, 08:30 AM
I saw one installed on a trailer at the campground. The trailer was just about gutted on the inside so the person could move around in the wheelchair.

wiredgeorge
10-13-2018, 08:41 AM
I do handicapped often choose a toy hauler travel trailer as one of those presents the least amount of challenges to fit. The toy hauler ramp seems like a better idea than trying to glom on a heavy chair lift. If the person is wheel chair bound, perhaps a toy hauler without a closed bedroom (a door) would be pretty easy to work with. I am not sure about bathroom doors as most can't accommodate a wheel chail; I have to get a little sideways to get into ours. I think a handicapped accessible shower would be a challenge but I bet someone has done it.

A quick google:
https://www.rvproperty.com/handicapped-rvs-for-sale/
https://dunesport.com/toy-hauler/wheelchair-accessible

bobz89013
10-13-2018, 05:08 PM
Bob,

They make a model for travel trailers, but that doesn't mean that the framing on a Cougar or a Montana or a Hideout is strong enough to work with their "model built for trailers".... I know that my Cougar X-Lite door framing is not strong enough to support my body weight "levered in a chair lift" 24" outside of the trailer. My door frame "flexes with pulling on the entry handle" that came from Keystone as OEM. There's just no framing in most "light built trailers" that matches what was "built in the heavy weights" even a couple of years ago.

That's why I suggested you contact the manufacturer and ask them if they have a model that will work with your specific trailer brand/model. Just because they build something that will work with "some" travel trailers does not mean it will work with yours...... YMMV

I am talking with them an have no problem with them reinforcing the frame especially knowing the most RVs are built with aluminium studs. When I installed a handrail I made sure that I got it across a the studs available.

bobz89013
10-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Never installed one but did see a TT at a show that was HC accessible. I looked it over closely and the door was oversized and the are where it was mounted was heavily reinforced. I would suggest some in depth communication with the manufacturer and an installer if you can find one in your area.

Do not need the door widened she can walk but the stairs are hard for her right now.

Mikeha77
12-12-2019, 04:23 PM
We have elderly parents who we'll need to get in and out occasionally, so don't want to modify the trailer, but looking for a lift that can sit on the ground and then raise them up to the door then we can pull the chair in, or they can stand up and take a few steps in. When they aren't with us, then don't need it. Has anyone seen a lift like that that isn't permanently attached to the rig?
Thanks,
Mike