PDA

View Full Version : Not a fan of skylights

hankpage
07-31-2011, 11:01 AM
I really don't like the heat and bright sunlight that the skylights let in. I was thinking ( the DW says that is dangerous ) about painting them with Krylon Fusion (special paint for plastic) but I'm not sure how opaque it would be or if it would still let defused light in. Any thoughts on this appreciated, Hank

badge4
07-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Hank,

They sell those insulation pillows that fit right into the opening to achieve what you are looking for and if you do change your mind down the road you just pull them out.

hankpage
07-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Seen them .... I'm fussy ..... I want some light but not the sun. :rolleyes:

Paddler
07-31-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm guessing you are talking about the skylight over the shower enclosure not the roof vents. I have also seriously thought about painting the clear acrylic dome. Our previous tt had a frosted dome and it defused the sunlight but still let in a ton of heat.

Currently I have cut a piece of styrofoam to fit inside the dome, we're short so we don't need the headroom. ;) It reduces the heat but does make the bedroom a bit on the dark side when we have the roof vents stuffed with the insulator/stadium cushions.

If you do paint the dome, let me know how it works. I was just going to use exterior latex paint, figured it would probably peel off but it would not harm the acrylic.

Jay Pat
07-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Mount some reflectix up there with industrial velcro. Cut the cover to the size you want.
Don't forget to remove if you are going to move the rig....
Pat

JRTJH
07-31-2011, 08:38 PM
The inner skylight is held in place with 6 screws and is entirely separate from the outer (top) section which is sealed to the roof. We were getting the same heat buildup that you have. I unscrewed the inside half, cleaned the inner plastic well with windex and cut a piece of the nonstick roll (used in drawers and shelves) and taped it to the inside of the plastic with 4 short pieces of duct tape. I reinstalled it and it looks great. We still get a nice subdued light, and the heat has been cut in half or less. I'll try to post some pix if you need to see how it looks, but the inside is just like it was, only now there's a "filter" sandwiched between the plastic layers.

hankpage
08-01-2011, 04:56 AM
The inner skylight is held in place with 6 screws and is entirely separate from the outer (top) section which is sealed to the roof. We were getting the same heat buildup that you have. I unscrewed the inside half, cleaned the inner plastic well with windex and cut a piece of the nonstick roll (used in drawers and shelves) and taped it to the inside of the plastic with 4 short pieces of duct tape. I reinstalled it and it looks great. We still get a nice subdued light, and the heat has been cut in half or less. I'll try to post some pix if you need to see how it looks, but the inside is just like it was, only now there's a "filter" sandwiched between the plastic layers.

I was going to do this with a piece of window tint but not sure how it would look all crinkled over the inner dome. I may have to try this as paint is not reversible once done. Thanks for another good suggestion, :thumbsup: Hank

KanTC
08-01-2011, 09:11 AM
DH's parents have retractable shades on the skylights & vents in their motorhome... nice feature & gives the option
to open/close when needed. We have the split bath & considering one for our shower skylight.

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/carefree/products?action=product&productid=59&categoryid=34

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

christopherglenn
08-01-2011, 11:53 AM
The shower skylight in my fuzion 405 is the same size as the windows in the doors. The window covers fit quite well (to bad I can't say the same for the sticky velcro that comes with it).

LeeMedic
08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
On my 2010 Sprinter I used a sheet of window tinting. I am going to removed the screws and tint/paint it tomorrow on my 2012. There is just TOOOO much Florida sun that shines through there.

hankpage
08-01-2011, 01:29 PM
The sun has been brutal here in New Jersey also. I just noticed the level on my pin box exploded. The good thing is I don't have to SHOVEL sunshine. :cool3:

http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/31110/2643076630047821328S500x500Q85.jpg

wgb1
08-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I had an extra windshield reflector that I cut out the same size as the plastic surround, then applied small velcro sticky buttons. I can now cover the skylights easily and if I want the light, I can simply jerk them down, roll them up and stash them away. Plus they weigh next to nothing. Very simple mod.

9-27-11 edit WOW! Just noticed nearly two months later, I misspelled weigh. Actully spelled it W. A. Y.! How dumb was that ? LOL!

JRTJH
08-02-2011, 04:43 PM
I was going to do this with a piece of window tint but not sure how it would look all crinkled over the inner dome. I may have to try this as paint is not reversible once done. Thanks for another good suggestion, :thumbsup: Hank

No problem, Hank. I used the WallyWorld nonslip. It's a series of dots interconnected by thin strings. It's light gray so it doesn't "intrude" in the skylight. I kinda think it looks pretty good up there. It blocks much of the light, an adequate bit of the heat and gives the skylight a "finished" look.

Of course that's my "opinion" and yours might be different. One good thing about it, at least it's completely reversible if you don't like it..... LOL

trucker LOU
09-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Hank, I had same problem. made cover of 2 thickness of styrefom 1/2" panel,bound edges with duct tape,and hold in place with 2 mini bungees across panel hooked to frame screws. still lets some light in but cut heat waaay down. will post pics when get camera fixed .

gottago
10-02-2011, 07:45 AM
we had moisture buildup between the outer clear dome and the inner clear skylight panel. when we took the 6 screws out, we found bugs and debris in the trim. should there be caulking or weatherstripping between the two before we re-assemble?

hankpage
10-02-2011, 09:00 AM
we had moisture buildup between the outer clear dome and the inner clear skylight panel. when we took the 6 screws out, we found bugs and debris in the trim. should there be caulking or weatherstripping between the two before we re-assemble?

The inner trim just screws to the ceiling, no caulk. The saw dust and other debris is common in every opening of an RV. I think the industry as a whole saves $$$$$ by leaving trash and scraps in enclosed areas instead of cleaning and disposing of it themselves..

As a follow up to my original post .... As suggested I sandwiched the foil coated bubble-wrap (insulation :rolleyes: ) between the domes. Still lets some light in from edges but cut heat and UV way down. Thanks to everyone for your input, Hank

Doesn't look too bad from outside either.

http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/46971/2386662240047821328S600x600Q85.jpg

Yeh, I know, the roof needs cleaning.

Love2camp
11-16-2012, 08:16 AM
We bought a can of VHT nite shades spray from local auto parts store and sprayed a couple of coats on the outside of the sky light in the shower. Works great!

audio1der
11-16-2012, 12:56 PM
I've been considering usig some leftover opaque window film which I applied to my garage windows for the same reason.