PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding heated tanks, and gate valves

RoscoeV
09-28-2018, 10:16 AM
I have a 2019 Laredo 325RL and according to the spec sheet I have heated, enclosed holding tanks & gate valves. How and when are these heated? I couldn't find anything in the material provided. I'm assuming they are heated using the 12 volt system and kick on at a certain temperature but I cant seem to find anything that states that and thought someone can provide an answer.

Thanks!

JRTJH
09-28-2018, 10:34 AM
Few of the Keystone brands have 120 VAC or 12 VDC heat blankets on holding tanks. Typically, the construction includes an open space "below the insulated floor" in which the holding tanks are mounted. The bottom of that space is covered with coroplast (corrugated plastic). Within that "holding tank space" the mylar heat ducts from the furnace run to registers for "above floor heating". There is some radiant heat transfer (heat loss) as the furnace output is pushed through these ducts by the furnace fan. In earlier years and possibly in current models as well, there is a 2" dedicated heat duct into that space. Realistically, a small 2" forced air duct into a space that is poorly insulated, 6' wide, 10" deep and which runs the entire length of the underbelly won't stay warm by that small duct. If you look "critically" at the underbelly of your trailer, you'll find that the sides of that "holding tank space" consists of two 10" steel frame rails which are not insulated and the bottom is sealed with that small 3/16" sheet of black corrugated plastic which also doesn't provide much insulation, other than some dead air within the corrugations. Additionally, that space is "filled with open holes, gaps and voids" which do not conserve heat.

If you look at your control panel, chances are that you won't find any switches to turn on any heating blankets, a sure sign that there is nothing of the kind in your trailer.

RoscoeV
09-28-2018, 10:54 AM
Thanks John, that makes sense. No switches in the control panel so I'm guessing they are somewhat heated via the furnace duck work. Not a big thing right now as we don't plan on doing any camping in the winter months but may change down the road.

travelin texans
09-28-2018, 02:05 PM
RV sales lingo!!!
"The Polar Package, 4 Seasons option, Arctic Package on your 1/2 ton towable 35' 10k lb rv has fully enclosed heated holding tanks!".

flybouy
09-28-2018, 02:12 PM
But the box said "NEW & IMPROVED"!

bob91yj
09-28-2018, 02:29 PM
My Outback has the "Arctic Barrier" sticker on it. I'm assuming that it refers to the occasional winter cold front that hits San Diego and has it roots in a cold front that moved down from the Arctic.

The Arctic Barrier sure hasn't proven to be the insulation package that I had pictured in my head. We're still happy with our trailer, live and learn.

Brentw
09-28-2018, 09:06 PM
Few of the Keystone brands have 120 VAC or 12 VDC heat blankets on holding tanks. Typically, the construction includes an open space "below the insulated floor" in which the holding tanks are mounted. The bottom of that space is covered with coroplast (corrugated plastic). Within that "holding tank space" the mylar heat ducts from the furnace run to registers for "above floor heating". There is some radiant heat transfer (heat loss) as the furnace output is pushed through these ducts by the furnace fan. In earlier years and possibly in current models as well, there is a 2" dedicated heat duct into that space. Realistically, a small 2" forced air duct into a space that is poorly insulated, 6' wide, 10" deep and which runs the entire length of the underbelly won't stay warm by that small duct. If you look "critically" at the underbelly of your trailer, you'll find that the sides of that "holding tank space" consists of two 10" steel frame rails which are not insulated and the bottom is sealed with that small 3/16" sheet of black corrugated plastic which also doesn't provide much insulation, other than some dead air within the corrugations. Additionally, that space is "filled with open holes, gaps and voids" which do not conserve heat.

If you look at your control panel, chances are that you won't find any switches to turn on any heating blankets, a sure sign that there is nothing of the kind in your trailer.

Jeeze, that's what I thought but I didn't need to see it in print.LOL

jsmith948
09-29-2018, 05:33 AM
Biggest ever! - Most advanced technology! - Lightest weight! - Strongest frame! - Most horsepower of the leading three! - More torque than anyone else! - Biggest crowd ever!... Sound familiar? we have become a nation consumed by superlatives. P.T. Barnum was right... "there's a sucker born every minute" and most of them (us) live!