PDA

View Full Version : Odd question

DENBRO
09-21-2018, 07:40 PM
I have a 2017 Bullet Ultralight 220RBI. It is recommended to turn off fridge and propane while traveling. I have a solar generator (battery) with a 30 amp RV receptacle. Question: is it feasible (Will it work) to connect the external power cord into the battery to run the refrigerator and, if so, where and how do I access the cord from INSIDE the trailer so I can plug it into the battery as we cruise down the road? I said it was an odd question.

chuckster57
09-21-2018, 07:51 PM
Welcome to the forum!!!

Who “recommended” that you turn off your fridge and shut off the propane while traveling? It’s not necessary and probably 95% of us if not more travel with the fridge operating on propane.

You would need 110VAC for the fridge to operate on AC during travel, which would require either a generator running or an inverter operating.

Set the fridge to “AUTO” open the propane valves and enjoy your trip.

travelin texans
09-21-2018, 07:55 PM
The easiest way is set the fridge to "auto" open propane bottle & hit the road. Tens of thousands have traveled millions of miles doing it this way for years, that's what they're designed to do.
Not sure what/how your solar set up might work, but I'd think you'll need an inverter to get AC power from your batteries/solar system.

Chief Mole
09-21-2018, 08:15 PM
The only time I ever turned the refrigerator off during our travel trailer days was because I was getting gasoline. As soon as that was done, the refrigerator was turned back on. Now we have a residential refrigerator so that is not necessary.

mazboy
09-22-2018, 04:08 AM
leave your propane on! you don't have to turn your refrig off at all while traveling.

even if you did turn it off for 4 or 5 hours it won't defrost.

let it go.

C.LeeNick
09-22-2018, 04:19 AM
I'm also curious where you heard you should shut the fridge and propane off when traveling. Going back to when I was young, in our family's then-new Sportscoach, we always left the fridge on when under way.

Often it blew out during driving, and in the old days, they didn't self light, so my dad would have to re-light it when we stopped for the day, but that just seemed to be "standard operating procedure".

Based on that experience, I've always left my fridge on while traveling. Never knew not to.

DENBRO
09-22-2018, 07:37 AM
Thank you to everyone who responded. I will keep it simple and leave on the propane except when refueling. I keep seeing videos of rv’s On fire due to propane lines ruptured on the road so thought I might try the solar battery concept, but it would be complicated. I’ve traveled with propane on and off and it is a big hassle when off due to warmups or using coolers. My wife has threatened my life if I do it again. Thanks for your quick responses and putting my mind at ease.

Gegrad
09-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Thank you to everyone who responded. I will keep it simple and leave on the propane except when refueling.

You shouldn't even have to turn it off during refueling. If there is that much gasoline vapor in the air to ignite from the flame, the station will have gone up in flames from other cars coming and going LONG before your little flame would cause anything. That just seems like a great way to waste 10 extra minutes at the station.

C.LeeNick
09-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Thank you to everyone who responded. I will keep it simple and leave on the propane except when refueling. I keep seeing videos of rv’s On fire due to propane lines ruptured on the road so thought I might try the solar battery concept, but it would be complicated. I’ve traveled with propane on and off and it is a big hassle when off due to warmups or using coolers. My wife has threatened my life if I do it again. Thanks for your quick responses and putting my mind at ease.

The "My wife has threatened my life it I do it again" quote was a laugh out loud moment for me! :lol:

I seem to remember back in the "old days" there being 3 way fridges that would work off 12volt while underway, but I've never owned one. Maybe they still make them? I don't know. But my experience has been that propane is a pretty safe fuel. I'm totally comfortable with my new rig with the fridge burning propane while underway, and I must say the fact that it will re-light itself if the wind blows it out on the road is pretty cool.

(OK, just re-read that, and honestly, no pun intended!)

Pull Toy
09-22-2018, 12:11 PM
To the best of my knowledge, the only time you are "required" to turn off propane is when in certain marked tunnels, or marked bridges or ferries. Other than that, as already mentioned, your kept closed COLD refrigerator will stay cold for quite a while. So it's a matter of choice, For me, here in New England where traffic jams are a given, I keep mine on propane for travel.

For example, the George Washington Bridge between NYC and NJ requires Haz-Mat, and propane to use the upper level . But is rarely enforced.

Good Luck,

Snoking
09-22-2018, 02:27 PM
Propane industry groups recommend turning it off when fueling.

sourdough
09-22-2018, 03:22 PM
There's no need to turn your propane off when refueling IMO. Just think about it; that tiny pilot is a long way from that pump. As was mentioned, if the fumes were that heavy the smoker standing next to his pump 20' away would have already exploded. In our case, the pilot is 20'+ away from the pump and on the other side of the trailer. If something is going to cause a blowup at the pump there are a lot of other folks doing far worse than leaving a fridge pilot lit that should go "boom" first. YMMV

notanlines
09-22-2018, 05:59 PM
"Propane industry groups recommend turning it off when fueling" That's because of the large number of lives lost every year due to RV's exploding at the pumps. Uh, excuse me while I get my tongue out of my cheek.
There are a number of RV owners who will not travel with the propane on, check the tire pressure every single pee stop, and loosen and retorque lug nuts before every trip. It is what floats their boat. In that it doesn't affect me or mine I really couldn't care less. However I can't in good conscience recommend to an inexperienced RV'er that the propane should be turned off during refueling. Better that they should spend that time checking the air pressure in the tires....:D

Local150
09-23-2018, 04:53 AM
Sure don't miss the old days of laying on the floor and lite frig manually

Pull Toy
09-23-2018, 08:20 AM
The oven is still a pain! Especially with a center island floor Plan! LOL

Local150
09-23-2018, 02:10 PM
The oven is still a pain! Especially with a center island floor Plan! LOL
It sure is,, I was gonna cook pizza a while back,, by the time I got it lit was not hungry lol

flybouy
09-24-2018, 10:58 AM
I have a 2017 Bullet Ultralight 220RBI. It is recommended to turn off fridge and propane while traveling. I have a solar generator (battery) with a 30 amp RV receptacle. Question: is it feasible (Will it work) to connect the external power cord into the battery to run the refrigerator and, if so, where and how do I access the cord from INSIDE the trailer so I can plug it into the battery as we cruise down the road? I said it was an odd question.

WOW, I've not heard of turning off the propane while underway (he said with a sarcastic tone :rolleyes:)
:popcorn:

JRTJH
09-24-2018, 01:29 PM
I don't think we'll ever find a statement in any Dometic manual that says, "If you're reading this on the Keystone Forum....." That said, the Dometic owner's manual addresses operating the refrigerator while underway. It does not say "you can safely use propane" nor does it say, "You must not use propane" but it does say that the rocking and motion of the coach will eliminate the need to maintain the vehicle level while operating the refrigerator when towing. That "should" provide the ability to understand the process (although it's not addressed in specific words"....

Anyway, this is what's in the Dometic 2652/2852 Owner's Manual:

"Any time the vehicle is parked for several hours with the refrigerator operating, the vehicle should be leveled to prevent this loss of cooling. The vehicle needs to be leveled only so it is comfortable to live in (no noticeable sloping of floor or walls). When the vehicle is moving, the leveling is not critical, as the rolling and pitching movement of the vehicle will pass to either side of level, keeping the liquid ammonia from accumulating in the evaporator tubing."

So, common sense would indicate that if the rocking while towing is sufficient to distribute the gasses, then it must be OK to operate the refrigerator while in motion which means that it also must be OK to operate the propane system when in motion because that's the only way to operate the refrigerator.... (vicious circle ???)

And, if there's someone who wants to rebut this with, "But that could mean operating it on 12 VDC"... Remember, the 2652/2852 are both two-way refrigerator systems and require either 120VAC or LPG to operate... :popcorn:

aaronhuff59
09-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Keep it on while travelling unless required otherwise by your DOT like on specific tunnels and such.

Local150
09-24-2018, 02:19 PM
I don't think we'll ever find a statement in any Dometic manual that says, "If you're reading this on the Keystone Forum....." That said, the Dometic owner's manual addresses operating the refrigerator while underway. It does not say "you can safely use propane" nor does it say, "You must not use propane" but it does say that the rocking and motion of the coach will eliminate the need to maintain the vehicle level while operating the refrigerator when towing. That "should" provide the ability to understand the process (although it's not addressed in specific words"....

Anyway, this is what's in the Dometic 2652/2852 Owner's Manual:

"Any time the vehicle is parked for several hours with the refrigerator operating, the vehicle should be leveled to prevent this loss of cooling. The vehicle needs to be leveled only so it is comfortable to live in (no noticeable sloping of floor or walls). When the vehicle is moving, the leveling is not critical, as the rolling and pitching movement of the vehicle will pass to either side of level, keeping the liquid ammonia from accumulating in the evaporator tubing."

So, common sense would indicate that if the rocking while towing is sufficient to distribute the gasses, then it must be OK to operate the refrigerator while in motion which means that it also must be OK to operate the propane system when in motion because that's the only way to operate the refrigerator.... (vicious circle ???)

And, if there's someone who wants to rebut this with, "But that could mean operating it on 12 VDC"... Remember, the 2652/2852 are both two-way refrigerator systems and require either 120VAC or LPG to operate... :popcorn:
A good read,, enjoyed it

bfisher003
09-24-2018, 02:19 PM
We always run with our reefer running on propane.

Local150
09-24-2018, 03:13 PM
We always run with our reefer running on propane.
Me too, have never had a problem with keeping it lit either

Gegrad
09-24-2018, 05:06 PM
Keep it on while travelling unless required otherwise by your DOT like on specific tunnels and such.

This is the most succinct, best answer you can get.

larryflew
09-27-2018, 07:28 AM
What you have heard is probably due to mfgs etc legal team regarding their insurance should you want to sue if the oddball thing happens. A CYA for sure. Set to Auto and let her go.

BadmanRick
09-27-2018, 07:47 AM
First of all to run your refrigerator on AC while traveling you would need at least a 1000 watt inverter. The refrigerator has a 325 watt AC heater. I tried using a 400 watt inverter and it did not run the refrigerator. Even though it had an 800 watt surg rating. Tried a 750 watt and again it didn’t work. A 1000 watt worked but it ran the battery down extremely fast. The vehicle would not charge the battery sufficiently to maintain it. You would have to put a large battery bank which defeats the purpose.
Turn in the propane and let it run.

Froglaw
09-27-2018, 08:25 AM

I've got a Bullet 26 feet. Auto setting and roll. Summer 2017 I drove the Alcan all the way to Deadhorse. Two flat trailer tires, blew out the single 31 inch leaf springs, and the dogs got sick from eating foxtails. Fridge worked the whole time.

UsTwo
09-27-2018, 10:10 AM
I also run with propane on. But, on my last travel trlr. I did not. for what ever reason I thought it not a good idea..After getting the RV home and pluging it in and getting the fridge cold and stocked. I would then take frozen water (ice) in pencil boxes, or cooler ice packs and put them in the fridge/freezer. geez was I really saving propane by doing that..?? I don't think so..I guess sometimes one reads into something that hits that sweet spot.. Don't ask about the RV Wind Generators I was looking at to keep batteries charged up..while going down the road and at a campground...

abearago
09-27-2018, 03:35 PM
If I turn off the propane, how does that stop the igniter from igniting. Should the refrigerator be turned off also.

travelin texans
09-27-2018, 03:46 PM
If I turn off the propane, how does that stop the igniter from igniting. Should the refrigerator be turned off also.

There should be 4 settings on your fridge control panel, AC, LP, AU (AUTO) or OFF. If you don't want the fridge to run while traveling set it to OFF otherwise choose the appropriate setting, which in my case is always set to AUTO unless it's in storage.
All this brings up another good topic for someone to start this time of year, do you run your furnace while traveling? Obviously for me if I run the fridge while traveling then you bet I'm running the furnace. If I had an onboard generator I'd run the acs while traveling as well.

B&T_NF-NY
09-27-2018, 03:50 PM
I also thought that you shouldn't run the fridge while towing - you know, propane lines open, and needing the fridge to be level and such. Ok this is good news! One question ; only our second year RVing, and we have only used electric. About how much propane would you go through in a 8 to 10 hour trip? By the way this forum is a tremendous resource . . MANY THANKS TO ALL

bob91yj
09-27-2018, 04:06 PM
The amount of propane burned through in that length of time would be insignificant.

B&T_NF-NY
09-27-2018, 04:13 PM
Thanks again for your help and advice

abearago
09-27-2018, 05:12 PM
My point was the propane is not igniting the gas fumes but the refrigerator was. The propane is the source and I need a spark to start the fire ect. Turn off the propane, pull into refuel spot, refrigerator demands a spark and we still could have a fire.

JRTJH
09-27-2018, 06:04 PM
My point was the propane is not igniting the gas fumes but the refrigerator was. The propane is the source and I need a spark to start the fire ect. Turn off the propane, pull into refuel spot, refrigerator demands a spark and we still could have a fire.

Theoretically, that possibility "might" happen... one time. If you remember the refrigerator sequence of operations, when the thermistor senses a need for cooling, the control panel initiates the ignition sequence. After three attempts at ignition. If the flame sensor does not detect ignition, a lockout occurs, the refrigerator check light comes on and the ignition sequence is interrupted. It won't reinitiate until the refrigerator is manually turned off and then back to on and then, only if the refrigerator is set to LP or shore power is disconnected. So, for your spark to occur, it would have to be the "first time the thermistor calls for cooling" since the propane had been turned off. Otherwise, the lockout would have already occurred and the refrigerator check light would be on and the ignition function disabled by the control board.

Essentially, it would take a "perfect storm" for the spark to occur at the same time as pulling into the refueling spot.

It's not "impossible" that you could pull into a refueling spot, refrigerator demands a spark and you could have a fire..... But, the likelihood of the "perfect storm" is extremely remote. Besides, with most floorplans, the refrigerator is not within 25' of the refueling door on the tow vehicle, lessening the possibility even further that the "one time before lockout" of the refrigerator might occur where fumes are present.

travelin texans
09-27-2018, 06:21 PM
I also thought that you shouldn't run the fridge while towing - you know, propane lines open, and needing the fridge to be level and such. Ok this is good news! One question ; only our second year RVing, and we have only used electric. About how much propane would you go through in a 8 to 10 hour trip? By the way this forum is a tremendous resource . . MANY THANKS TO ALL

About the same amount as refilling your Bic lighter.
Your furnace is the biggest gas hog, if cold it'll go through a 20# bottle in about 3 days.

chuckster57
09-27-2018, 06:35 PM
If you have the standard 6cubic foot refer, we tested and as long as you have 12V to operate the control board, a single 7 gal cylinder will last 30 days.

Local150
09-28-2018, 07:01 AM
Not enough to measure,, especially if your frig is already cold

shermris
10-01-2018, 02:37 PM
Turning off your propane and refrigerator is optional. The reason some recommend this practice is that if you were in an accident such as a rollover your propane could cause an explosion. I travel with mine on. I don't want to lug along a cooler full of ice and wait 3 hours for the refrigerator to get cold. I specifically ask my dealer the question about travelling with the propane on and he stated that it was a generally safe and approved practice.

shermris
10-01-2018, 02:45 PM
I have traveled about 2000 miles, (30 plus hours), this summer with my propane on and camped for approximately 4 weeks and I'm still on my first tank. I haven't checked the level since I returned from our last 700 mile camping trip but I will check the tank level before my next trip. The refrigerator is very propane efficient appliance. The one device that will chew through your propane is your furnace. I travel with a small 1000 watt electric heater that is sufficient for nearly all of my heating needs.

flybouy
10-01-2018, 06:59 PM
Turning off your propane and refrigerator is optional. The reason some recommend this practice is that if you were in an accident such as a rollover your propane could cause an explosion. I travel with mine on. I don't want to lug along a cooler full of ice and wait 3 hours for the refrigerator to get cold. I specifically ask my dealer the question about travelling with the propane on and he stated that it was a generally safe and approved practice.

Possible but I don't think very probable. A severed lp hose or line would cause the valve on any modern tank to shut off. If you want to eliminate all the fire risks then you would have to remove every aerosol propellent. Hairy spray, bug spray, cooking sprays, etc. And don't forget to get gel batteries and if you have a fuel station in a toy hauler you better change out that gas tank for a NASCAR approved fuel cell. I have no idea the rate of lp related fires per rv crash but I'd bet it's pretty rare. Maybe a "safety expert" or "crash engineer" will chime in. Seems like there's an abundance of "experts" on the forum.:)

sourdough
10-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Possible but I don't think very probable. A severed lp hose or line would cause the valve on any modern tank to shut off. If you want to eliminate all the fire risks then you would have to remove every aerosol propellent. Hairy spray, bug spray, cooking sprays, etc. And don't forget to get gel batteries and if you have a fuel station in a toy hauler you better change out that gas tank for a NASCAR approved fuel cell. I have no idea the rate of lp related fires per rv crash but I'd bet it's pretty rare. Maybe a "safety expert" or "crash engineer" will chime in. Seems like there's an abundance of "experts" on the forum.:)

I think you are on the money. On the other hand, as you observe, we probably have one, or two?, "safety experts" or "safety engineers" that can chime in and "set us straight"? :facepalm: Javi, I know you are an engineer and appreciate that...not one word of this post has anything to do with you....I appreciate you so just tune this out. :flowers:

Snoking
10-01-2018, 07:08 PM
When propane tank is heated in a fire it starts venting it's gas and adds to the fire. We watched a boat burn to the water line in 1990. As each tank vented the fire flared up a great Neal.

travelin texans
10-01-2018, 08:00 PM
Just one more of the "what if" possibilities of living everyday!
If it was so extremely dangerous they wouldn't build them to run on propane at all.