PDA

View Full Version : Travels through NY State - Southern Tier Expressway

SummitPond
10-08-2018, 05:19 PM
I am planning a trip from Stillwater, MN (site of a family wedding) to southern Maine.

The last time we traversed NY state we took I-90 all the way. Yes, sticker shock for the tolls!

I figure if I get off I-90 onto I-86 (the Southern Tier Expressway) and cut across the state that way, rejoining I-90 outside Schenectady the tolls will be greatly reduced (something like $9 versus $70, based on the Thruway toll calculator (https://wwwapps.thruway.ny.gov/tollcalculator/index.aspx)). The southern route adds a negligible amount of travel distance.

I-90 is basically flat. How "bad" is I-86 through the mountains? We'll be doing this in the mid- to late May, so I'm not worried about snow (or should I?)

Thank you.

Ken

spade117
10-09-2018, 11:23 AM
I've traveled the area between Jamestown and Binghamton often, and that area is pretty similar to the thruway in terms of flatness. Can't add much about the areas on either sides of those towns.

Mid to late May should not have any snowfall, but it's not 100%...there have been a few late winter storms, but it is not common.

gregrc75
10-09-2018, 05:22 PM
I have traveled it from Angelica to Albany and it’s not much different from the thruway. Maybe slightly hillier but not too much at all. It’s a nice ride, less traffic too.