PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the camer for a day or 2

DTJ9610
08-01-2011, 06:55 AM
We have our camper at a site and leaving for a day or 2, as we have to work and don't need to stay at it (with permission-privaete membership resort). I'm looking to see if you do anything different when leaving it for a day or so. We left last night and I won't be back until tonight (only to sleep and leave in am for work). Then after that I won't be back until Wednesday night. Should I turn off the water heater (did this) and propane since it won't be used. I have the awning tied down incase there is a good gust of wind while not there and the AC is at 80 with the windows open a bit. Not sure if all this is necessary or not. Would like to hear your comments.

Thanks

jq1031
08-01-2011, 06:58 AM
I would also turn off the outside water while your away.

DTJ9610
08-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Yes, did that too - forgot. Didn't want the pressure just sitting there.

hankpage
08-01-2011, 07:38 AM
We leave the propane on in case of a power failure and set the fridge to auto. Coming home to a fridge full of spoiled food is not pleasant. If not coming home to sleep at night we turn A/C off with roof vents (covered) open and windows open a little. JM2¢, Hank

christopherglenn
08-01-2011, 11:57 AM
propane on, water off, ac set 80-85.

Festus2
08-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Rather than anchoring the awning while you are away, I would fold it up and put it away. I have seen too many campers leave their site on a calm day, awning tied down, only to come back to find their awning ripped to shreds and; in some cases, the arms ripped off the sides of the RV. You can bet that as soon as you leave, the wind will pick up.
It doesn't take long to take the awning down while you are away and if you consider the $$$$ you could spend in repairs, it just isn't worth it.
In our case, we never leave the awning up if we are going to be away from the RV for a few hours or overnight. But, you can leave it up, anchor it, and take your chances.

badge4
08-02-2011, 02:43 AM
I agree that you never leave the awning out no matter what. It just takes one good wind burst and you have damage to awning, support arms and possibly the trailer. Take five minutes and save yourself alot of money and aggravation. Just my thoughts

hankpage
08-02-2011, 04:34 AM
X3 ... awning rolled up