PDA

View Full Version : Storage Compartment flooring

Hey Louie
09-16-2018, 01:17 PM
We have lots of storage compartments in our new 5er. However some of them have a nice rubber type flooring which is great, but some have the same flooring that is in the kitchen and things seem to slide quite a bit. I was thinking about putting down a new surface in some of these compartments that would have more grip. Has anyone else ever done this? If so what did you use? Was looking at some rubber flooring but that seems to be a bit pricey.

JRTJH
09-16-2018, 02:01 PM
I bought a 4-pack of 2'x2' interlocking foam matting from Lowes. I cut to fit and just laid it in the storage spaces that didn't have carpet or anti-slip. It protects the floor and prevents most cargo from sliding around. Total cost about $15 and if it gets torn or dirty I can remove it and install another set.

busterbrown
09-16-2018, 02:09 PM
This rubber mat worked well for my passthrough storage. Very "grippy" and perfect for your application.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M68FDY5/

Comes in different sizes too.

Hey Louie
09-16-2018, 03:29 PM
I bought a 4-pack of 2'x2' interlocking foam matting from Lowes. I cut to fit and just laid it in the storage spaces that didn't have carpet or anti-slip. It protects the floor and prevents most cargo from sliding around. Total cost about $15 and if it gets torn or dirty I can remove it and install another set.

We have 2 pass thrus that are 40 inches by 8 feet. I'd estimate that I would need about 16 tiles or 4 packs. About $60. Seems reasonable. How durable are they?

Hey Louie
09-16-2018, 03:32 PM
This rubber mat worked well for my passthrough storage. Very "grippy" and perfect for your application.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M68FDY5/

Comes in different sizes too.

Thanks for the link. Did you use anything to attach it to the existing floor or just set it loose?

JRTJH
09-16-2018, 06:10 PM
We have 2 pass thrus that are 40 inches by 8 feet. I'd estimate that I would need about 16 tiles or 4 packs. About $60. Seems reasonable. How durable are they?

Mine have been in the front compartment for 5+ years and still going strong. I don't have any plans to replace it any time soon.