PDA

View Full Version : Winter storage cover? Wheel covers? Where to start?

Bechard
09-27-2018, 02:48 PM
Hey folks, I pick up my Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2200bh tomorrow. We're camping for a long weekend this fall before we winterize.

If I'm parking the trailer in a gravel driveway for the winter (after winterizing), do I need to cover the entire trailer, just the wheels, or something else? Do I need to place wood under the wheels?

Should I have wheel covers for anything the trailer is parked?

New owner, please be gentle.

Tbos
09-27-2018, 03:07 PM
Yes on Tire covers. No on TT cover. Just make sure all Your seals on the roof are in good shape. I stored on non-pressurized 2x8s in a gravel lot. Not sure if that is really needed. Lots of others didn’t.

travelin texans
09-27-2018, 03:14 PM
Personally place wood under the tires, cover the tires, have rv cleaned/waxed & skip the rv cover.
If your in a wooded area the cover MIGHT be a plus provided there's NO wind, if windy you'd be lucky to get 1 season out of a cover. Where we're at it wouldn't last til we drove away & have every corner of the rv all scuffed up.
If you have any physical problems the cover is a giant PITA to cover/uncover.
Others opinions will be they are fantastic & for them they may, as they say "results may vary", you'll have decide for yourself.

Bechard
09-27-2018, 03:21 PM
We'll be parked at my friend's place in his long gravel driveway, no trees around, in front of his pole barn. We're in southern Canada if that makes a difference.

Where does one typically buy tire covers? Amazon Canada doesn't seem to offer 14" covers. What's the normal price range?

I think I'll cut two six foot lengths of 2x8 to park on.

Canonman
09-27-2018, 04:05 PM
Both Camping World or Walmart on line have several choices of wheel covers.
As for covering the trailer, I do cover ours for the winter. Others have stated concerns over the wind moving the cover around causing wear issues where it transitions from the roof to the sides of the RV. I have not noticed this with our cover. I believe a good fitting cover is the answer here. As for wearability, we get 4 winters from the covers (2) we've purchased before they become too dry rotted to use.
IMHO the covers are worth the investment to minimize the negative weather and UV effects of 6 months (Nov. thru April) of storage.

Bechard
10-03-2018, 12:08 PM
Well, my wheel covers came today along with my x-chocks and a trickle charger for the winter. Thanks for the suggestions, I feel like I'm ready for the first trip now!

66joej
10-03-2018, 01:17 PM
Well, my wheel covers came today along with my x-chocks and a trickle charger for the winter. Thanks for the suggestions, I feel like I'm ready for the first trip now!

Is that a trickle charger or a battery maintainer? You need the latter unless you just charge the batteries occasionally. YMMV
I also park on 2x8 planks.

Bechard
10-03-2018, 04:01 PM
It's a battery maintainer, didn't realize there was a difference, but that's what the box says.18784

66joej
10-03-2018, 04:27 PM
It's a battery maintainer, didn't realize there was a difference, but that's what the box says.18784

Good! You have it covered (no pun intended).