PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Mach 3 A/C Heat Strip

Qwerty
09-22-2018, 08:36 AM
I have a Coleman Mach 3 (8000 series). I decided to invest in the optional heat strip despite all the reasons not to. Upon fitting I found that my a/c unit didn't have the required two pin connector for the strip although I do have a heat/cool thermostat.

Any ideas on how or, if it is even possible to wire this without the 'heat ready' connectors?

BamaRam
09-22-2018, 08:13 PM
If you haven’t checked already, Coleman has a library of service info available.

http://www.airxcel.com/coleman-mach/service-support/document-library

ctbruce
09-29-2018, 11:25 AM
The wire for mine was hanging down. Easy to find. Where to plug it in...not so much. If there, it could be pushed up under something.

Pull Toy
09-29-2018, 01:46 PM
For what the heat strip costs vs, the amount of heat put out, you might be happier with a portable 110bv plug in heater that can be moved around as needed.

My last trailer had a heat strip. It was pretty much useless below 60 degrees.

Good Luck,

Qwerty
10-01-2018, 11:29 AM
I finally discovered that my control unit is heat only, as I believe all stock units are. If you decide to buy a heat strip then you probably need to upgrade your control panel too. That will cost an additional $75 approximately so, the total cost for a mediocre source of heat is < $100. I sent mine back. The connector for the heat strip (if you have one) can be found on the end/side of the control unit which you can access from inside your RV by removing the filter holder.

BamaRam
10-01-2018, 06:49 PM
We bought a small electric heater at Walmart. Works good as a preheater for the LP.

xrated
10-02-2018, 01:44 AM
I had a heat strip in a Coleman A/C unit that I installed in an enclosed trailer that I had. It was better than not having one, but not by much. To me, after that experience..they are pretty much a waste of money.