PDA

View Full Version : Fire down below

Dirtherder
10-01-2018, 07:13 AM
We had just pulled into our site and were leveling the unit (2017 Montana 3790RD) when I got a shower of sparks from underneath. One of the main power cables in the belly had abraded against the chassis and decided to short out creating a fire underneath. I had to cut out the sheeting to get to the flames. No power and slides are in. Lovely start to my week. I am waiting for an assessment from Keystone.

Tbos
10-02-2018, 06:21 AM
Hope it goes well.

Dirtherder
10-02-2018, 07:05 AM
Update. Having trouble getting service in Holbrook I think mostly due to bad weather. I did discover that the 12 volt circuits seem to be functioning fine so I can move my unit. Spoke with Keystone and they would like me to get to a service facility for a thorough evaluation. Have some scorched hydraulic lines also and as long as they hold we are good to go. I can live with 12 volts as long as everything else is working.

MattE303
10-02-2018, 11:28 AM
wow, that's really scary! If this was a car we were talking about, there would be a nation wide recall to address a safety issue like that, but since it's an RV ... "meh, whatever" :nonono:

JRTJH
10-02-2018, 02:37 PM
wow, that's really scary! If this was a car we were talking about, there would be a nation wide recall to address a safety issue like that, but since it's an RV ... "meh, whatever" :nonono:

Are you saying there would be an industry wide recall if one wiring harness in one car shorted out?

MattE303
10-02-2018, 02:51 PM
Are you saying there would be an industry wide recall if one wiring harness in one car shorted out?

of course not, but if, for example, a design defect caused a certain wiring harness to have a tendency to start fires in 2017 Ford Crew Cab 3.5 F150's, then yes, there would very likely be a recall on that model (or range of VIN's within it) to address the problem.

I think it's fair to say that a wiring harness that can become compromised (and start a fire) by rubbing against the chassis during normal driving is a design defect, and I don't think it would take a very large number of such occurrences to cause the recall.

flybouy
10-02-2018, 07:38 PM
of course not, but if, for example, a design defect caused a certain wiring harness to have a tendency to start fires in 2017 Ford Crew Cab 3.5 F150's, then yes, there would very likely be a recall on that model (or range of VIN's within it) to address the problem.

I think it's fair to say that a wiring harness that can become compromised (and start a fire) by rubbing against the chassis during normal driving is a design defect, and I don't think it would take a very large number of such occurrences to cause the recall.

I don't recall the OP saying it was a design defect or that a tech has even looked at it yet to determine the cause. We don't know if the battery was ever replaced, a wire added, or anything else for that matter. Typically the battery positive cable is a short run before being interrupted by a over amperage device to protect against this type of occurence.

Dirtherder
10-14-2018, 08:32 AM
Latest on our issue. The factory arranged for Evert's RV in Flagstaff to fix our RV. The dealer discovered a second broken weld as well an overabundance of wiring. The Dealer has been fantastic and the factory has been most supportive. The problem all started with faulty welds on the frame which broke loose under the slideout on the right side causing the 120v cable to abrade and started a fire when it grounded out. Evert's fixed that and is waiting for parts to finish the repairs. Hopefully we will be back on the road in the next few days. LCI manufactured the frame and has been apprised of the issues with the frame. Keystone has covered all repairs and Everts has been most responsive about getting the repairs done.

notanlines
10-14-2018, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the update. We all appreciate it. And good on ya for finding a good RV shop.

tmason
10-16-2018, 04:27 PM
I was having problems with my unit tripping the gfci when plugged into shore power. After several hours of isolating wires I found that the problem was a shorted wire to the outside plug.When I cut the belly open I found that the plug wiring was laying on the frame and being crushed by the flooring.I had to run a new wire to eliminate the problem.Thinking of changing the name to Passport by Yugo.