PDA

View Full Version : Television sound through speakers

Roscoe
09-26-2018, 08:47 AM
This may not apply to everyone's system but i found on our trailer if you take the red and white rca's that come up from the audio unit if equipped with a DVD player. Swap the red and white to the audio out on your Tely and turn the radio source to AUX-1 and it should in theory play your tely sound through the speakers in your trailer. I did this on our 2013 cougar and also my parents 2018 cougar. hope this helps anyone who cares to have surround sound in their camper..

Cheer's

Local150
09-26-2018, 09:02 PM
Was wondering how to do that

flybouy
09-27-2018, 05:10 AM
Thanks Rosco. It's not surround sound it's stereo but typically sounds better than the wimpy television's amp & speakers.

WNY Bullet
09-27-2018, 06:00 AM
This may not apply to everyone's system but i found on our trailer if you take the red and white rca's that come up from the audio unit if equipped with a DVD player. Swap the red and white to the audio out on your Tely and turn the radio source to AUX-1 and it should in theory play your tely sound through the speakers in your trailer. I did this on our 2013 cougar and also my parents 2018 cougar. hope this helps anyone who cares to have surround sound in their camper..

Wouldn't you also need to change the same red/white cables from output to input on the back of your DVD/Radio?

Roscoe
09-27-2018, 09:41 AM
negative. just the ones on the tv..

Mrmiata
09-27-2018, 09:54 AM

Cheer's

Hmm.. seems odd as our 2014 was already set up for this. 31RBDS 6 speakers..(ABC speaker selector) 2 are located under awning. Just wonder now is this equipment factory installed or dealer prepped at site?

Travelingcircus
09-27-2018, 12:51 PM
I use an audio cable, plug into the aux output on dvd player , plug the other end into theTV headset input.

Roscoe
09-27-2018, 03:31 PM
i think there are several different ways to accomplish the same goal. this just happened to work and thought i would share what i found.

ctbruce
09-28-2018, 02:25 AM
I use an audio cable, plug into the aux output on dvd player , plug the other end into theTV headset input.I did exactly this and no bueno. Not sure why it didn't work. Any thoughts?

gkainz
09-28-2018, 03:53 AM
Hmm.. seems odd as our 2014 was already set up for this. 31RBDS 6 speakers..(ABC speaker selector) 2 are located under awning. Just wonder now is this equipment factory installed or dealer prepped at site?

Our 2010 is configured to do this as well. ???

Mrmiata
09-28-2018, 10:27 AM
I did exactly this and no bueno. Not sure why it didn't work. Any thoughts?

That was actually listed backwards I do believe.. "TV Headphones" would be an out signal.. that would have to plug into an audio "input" to the dvd or receiver player.

Roscoe
09-28-2018, 05:19 PM
Maybe it depends on the brand of stereo. I have a jensen dvd unit. red and white rca's plugged into AUDIO out on the tv and the radio to AUX-1... i will take a picture and post it up later tonight or tomorrow depending on how many beers i have tonight

cookinwitdiesel
09-28-2018, 05:19 PM
I also was looking to achieve this goal of using the better and built-in speakers when watching TV. I achieved this a different way though. My Hideout had a Furrion DV3100 installed. I went ahead and bought and upgraded to a DV3300 unit with HDMI instead. The Summit TV that came in our trailer has an HDMI interface with ARC (Audio Return Channel). The DV3300 also supports this on its HDMI port. What this enables is that the TV can output the sound over the HDMI back to the Furrion unit which then plays sound over the speakers. This will only work with input from other HDMI interfaces on TV (such as a laptop, media streaming box, or Blu-ray player) but that works fine for my purposes.

Hopefully this helps some!

Local150
09-28-2018, 05:34 PM
Maybe it depends on the brand of stereo. I have a jensen dvd unit. red and white rca's plugged into AUDIO out on the tv and the radio to AUX-1... i will take a picture and post it up later tonight or tomorrow depending on how many beers i have tonight
I have a Jensen TV and Jensen radio and CD player. The are both connected with audio cables and have tried aux 1 ,2,, and 3 and nothing

Travelingcircus
09-29-2018, 02:07 AM
2 possibilities, the Aux button on dvd player was not on.
My TV has two similar audio inputs, I used the one that with the headset icon.
Other than that, I have no idea why it wouldn't work.

HammerToe
10-04-2018, 08:40 AM
I’ve been doing something like this now for about 10 years. I own a 2008 Keystone Cougar Model 291 RLS. I have TWO HD TVs installed in it – a 37 inch one installed in the TV alcove provided and a second 24 inch model mounted to a non-OEM installed solid oak cabinet that I built and mounted above the emergency escape window in the bedroom. I have/take with me in the trailer a Bell ExpressVu satellite receiver with an auxiliary hard drive so that I can use the receivers PVR functionality. The receiver and hard drive are on the cabinet shelf below the TV. I ‘drive’ the 37 inch TV using Component Video Cables and I also ‘drive’ the second 24 inch HDTV in the bedroom using a long (15 feet I think) HDMI cable. (I did experiment trying to use an HDMI splitter and use an HDMI cable for each TV but – too many problems – I won’t go into it here, and I’m not saying it could be made to work, but you can run into a little really weird glitches trying to make it work). I use a very simple Infrared Remote Control extender with the sensor and mounted/positioned above the bathroom medicine cabinet and just place the transmitter and in front of and slightly to the side of the Infrared sensor on the receiver. I also did the ‘pipe the 37 inch TV sound through my interior speakers’ using the AUX IN connector on the trailers Jensen home theatre system. (I can’t recall where I took the sound from on the back of the TV – it might’ve been the audio out terminals or maybe I used the microphone terminals. Just can’t recall and I just had a look (or more precisely, try to take a look) but I can’t manage to see behind the TV exactly what I used). All in all – how does it work? GREAT! The satellite-TV signals are received by a Winegard ‘carry out’ automatic signal seeking and locking dish (domed) mounted on the roof of my trailer. Again, works great. I power the Winegard straight off the trailers 12 V DC system, taking power from one of the ceiling lights in the bedroom. I just drilled and mounted a nice ‘pushbutton’ switch to enable me to turn the power to the Winegard on and off and I added a small green LED that I can see easily from the living room of the trailer so that I can know whether it is on or not. Very convenient. Once the trailer is set up in levels, assuming you don’t have a signal eating tree or something in the way, just push the power button to power up the Winegard and within about two and a have to three minutes – voilà – you have TV. The only limitation of this set up is that while you can and I have using a scheme like this to drive to TVs, you are limited to watching the same program on both TVs. (Or, perhaps more precisely, I THINK that if you wanted to install some additional SUITABLE satellite-TV switches, you could use a second receiver to watch another program BUT it would still have to be on a transponder off the same satellite as, Bell and most other satellite providers frequently use more than one satellite located at a different point in the sky to provide at least some of their channels with a single LNB in the Winegard, it can’t pick up signals from more than one physical satellite at a time. Nevertheless and all in all, it is perfect for me and has worked flawlessly for probably close to 10 years now. Sorry to go on so long but I was ‘in the mood’ and I just thought somebody might find my set up interesting.

n4qpcham
10-04-2018, 09:33 AM
My HC318RE 5th wheel has a Jensen AM/FM/CD/DVD in it, as a lot of Keystone products do. You can take the 4 screws out of the front of the unit and pull it out SLOWLY from the cabinet. There should be an A/V wire with red, white, and yellow plugs. The red and white are audio R and L, and the yellow is the video. This wire should be plugged into the AV OUTPUT R and L and VIDEO OUT on the Jensen unit. This carries the sound and video from the Jensen to the TV to play DVDs. This 3-foot A/V cable was too short on my 5th wheel, so I ordered a minimum 4-foot cable off Amazon, after I accidently broke the plugs off in the TV. Removing them was a fun job, but not too bad. There will be another red and white audio-only cable required from the TV’s AUDIO OUT red (R) and white (L) jacks to the Jensen’s red (R) and white (L) INPUT (AUDIO IN) jacks. This audio cable will send the TV sound to the Jensen and to the A, B, or C speakers. You will need to fish the wires through the wall by tying/taping a string or another cable to the A/V cable and pulling it through. I was able to remove my electric fireplace (4 screws) to get access to the area below the TV over to where the Jensen was mounted.

Stevereno
10-05-2018, 06:42 AM
So too many beers consumed = no picture?:D

Wingerdinger
10-05-2018, 09:11 AM
My RV has the typical Jensen audio system, and has the RCA-type jacks in the rear for audio input, but my TV only has digital/optical audio out.
There is an adapter that will convert digital to analog audio, I will be going that route.

32 fkb
10-05-2018, 04:21 PM
our 2018 32fkb is already set up that way.

n4qpcham
10-08-2018, 04:00 AM
Let me slap my hand and correct myself...somewhat. Here is the correct information:

The red and white wires are audio R and L, and the yellow wire is the video. The yellow wire should be plugged into the VIDEO OUT on the Jensen unit. This carries the video from the Jensen to the TV to play DVDs. It goes into the TV's VIDEO IN (yellow) jack.

There will be another red and white audio-only cable required from the TV’s AUDIO OUT red (R) and white (L) jacks to the Jensen’s red (R) and white (L) INPUT (AUDIO IN) jacks. This audio cable will send the TV sound to the Jensen and to the A, B, or C speakers, using the speaker switches on the Jensen.

The sound from the Jensen for AM,FM,CD, DVD, and the TV are sent to the speakers via a multi-pin jack and plug on the rear of the Jensen unit.

Yellow wire - Jensen video out to TV video in
Red wire - TV audio out (R) to Jensen audio in (R)
White wire - TV audio out (L) to Jensen audio in (L)

All this will be the same, whether you have a Jensen unit or another brand.

Had a teacher that always said, "Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth into gear." It helps to LOOK at what you have before giving advice, Jerry!!

Randallf
10-11-2018, 07:35 PM
i was hoping my 2017 sprinter system had surround sound through the speakers when the tv is on. i tried everything. Any dea for me to get sourround sound? it dosn't have a built-in dvd player so dose this make it different?
randy

flybouy
10-15-2018, 01:37 PM
i was hoping my 2017 sprinter system had surround sound through the speakers when the tv is on. i tried everything. Any dea for me to get sourround sound? it dosn't have a built-in dvd player so dose this make it different?
randy

True surround sound requires a min. of 5 speakers and a min. 5 channel amplifier. A center channel and front and rear left and right channels. Most are 5.1 with the ".1" being a subwoofer. Very few manufacturers make 12vdc surround sound but few rvs come equipped with them.

Buckeyexx
10-15-2018, 01:52 PM

randy

I’m in the same boat as you. My passport came with the furrion dv7100 and for the life of me I can’t figure out how to put sound through the speakers while watching tv. It came from the factory with audio and video cable connected from tv to the back of the stereo but nothing comes through. I have tried switching things around and nothing works.

sourdough
10-15-2018, 02:15 PM
True surround sound requires a min. of 5 speakers and a min. 5 channel amplifier. A center channel and front and rear left and right channels. Most are 5.1 with the ".1" being a subwoofer. Very few manufacturers make 12vdc surround sound but few rvs come equipped with them.

Man, you're making me feel old! "True surround"? That term is relatively new in the last several years, I guess since 5.1, 7.1 etc. evolved. But "true surround"? I remember back in the day when stereo (2 channels) advanced to 4 channels...TRUE SURROUND!! (back then:)) Got caught up in it (I was really into music back then) and had my Pioneer 4 channel receiver and big Klipsch speakers going or running into my Koss 4 channel headphones. Problem was the turntable, Pioneer reel to reel and about 99% of the 8 track tapes (I had a 4 channel 8 track player) were only stereo. It was great for a while but fizzled out. Now 5.1 and 7.1 are the "true surround" sound and there are lots of things to support it.

Sorry for getting off track; the topic just kind of popped into my head when I read that and thought I would throw out that bit of trivia. Back to the program. :flowers:

flybouy
10-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Man, you're making me feel old! "True surround"? That term is relatively new in the last several years, I guess since 5.1, 7.1 etc. evolved. But "true surround"? I remember back in the day when stereo (2 channels) advanced to 4 channels...TRUE SURROUND!! (back then:)) Got caught up in it (I was really into music back then) and had my Pioneer 4 channel receiver and big Klipsch speakers going or running into my Koss 4 channel headphones. Problem was the turntable, Pioneer reel to reel and about 99% of the 8 track tapes (I had a 4 channel 8 track player) were only stereo. It was great for a while but fizzled out. Now 5.1 and 7.1 are the "true surround" sound and there are lots of things to support it.

Sorry for getting off track; the topic just kind of popped into my head when I read that and thought I would throw out that bit of trivia. Back to the program. :flowers:Yep had the whole qudraphonic set up myself. You haven't lived until hearing Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon or the Who's Qudfaphonia in discrete 4 ch. I had 4 matched speakers, each with 15 inc woffer, 2 -6 inc mids, 2 -3 inc tweeters and a 2 inc super tweeter. A Girrard turntable with Aidio Technica cartridge and stylus. What a shame it didn't stay around. O.K. Now I feel old. Holy Stuff where's the Metemucil!

Roscoe
10-18-2018, 11:23 PM
Sorry for the late picture reply. Works with aux 1 input. Plays over trailer speakers. Hopefully this helps some people. Red and white are at the audio output spot on the television. The yellow input stays in the same
Spot it was from the factory

C.LeeNick
10-19-2018, 04:50 AM
I’m in the same boat as you. My passport came with the furrion dv7100 and for the life of me I can’t figure out how to put sound through the speakers while watching tv. It came from the factory with audio and video cable connected from tv to the back of the stereo but nothing comes through. I have tried switching things around and nothing works.

Our Passport came with the DV7100 as well, and we couldn't get sound from the TV to the stereo..but after trying different plugs on the back of the DV7100, we COULD get sound from the stereo to the TV speakers!

Turned out, in our case, Passport had put a cable with RCA jacks on each end through the ceiling, but the TV installed did not have RCA output jacks for sound. The RCA jacks on the TV were INPUT jacks. The only output jack on the TV is an "earphone" jack on the back, which is a mini-plug. In my case, I was able to fish some wires through the ceiling with the proper connectors. I wanted to add a wire from the antenna jack on the DV7100 to the amplified TV antenna jack anyway, so I was willing to fool with fishing wires (the TV antenna is also an amplified FM antenna). I could have also done it with an adapter from the mini-pug "earphone" jack to the RCA plugs on the existing wire. I think it would have needed a stereo mini-plug to two RCA jack adapter, and a couple of double-ended female RCA adapters.

Hope that helps!

Blackbirdpilot
10-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Wouldn't you also need to change the same red/white cables from output to input on the back of your DVD/Radio?

Thats what I had to do. I have Furrion 3300 if I am remembering the model number correctly.

I just left the rca cable that was already there in place and added another one so I could connect my tv output to the stereos input.

The existing rca was connected to the stereo units output for sending dvd sound to your tv.
We just stream stuff thru our firestick using a wifi hotspot and wanted the sound to come thru the stereo speakers since our tv speakers are worthless.

rdhouston
10-24-2018, 02:07 PM
I put a 2.1 Vizio sound bar under the TV with sub in the corner and it's awesome!

Jonnyjuno
12-01-2018, 05:48 PM

Cheer's

They hook it up from the factory with HDMI now (because the integrated DVD player) just change radio input to hdmi arc and tv will play through stereo I have the Jensen unit in a 2019 montana 3700lk

Local150
12-01-2018, 06:07 PM
They hook it up with HDMI for you just change radio input to hdmi arc and tv will play through stereo
Am saving your post so when it warms up I can try it

Cfilipiak
03-02-2019, 06:52 PM
I also was looking to achieve this goal of using the better and built-in speakers when watching TV. I achieved this a different way though. My Hideout had a Furrion DV3100 installed. I went ahead and bought and upgraded to a DV3300 unit with HDMI instead. The Summit TV that came in our trailer has an HDMI interface with ARC (Audio Return Channel). The DV3300 also supports this on its HDMI port. What this enables is that the TV can output the sound over the HDMI back to the Furrion unit which then plays sound over the speakers. This will only work with input from other HDMI interfaces on TV (such as a laptop, media streaming box, or Blu-ray player) but that works fine for my purposes.

Hopefully this helps some!
So what is the wire configuration? I have the furrion HDMI cable connected to HDMI on the summit TV. I have the direct tv connected to the HDMI 2 on the Summit TV. I have the dv3300 set on ARC. But I can’t get any sound through the RV speakers. Can you advise as to your wire pattern? Thanks

Rber1234
03-02-2019, 08:35 PM
I too would like to know exactly how you were able to channel Tv sound thru TT speakers. I just upgraded TT speakers with JVC J620 300W ones. I’ve been trying to figure out to output to them from Tv.

cookinwitdiesel
03-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Right now I am guilty of theory crafting the setup but should be able to prove it out soon as weather improves. If the TV and Furrion are using ARC as it is intended it should all flow right.

JRTJH
03-03-2019, 06:35 PM
I too would like to know exactly how you were able to channel Tv sound thru TT speakers. I just upgraded TT speakers with JVC J620 300W ones. I’ve been trying to figure out to output to them from Tv.

One easy way is to buy a "patch cable" and plug it into the "headphone out" jack on the TV and into the "aux in" on the amplifier/stereo. Then it's just a selector switch to choose "aux" and turn up the sound until you can hear it comfortably.

You can also use the red/white "audio out" jacks on the back of the TV and connect them to the "audio in" jacks on the back of the stereo. Some newer stereo systems "may not have audio in" jacks....

Rber1234
03-05-2019, 08:53 PM
Never thought of that. Can’t wait to try that out as soon as the Amazon genie delivers the patch cable.

cookinwitdiesel
03-23-2019, 12:20 PM
Right now I am guilty of theory crafting the setup but should be able to prove it out soon as weather improves. If the TV and Furrion are using ARC as it is intended it should all flow right.

Finally out on my first camp trip since buying the trailer back in September. Got to confirm this set up.

Glad to report it does in fact work as hoped :D In my trailer, I had to set the Summit TV to use HDMI CEC and that allowed me to enable HDMI ARC as well. I then had the ARC HDMI input connected down to the DV3300 HDMI interface.

I plugged laptop into one of the other HDMI ports and started a movie. I then had to change the DV3300 to the Aux/ARC input with the remote and sounds came out the speakers for what I was watching on the TV :D (via my laptop but nay HDMI source should work) So it can be done :)

Cfilipiak
03-23-2019, 05:12 PM
Can’t wait to try it, we leave Thursday for California.

Cfilipiak
03-24-2019, 11:15 AM
I have one last question, I looked at my summit TV inputs and I don’t see anything that says, hdmi cec. What is cec and how do I set it on the TV?

Cfilipiak
03-24-2019, 11:23 AM
Sorry, that was a premature response. I found the “cec” setting in the Setup menu-cec and turn it to “on”. But you also have to have the “audio receiver” in the same menu set to “on”. And it works PERFECTLY. Thanks CWD. You did something even Furrion could not figure out when I contacted their help line.

cookinwitdiesel
03-24-2019, 11:24 AM
Glad I could help :)

Rber1234
03-24-2019, 05:23 PM
Here's a link for anyone else that wants to learn how to use it.
WWW.HOWTOGEEK.COM/207186

cookinwitdiesel
03-24-2019, 05:27 PM
I always use CEC to the point it is extremely frustrating when devices don't have it (looking at you Xbox one and Verizon FiOS set top boxes). I am new to using ARC though as I have a nice AV receiver at home and only use my tv as a simple display.

ADQ K9
03-24-2019, 06:40 PM
I get TV sound through the audio video system. Furion TV and Furion DV 3200 it is connected by AV cables from the factory. My complaint is that 2017 should have come with a Blu Ray player and an HDMI cable connecting the TV and AV unit. I plan on fishing an HDMI cable from the TV to the AV unit since the AV unit has an HDMI input in the back.
On another note we have used screen mirroring from out tablets to TV for Netflix etc. using a Screen Beam Mini 2
https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-ScreenBeam-Wireless-Receiver-SBWD60A01/dp/B00O14JG2Y/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?hvadid=234329407421&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9033836

Cfilipiak
03-25-2019, 07:35 AM
Don’t even get me started on how RV features come with the trailer these days. I bought my 29BHSWE travel trailer (which is really 35’ tounge to tear bumper) last year and could not believe it came with only a standard DVD player, NOT Blueray. In addition, it should be a 12v system not 120v.

cookinwitdiesel
03-25-2019, 07:37 AM
None of the Furrion units are Blu Ray for some reason. Total head scratcher to me ...Blu Ray became mainstream in what, 2007? And now the players are dirt cheap

I do believe my DV3300 runs on DC though which I wasn't expecting.

Cfilipiak
03-25-2019, 08:18 AM
Right but the TV does not. ��

cookinwitdiesel
03-25-2019, 08:20 AM
Not my Summit. I believe there are some TVs that are in fact DC powered.

SummitPond
03-25-2019, 09:27 AM
Not my Summit. I believe there are some TVs that are in fact DC powered.

I know Lance has some units with 12V televisions in them; saw one at a recent RV show. Of course, you could buy two Keystone products for the price of one Lance!

Gadddisef
09-12-2022, 04:50 PM
2022 keystone raptor tv not playing thru stereo and Ideas I have checked all plug all good even turned tv speakers off

LHaven
09-13-2022, 12:25 AM

Sounds like OP is lucky enough to have a receiver whose audio out ports also just happen to work as audio in. You sure can't depend on that.

You should have an RCA cable from receiver out to TV in, for DVDs, and another cable from TV out to receiver in, to route TV sound to the cabin speakers. OP's sound quality might even improve if he did that.

wifi_guy
07-23-2023, 01:43 PM
Sorry for the late picture reply. Works with aux 1 input. Plays over trailer speakers. Hopefully this helps some people. Red and white are at the audio output spot on the television. The yellow input stays in the same
Spot it was from the factory

So I have a 2021 Keystone fusion. I have the red and white cables plugged into the audio out on the TV and plugged into the Jensen radio, but I get no audio from my TV. What am I doing wrong?

flybouy
07-24-2023, 11:11 AM
So I have a 2021 Keystone fusion. I have the red and white cables plugged into the audio out on the TV and plugged into the Jensen radio, but I get no audio from my TV. What am I doing wrong?

Model number of radio would help. Did you change the input on the radio?