PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage

Flynntom
09-16-2018, 11:15 AM
How should I prepare my Bullet 287QBS for storage inside with a dirt floor?

JRTJH
09-16-2018, 01:45 PM
Air up the tires to maximum pressure indicated on the sidewalls, back the trailer into the space with the tires resting on a barrier. Either plywood, 2x8's or rubber so the tires are "insulated from moisture" and unhitch. Most people would recommend not to extend the jacks or stabilizers (if they are crank down type). If you have the automatic leveling system, then it's up to you. Remember that if you remove your batteries from the trailer for storage (recommended) you will not be able to move your trailer in the event of an emergency unless you reconnect the batteries. That's the reason I recommend not extending the automatic leveling system and removing the batteries.

Other than that, it's just a simple winterization and protection from mice and chipmunks.

Bama Hammer
10-15-2018, 06:47 PM
Why is it recommended to not extend the crank down style stabilizers?

JRTJH
10-15-2018, 07:12 PM
The stabilizers are not designed to support the trailer weight but only to stabilize the trailer during use. If you "crank them down" and lose air pressure in a tire or two during the months in storage, as the trailer gets lower to the ground it can damage the stabilizers, destroy them or on lightweight trailers, possibly twist the frame causing permanent damage.

Of course, if you prefer to have the trailer "stabilized during storage" so you can reduce the weight on the tires, then "jack it up" and put blocks or appropriately sized jacks/jack stands under it..... Just don't rely on the stabilizers to do a job they aren't rated to do.

sourdough
10-15-2018, 07:27 PM
As John mentioned, the "stabilizers" just aren't meant to support the weight of the trailer...at all. They just try to keep the rocking and sway to a minimum. I learned the hard way; loading up to leave a site, forgot about the stabilizers (in a hurry, bad weather) and started lowering the tongue jack to hit the hitch. My wife always walks around double checking stuff and I heard her yell to stop. I had not lowered the jack 3-4" I suspect when she called out so I stopped. Just that little bit of drop had buckled the front stabilizers due to my stupidity. I rectified that at a cost of about $670. So, if you want something to support the trailer use something other than the stabilizers IMO.