PDA

View Full Version : Does your wife share the driving?

77cruiser
09-23-2018, 04:42 AM
I had my wife drive a bit when we had a little B M/H & she was a nervous wreck & so was I. With the 5th wheel I don't think it would be a good idea at all. Some of the roads we've been on drop of just past the white line even make me nervous.

66joej
09-23-2018, 05:41 AM
I had my wife drive a bit when we had a little B M/H & she was a nervous wreck & so was I. With the 5th wheel I don't think it would be a good idea at all. Some of the roads we've been on drop of just past the white line even make me nervous.

My DW pretty well does all the driving. I just sit in the driver's seat and work the controls.:hide:

Jefster
09-23-2018, 05:49 AM
My DW pretty well does all the driving. I just sit in the driver's seat and work the controls.:hide:

Truth right there!

My mother (who is in her late 60s) attended a Forest River rally this summer and took an RV driving class. She now feels comfortable driving and even backing up.

mcomeaux
09-23-2018, 06:07 AM
Last time she drove I was sedated from the Dr. office and that really didn't go well. And we were in the car. The 5'er I don't think so.....Just considering everyone elses safety on the road...

chuckster57
09-23-2018, 06:16 AM
She won’t drive the big truck by itself so adding a fifth wheel to it is a definite no.

WNY Bullet
09-23-2018, 06:23 AM
She won’t drive the big truck by itself so adding a fifth wheel to it is a definite no.

Same here, she won't even move the truck in the driveway!

flybouy
09-23-2018, 06:33 AM
My DW drives our F150 King Ranch. She drove pulling our utility trailer once. But other than driving me crazy, she has driven with me in the vehicle maybe a 1/2 dozen times while I was sedated over the 38 yrs. we've been married. Prior to marriage I rode with here several times when I taught her how to drive a manual. No reflections on her skils but my type A personality.

hankpage
09-23-2018, 08:19 AM

Ditto!!! I keep promising to fix the brake pedal on that side but never seem to get around to it. She drove once while I took a nap .... I woke in one hour and we had gone 85 miles .... NEVER again. :eek: :nonono:

roadglide
09-23-2018, 08:22 AM
Any time i ask or need a nap she is a good driver she also was 18 wheel driver , Im sure it's the reason we very seldom get lost and travel the scenic route.

pikespeakviewer
09-23-2018, 08:27 AM
I'm the wife and hubby has yet to pull our trailer. He wanted me to be comfortable pulling it as he's military and we didn't want the trailer sitting at home while he's deployed. 3 years later and I'm still the driver.

sourdough
09-23-2018, 09:37 AM
My wife does not like to shop or drive much. Driving around town is OK or possibly a short trip but it just doesn't interest her. She's driven me after surgeries as some have mentioned but other than that she doesn't. A trailer? Probably won't happen. She tried once with my 24' deck boat at a very busy boat ramp. Ohhh, what a sight; I didn't know there were that many angles a trailer could go and never get into the water. Between her frustration and embarrassment and my "jovial" :nonono: personality, she's never wanted to be connected to a trailer again.

notanlines
09-23-2018, 09:39 AM
We also are a family that shares the driving, although Brenda will only drive from rest area on to another chosen rest area when triple-towing. This is the 21st century. Equality comes in all shapes and sizes.

vampress_me
09-23-2018, 10:47 AM
I have to say I’m also the wife of our rig, and hubby hasn’t driven the truck towing the fifth wheel yet - and we’ve had it since 2014. I do all the driving when we are towing, and most even when we’re not towing. We go out to Montana/ Wyoming fairly regularly and have also taken it to New York State. I love to drive and hubby has Parkinson’s, so it’s harder on him.

Sadly, I feel like many times, it’s how we’ve been brought up as to how we feel about how capable we are to drive towing anything. I grew up the daughter of a diesel mechanic and my dad made sure I knew how to take care of my vehicle and how to tow properly. Of course, living on a farm probably helped. :) Our daughter is being brought up to know how to everything I do.

SummitPond
09-23-2018, 11:24 AM
The DW does just fine behind the wheel while we are on the Interstate or back country roads, but she does not like driving in the city with the truck - TT attached or not. Come to think of it, neither do I!

B-O-B'03
09-23-2018, 02:07 PM
The F150 belongs to the DW and it is her daily driver.

She has not driven it when we are towing, but I figure she could handle it, if she wanted to.

-Brian

Bisjoe
09-23-2018, 02:18 PM
No, she has never towed, in fact only drove the pickup once on a long trip, but was not comfortable with it, especially at the Dutch Bros. coffee drive-up. She’s too used to her little Escape, the truck is a lot bigger and over 200 more horsepower.

Badbart56
09-23-2018, 02:36 PM

Mine too. She will move the truck around the yard but she doesn't want anything to do with driving it on the road. She used to drive my 97 F350 crew cab dually when she had to but this one's a 4x4 and sits a little higher. Kind of funny because we had two Suburban's in years past and she liked them, even the 4x4 one.

JimMach1
09-23-2018, 03:35 PM
My wife drives just fine from the passenger seat. I won’t let her drive my truck let alone pull the camper. She sleeps I drive. Lol

Tbos
09-23-2018, 03:58 PM
Mine actually came up with the idea of me letting her try in a BIG EMPTY parking lot. Just need to do it now.

Willie & Bev
09-23-2018, 04:05 PM
When we had our Colorado and the 177LHS Bev drove it some on the interstate. We have since upgraded and have a Silverado 2500HD 4X4 that she has driven around town. She has not tried pulling our larger trailer. We need to get her started on learning to pull it.

MotownJG
09-23-2018, 04:44 PM
My wife never, ever drives the truck towing our 5th wheel. Not ever-never. Nothing against her ( I've loved her to death these past 38 years and hope for 38 more). It's also not me denigrating women in general. This is just her specific personality type- she's an anxious about driving in general
sorta person and she knows it.

Sometimes I wish she could drive the rig, especially in an emergency, but then I think about it and realize that I wouldn't enjoy it if she could.

travelin texans
09-23-2018, 06:04 PM
When we had our Colorado and the 177LHS Bev drove it some on the interstate. We have since upgraded and have a Silverado 2500HD 4X4 that she has driven around town. She has not tried pulling our larger trailer. We need to get her started on learning to pull it.

Hey Willie, when you head west this season let her drive I-10 between San Antonio & ElPaso she'll be a pro with the new rig after that 300+ miles.

77cruiser
09-23-2018, 07:15 PM
Probably wouldn't be good if she drove, everytime I look over at her the eyes are closed. I wouldn't have let her drive to day went from Gunnison,Co to Denver.

Old Mustanger
09-23-2018, 07:44 PM
Wife uses the truck as her daily driver since I made her trade her Navigator for it and she's scared of the Mustangs, but she refuses to even try to drive with the trailer hitched.

FlyingAroundRV
09-23-2018, 11:31 PM
DW Doesn't drive the truck.

Does fly the plane though.

Laredo Tugger
09-24-2018, 02:50 AM
roadglide's quote: "Im sure it's the reason we very seldom get lost and travel the scenic route."
Well when we do get lost,to avoid a fight we just both agree it is the "scenic route". :)

No. DW does not drive at this time but it has been discussed if necessary. The large empty parking lot sounds like the perfect training ground.
After what happened the other day,I was glad I was driving. Had a major problem that I got real lucky with and was back on the road in about half an hour. And yes...that will not happen again. Guaranteed.
RMc

spade117
09-24-2018, 04:16 AM
My wife has not driven while we have towed our campers, but she has towed a jet-ski trailer on one of the trips we went on a few years back while I towed the camper.

Retired Copper
09-24-2018, 03:47 PM
After getting everything set up with the new camper and tv I have no problem relaxing while she pulls on the interstate. I would never let her tow with the other tv.Observation camera, tpm, higher load rated and speed rated tires, e4 and 3/4 ton truck all made what I was looking for in a towing experience.

Irv gates
09-30-2018, 08:34 AM
Well! When me and my wife started 5th wheeling, she wasnt into driving at all. at the time we were using a F250 and it moved around a little bit on the road with the 31 Ft,11k trailer. When we moved up to the Dually diesel it was a whole new world. She will drive the rig now and thats with the new 39ft 5th wheel. She says "The truck just holds the road better and you dont notice the semis going bye as bad" . I agree, that extra truck weight & Dual rear wheels, helps control the handling better.

Benny
09-30-2018, 08:40 AM
My wife and I both drive or 14,000 lb 5th wheel with our F350 and previously our older 3500 silverado. Together we have over a 95 years of driving experience. Sharon has driven her pickup coast to coast, and I have driven on both sides of the road (not drunk it is legal in london and Burmuda) in other countries I think having a rested driver every couple of hours may be more important than all those years and miles we have driven.

larryflew
09-30-2018, 09:49 AM
My wife is 69 and loves driving the 3500 dragging a 37 foot 5th wheel and does a great job. Last year she did almost all of the AZ to MN trip back home do to my hip problem. New hip works better than the old one has for years BTW.

RayT
09-30-2018, 01:04 PM
My wife drives ~1/3 to 1/2 the trips. She just doesn't want to drive through the big cities like Phoenix, or in the campgrounds. Sharing the driving makes for much better travel days.

Similarly, I take care of dumping and climbing the tanks, airing the tires etc. However, my wife will occasionally do these with my assistance, just so she knows how.

Had a friend who messed his hand getting their TT ready for the trip home. His wife has never driven their rig so he had to drive home in pain with a broken finger.

Even if the spouses don't regularly drive I highly recommend getting them to at least give it a try every so often, in case of a future emergency. Maybe between rest areas on a less busy highway for example. If the only driver does experience some emergency, that's not the time for a spouse to learn. Just my 2¢

Robert Campbell
09-30-2018, 02:25 PM
My husband and I always share the driving. I was raised on a farm and driving has been a part of my life for many years. Backing peanut trailers in very small spots under shelters to hook up to drying tunnels was how I began. When I turned 12 I went from backing trailers with a tractor to using a manual, column shift truck. We have owned a 25' Prowler, 27' Prowler, 18' Grey Wolf and now a 2018 328 RL Outback and I have pulled all of them. The shared driving was very helpful when we took a cross country trip last year from NC to MT to AZ and back to NC. It is not for everyone, but shared driving works for us.

johnlewis
09-30-2018, 02:46 PM
My wife likes driving our rig (3500 DRW Ram & 37' 5er). She does at least 1/2 of the driving. She doesn't like backing into a site, so I do that with her on the walkie-talkie to help me in. I like having the help driving, and I think it is important for her to know how, in case something happens to me, and she HAS to drive.

LaTundra
09-30-2018, 03:43 PM
I wanted DW to learn how to back up my NEW Tundra to hookup the TT. No problem, she did great. Feeling good about herself, she asked to pull it out the spot. No problem. Feeling better about herself, she asked to drive it to the campground gate. She did wonderful! Feeling really, really good, she asked to drive out the gate on the county road. She did GREAT! Then, when we're getting close to the interstate, she asked to get on the interstate pulling the TT. I said okay, but we should stop for gas first. She looked at the gauge and said it was half way. I thought I had less than that, but okay. We get on the interstate, after we pass the last gas station for the next 20 miles, she says, "a little yellow light came on". That's the low fuel warning light. I thought you said it was half way. She looked at the gauge again and said "Yes, it's half way between the C and the H"! #lasttimeshedrovemytruck.

66joej
09-30-2018, 04:42 PM
"Yes, it's half way between the C and the H"! #lasttimeshedrovemytruck.

Now that I can believe! Did I just sat that?:hide:

RV802
09-30-2018, 07:50 PM
My wife and I share the driving equally. We shoot for 2 hour (mostly a bit more, never less) intervals. It’s worked well for us and we can manage the occasional 10 hour day that way.

Jdfloriano
10-01-2018, 06:56 AM
I am the wife. I’ve driven cab over campers, rv trailers and fifth wheels. I’ve also test driven class A’s. But I started driving tractors with trailers and farming implements since high school.

I’ve driven out now Fifth wheel in heavy rain, on curves roads, and up and down steep grades. Sometimes with my husband and sometimes not.

My husband is disabled now but had worked on his families dairy farm for 23 years. So if we wanted an adventure it had to be by me.

I don’t let much tie me down and will try most anything. I even use our rig for work if I have to out of town for more than three days. I at least feel like I am coming home instead of a hotel room.

Oh yes, and I can back it up and put it exactly where it was before we left. And without direction from my husband. He’ll ask, “do you need help?” I say, “No thank you, I’ve got this.” He doesn’t question it.

Ladies don’t be scared. And if your husband won’t teach you I will. We live in California!

UsTwo
10-01-2018, 10:06 AM
My wife refuses to drive and or back into a spot.. She did a little with a Hybrid we had. but not with the Cougar

TLB
10-05-2018, 04:30 PM
My wife said that she would try. She also said we have insurance on something happens it will be covered.
But she also said she is not backing it up into a camp site.

gearhead
10-05-2018, 05:10 PM
Uh Uh. No. Never. I have driven straight through from Bristol TN to Houston. From Houston to Walsenburg CO. From here to wherever.
My wife has a switch on her butt. She sits down, she goes to sleep. But it's not just her. I can't stand to ride with most people. I think I needed therapy after car pooling to work. Who is going to stay awake to keep Mike awake?

sourdough
10-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Uh Uh. No. Never. I have driven straight through from Bristol TN to Houston. From Houston to Walsenburg CO. From here to wherever.
My wife has a switch on her butt. She sits down, she goes to sleep. But it's not just her. I can't stand to ride with most people. I think I needed therapy after car pooling to work. Who is going to stay awake to keep Mike awake?

This post makes me smile because that's the way I am. I've driven so much and learned so much; ever vigilant and watching WAY out there that being in the passenger seat and letting someone drive me that loves to talk and fiddle with the radio, smartphone etc. etc. etc. ties me in knots - I will not do it unless it is a very short drive and I sit in the passenger seat. Guess it's a phobia?:nonono:

FlyingAroundRV
10-05-2018, 05:59 PM
This post makes me smile because that's the way I am. I've driven so much and learned so much; ever vigilant and watching WAY out there that being in the passenger seat and letting someone drive me that loves to talk and fiddle with the radio, smartphone etc. etc. etc. ties me in knots - I will not do it unless it is a very short drive and I sit in the passenger seat. Guess it's a phobia?:nonono:
OMG Danny, we gotta catch up when I get back to TX.

I'm a terrible passenger, ESPECIALLY when my sister in law is driving. She's never happy unless she's doing 17 things at once and when she's driving, that comes in about #16.:banghead:

So now, I drive her car whenever I'm on board. Then she and the DW chat away happily and I'm happy:cool:

I'm not too bad though if the driver is confident and competent. I used to work at a NASA satellite tracking facility out in the backwoods behind Canberra. We used to travel to work in a carpool in company cars. The roads out to the station were narrow and winding with lots of wildlife on the roads. Most of the drivers drove fast, very fast. So fast that the tires would howl as we went around the corners. But, they knew what they were doing mostly...mostly.
We did have one guy who worked in the powerhouse and when he was driving the car would go where he was looking. Once we were in the middle of a one lane wooden bridge with tire tread platforms and in the middle of the Bridge he turned around to tell me something (I was in the back seat) and immediately the car headed for the side of the bridge. You can just imagine what I said to him!:eek:

gearhead
10-05-2018, 05:59 PM
^^LOL I don't know what it is, but I just can't do it. Only after a back surgery, a colonoscopy, or just around the corner, does Betty drive and I ride.
Maybe I'm a control freak. I don't think so though. I think it's a little too late in life for therapy, regarding this issue anyway.
edit add: When Mike was driving in the carpool and he fell asleep at red lights, I bailed. I don't care how much money I save, get preferential parking at work, or I get a nap. I'm outa here.

B-O-B'03
10-05-2018, 08:39 PM

Me too, I hate being a passenger and do all the driving if we are pulling.

Our most recent trip, to Colorado, put 2200+ miles on the rig and I drove all of them, which is fine by me.

Went to my BIL wedding, in norther CA, took just over 3 weeks, did a lot of camping along the way and drove around 5200 miles... camping then was in a tent, with the 2 kids and DW, but still drove all of it except from Van Horne to Midland on the way home, after a stop for breakfast the DW wanted to drive, I took over again when we stopped in Midland for gas.

Hello, my name is Brian and I am a drive hog.

I think acceptance is the first step ;)

-Brian

GlampingHippie
07-29-2019, 03:20 PM
I am the wife. We share driving pretty equally and can both do all the tasks involved around setting up/taking down. However, when it comes to backing up, he drives and I direct. That's the only way it works....maybe he is a better driver......or maybe I am really bad at following directions:angel:

Cbrez
07-29-2019, 03:51 PM
My wife does about half the driving when we’re on the road, which helps out a lot. We bought a DRW and she is very comfortable towing with it. Campgrounds and pull throughs are no problem for her, but when it comes to back-in sites she is very hesitant. If the campground is slow I’ll talk her through backing in (hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go), Otherwise I get the captains chair.

Tbos
07-30-2019, 04:07 PM
No. I keep trying to get her to. She probably will someday.

LHaven
07-30-2019, 04:42 PM
My wife does ALL the tow driving. That's why the truck is "hers."

Technically, she does almost all the forward driving; I do almost all the backward driving.

She doesn't like the way I drive on the highway, and she's 100% incapable of navigating, so it's a Jack Spratt solution that suits everybody.

the406life
07-31-2019, 04:03 PM
My wife has no urge whatsoever to drive while we've been towing our 5th wheel or any of our travel trailers. She is okay with towing our boat, but that's about it. She won't back it up...that's all on me.

Most of the time she drives her Escalade towing the boat and I drive the truck pulling the travel trailer.

Ddubya
07-31-2019, 04:12 PM
We stopped in Tok Alaska last week and got into a discussion with another gentleman pulling a fifth wheel. He ask if my wife shared in the driving and she told him most defiantly not. He said; What will you do if something happens to the Geezer? She said, find another Geezer.

hornet28
08-01-2019, 04:10 AM
Sounds as though she'll replace you very quickly.:lol: Hope she doesn't bring him to your funeral. :eek:

notanlines
08-01-2019, 01:56 PM
DW wouldn’t have it any other way, including the triple towing. But the backing the rig is left up to me with her guiding. Chauvinism is not alive and well in our house. This is not some baloney manly-man crapola. Women can do all kinds of things; c’mon, this is the 21st century.

GMcKenzie
08-02-2019, 09:51 AM
DW wouldn’t have it any other way, including the triple towing. But the backing the rig is left up to me with her guiding. Chauvinism is not alive and well in our house. This is not some baloney manly-man crapola. Women can do all kinds of things; c’mon, this is the 21st century.

I'd love it if my DW would take a turn. But she doesn't even like driving the truck when not towing. She's a big help on backing up, hooking up etc. but just will not get in the drivers seat when hooked up.

And at 53 ys young, I doubt I'm ever going to change her.

UsTwo
08-02-2019, 10:02 AM
No way..She will pull forward at the dump station and that is all.. Even tho she can hook and un hook

Big1
08-11-2019, 11:38 PM
I'm on my own she will not drive.