PDA

View Full Version : New type dog door?

BamaRam
10-08-2018, 08:10 PM
Found this on Facebook. Glad my dog is not a chewer. 😎😎

travelin texans
10-08-2018, 08:34 PM
If mine the very next post on FB would read "free dog, good travel companion!".

FlyingAroundRV
10-08-2018, 08:42 PM
It it was mine, my very next post would be extolling the virtues of dogs as bait in crab pots.

BamaRam
10-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Who leaves a working dog in a camper? They want to escape and chase livestock.

Alpine
10-08-2018, 08:58 PM
I saw this on FB as well... and wondered how a dog could actually bite a solid, hard, vertical, flat, slick panel of fiberglass/plastic??? The inside of the door must have been damaged for the dog to even get his first bite! Then after getting through the inside panel & Styrofoam... now getting through the exterior door sheet??? I have a few questions... can you tell? :D

rhagfo
10-08-2018, 09:20 PM
I saw this on FB as well... and wondered how a dog could actually bite a solid, hard, vertical, flat, slick panel of fiberglass/plastic??? The inside of the door must have been damaged for the dog to even get his first bite! Then after getting through the inside panel & Styrofoam... now getting through the exterior door sheet??? I have a few questions... can you tell? :D

Sharp untrimmed nails.

BamaRam
10-08-2018, 09:25 PM

If you’ll notice (the other pics on FB), the food and water dishes are empty. Could have been a factor.

Looks like he tore the inner panel out and then it was off to the races. If they can get enough pressure on the canines to penetrate, they will eat through it if they want to.

larry337
10-09-2018, 02:00 AM
More scene of the crime photos...188611886218863

chuckster57
10-09-2018, 04:11 AM
Makes me glad I have a cat!

flybouy
10-09-2018, 04:12 AM
In my opinion its either neglect or lack of training. We have camped with several breeds of dogs over the years. It just takes an investment in some time. We would leave the campsite, park at the office and walk back to the camper. Set quietly and listen for 15 -020 min. If everything was good slow extend away time. We also turn on ac unit or fan and radio to mask noise and provide rawhide chew bones. Before we were certain we would give neighbors our cell number and ask them to call if they started barking. Also would tape a note to front of unit with same info. No one wants to hear a barking dog on their camping trip. It's not rocket science, just common sense.
Edit, after looking at those pics closer the interior panels look like they have blood on them. That owner needs to put their dog in a kennel or with a dog sitter when they travel for the safety of the dog and the camper.

66joej
10-09-2018, 06:01 AM
Looking closely at the dog he still seems to be a pup. They love to chew!

sourdough
10-09-2018, 08:06 AM
In my opinion its either neglect or lack of training. We have camped with several breeds of dogs over the years. It just takes an investment in some time. We would leave the campsite, park at the office and walk back to the camper. Set quietly and listen for 15 -020 min. If everything was good slow extend away time. We also turn on ac unit or fan and radio to mask noise and provide rawhide chew bones. Before we were certain we would give neighbors our cell number and ask them to call if they started barking. Also would tape a note to front of unit with same info. No one wants to hear a barking dog on their camping trip. It's not rocket science, just common sense.
Edit, after looking at those pics closer the interior panels look like they have blood on them. That owner needs to put their dog in a kennel or with a dog sitter when they travel for the safety of the dog and the camper.

I hate to try to armchair quarterback on a deal like this but I have to agree with Flybouy. From everything I can see in the pictures it is a case of neglect and/or training. If these pics were in the immediate aftermath (and they appear they were), the lack of water or food could be a good indicator of what is going on but the lack of specifics on the situation make it hard to make that assessment.

I'm also of the opinion that if your dog is not trained to "chill" while you are gone and barks or becomes destructive it should be placed in a kennel. When we are on the road and make lengthy stays we many times book a week in some other area to go see the sites. We always take puppy to a kennel (after doing research and making a preliminary visit with puppy to make sure she likes it) and let her stay. It is a break for her that she seems to enjoy and frees us up to stay where we want.

In this pictured situation I feel sorry for the dog and the owners; for the dog because it was put in that position and felt it had to do what it did (apparently painfully as it does look like there may be blood on that door) and for the owner for the damage because he/she did not take the time to train the dog or take care of it properly.

LuvsPalmTrees
10-10-2018, 11:58 AM
I am with flybouy and sourdough. I had a pup that I could not trust to be alone. When we camped she went into her kennel with the air or fan on and radio up when we would leave the site. She liked her kennel and just slept while we were gone. My first pup and current pup are great. No kennel but I do leave the radio on and either the fan or a/c and water in the dish (pups eat on a schedule). People tell me they did not know we had a dog in there. We usually will take our dog with us if we can. That poor pup really did a number on the door and itself. How long was that dog left alone? I feel bad for the pup - they should know that it has separation anxiety and not leave it alone or take the appropriate precautions.

FlyingAroundRV
10-10-2018, 01:09 PM
More scene of the crime photos...188611886218863
Wow! At first I thought that was a photoshop job and I thought it was funny. Seeing those pics, it's not so funny anymore.
Hmmm, if I had a dog like that ...:censored:

travelin texans
10-10-2018, 03:35 PM
Wow! At first I thought that was a photoshop job and I thought it was funny. Seeing those pics, it's not so funny anymore.
Hmmm, if I had a dog like that ...:censored:

I'll finish the sentence,I wouldn't have much longer.
Sorry, pup or not, training or not, crappy owners or not, it's gone!!! Would chewing it's new owners door by dinner time.

Fishsizzle
10-11-2018, 04:52 AM
My old Wildcat Trailer I traded in this summer!

Side point, yes, crate training is the best possible gift you can give your dog. They are safe and protected from themselves. They bed down and relax.

John&Genny
10-11-2018, 08:03 AM
You have to love the ad tracking sometimes. In the message above the one I’m posting now there was an ad for Chewy.com with a bunch of hard rubber chew toys for dogs :lol: You will probably get a different ad, but that was so funny.

Andymil
10-11-2018, 09:52 AM
I got the chewy.com ad too. Kinda funny, but probably not a coincidence. :rolleyes:

Fishsizzle
10-15-2018, 05:03 AM
You have to love the ad tracking sometimes. In the message above the one I’m posting now there was an ad for Chewy.com with a bunch of hard rubber chew toys for dogs :lol: You will probably get a different ad, but that was so funny.

Installed an ad blocker few months ago and have been ad free since!

bobbecky
10-15-2018, 07:46 PM
And all this was from a puppy. Just think what an average sized bear could do if he wanted inside one of these RVs.

JRTJH
10-16-2018, 05:56 AM
And all this was from a puppy. Just think what an average sized bear could do if he wanted inside one of these RVs.

Or a crook with a size 12 boot and a screwdriver.... Many people have the "false sense of Fort Knox" when inside an RV. Most of our trailers are nothing more than a "rigid wall tent" when it comes to getting inside or getting outside, either through a door, a window or even through the wall. Cardboard backed fiberglass sheeting sandwiched to 1.5" of white Styrofoam board and a 1/8" sheet of cheap plywood covered in "designer vinyl wallpaper" doesn't stop much of anything or anyone who is determined.

flybouy
10-16-2018, 06:53 AM
Or a crook with a size 12 boot and a screwdriver.... Many people have the "false sense of Fort Knox" when inside an RV. Most of our trailers are nothing more than a "rigid wall tent" when it comes to getting inside or getting outside, either through a door, a window or even through the wall. Cardboard backed fiberglass sheeting sandwiched to 1.5" of white Styrofoam board and a 1/8" sheet of cheap plywood covered in "designer vinyl wallpaper" doesn't stop much of anything or anyone who is determined.

My line for someone who "lost" their keys...I have a universal set of keys, it's called a size 15 EEE shoe. LOL.
Modern bonded side campers remind me of walk in coolers and freezers, except they are built better.

bob91yj
10-16-2018, 07:20 AM
^^^^Doesn't say much for the quality of walk-in reefers!:rolleyes:

flybouy
10-16-2018, 08:02 AM
^^^^Doesn't say much for the quality of walk-in reefers!:rolleyes:
The "They are built better" was referencing the walk ins. They are typically a sandwich of 2 aluminum sheets which may or may not be covered in FRP with 2" of foam in between. The doors are hinged on heavy cam hinges that makes the doors mechanically self closing with a robust door latch/handle. All Fitting are stainless steel. Walls and ceilings are mechanically fastened with cam locks and all joints are sealed with an o ring type material..

bob91yj
10-16-2018, 10:31 AM
^^^^Misunderstood, I thought you were saying the trailers are built better.

labman
10-16-2018, 01:01 PM
don't think it's a puppy. looks like full size blue heeler. never met one I liked. but, I don't raise cattle.

FlyingAroundRV
10-16-2018, 03:07 PM
don't think it's a puppy. looks like full size blue heeler. never met one I liked. but, I don't raise cattle.
Yep, a blue heeler for sure. Those and Border Collies should not be kept as house pets. They are working dogs that are highly intelligent and border on OCD. They need to burn off LOTS of energy and when cooped up in a house with nothing to do, they go mental.
My SIL had a Border collie as a pet and it loved to fetch a tennis ball. The thing is, that dog would chase the ball until it dropped dead from a heart attack if you kept throwing the ball.

bob91yj
10-16-2018, 03:12 PM
We have a Boston Terrier/Blue Heeler mix. We adopted her when she was about 8 months old. She's about 2.5 now, she's been an awesome dog for us. She travels well, doesn't destroy anything and has been content with daily games of fetch at the dog park.

We lived in a sticks and bricks house with a fenced back yard when we got her, been in the travel trailer for a little over a year now.

66joej
10-16-2018, 04:28 PM

I think you are wrong John. I'm sure I didn't buy one of those.:D

JRTJH
10-16-2018, 04:38 PM
I think you are wrong John. I'm sure I didn't buy one of those.:D

If yours is fiberglass, I hate to be the bearer of bad news.... On the other hand, if yours is aluminum sided, that's the reason for the screwdriver (rather than the boot).... :whistling:

flybouy
10-17-2018, 04:57 AM
Yep, a blue heeler for sure. Those and Border Collies should not be kept as house pets. They are working dogs that are highly intelligent and border on OCD. They need to burn off LOTS of energy and when cooped up in a house with nothing to do, they go mental.
My SIL had a Border collie as a pet and it loved to fetch a tennis ball. The thing is, that dog would chase the ball until it dropped dead from a heart attack if you kept throwing the ball.

I think getting the wrong animal (breed of dog) is the downfall of many a dog owner. A working dog needs to be worked or they will get board. We had a sheltie and required exercise and work (playing fetch, running) BEFORE leaving him alone. Our Brittanys require exercise and working before leaving them. If the cg doesn't have a dog run we will take them to an isolated area and put them on a 30' lead and let them flush out the game. Many folks would do better for themselves and the animal if they get a cute and fuzzy stuffed animal instead of a live one. JMHO

bob91yj
10-17-2018, 05:24 AM
^^^^True statement for sure. One of my neighbors got a Weimeraner puppy. I've had one in the past, gorgeous dogs, great personalities...NOT a trailer dog.