PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Devil's Cap

wiredgeorge
09-15-2018, 04:32 PM
We live in the Texas Hill Country and our area is not hospitable to mushrooms but last couple weeks it has been raining non-stop. Our dog Charlie had to be rushed to an emergency vet clinic in town. Turns out he ate some Devil's Cap mushrooms which are an extremely poisonous killer. We spent over $2000 and Charlie survived. These mushrooms are mostly seen in California and the west coast but not here in Texas. If you see one of these, there are more you are not seeing so watch for the sake of your pets! We found about a half a grocery sack of these things in our dog run about an hour ago (about 1/3 acre fenced).

flybouy
09-15-2018, 04:50 PM
Hope your dog is O.K. They are on the east coast as well. Had 3 in the front yard last week. Went out today and it's covered with them. Our dogs only roam free in the backyard as it's fenced. We have lived in this house going on 20 years and have never seen them before. Here in the "People's Republic of Maryland" the rainfall is 20"+ above normal so far this year.

66joej
09-15-2018, 06:15 PM
We live in the Texas Hill Country and our area is not hospitable to mushrooms but last couple weeks it has been raining non-stop. Our dog Charlie had to be rushed to an emergency vet clinic in town. Turns out he ate some Devil's Cap mushrooms which are an extremely poisonous killer. We spent over $2000 and Charlie survived. These mushrooms are mostly seen in California and the west coast but not here in Texas. If you see one of these, there are more you are not seeing so watch for the sake of your pets! We found about a half a grocery sack of these things in our dog run about an hour ago (about 1/3 acre fenced).

Sorry to hear about Charlie. Hope all goes well for him. Being a dog lover I can understand your concern. Don't see that particular mushroom here in Radium but will be on the lookout.

packnrat
09-16-2018, 04:47 AM
my thoughts go out for your pup. i do hope for a full and healthy recovery.

but as to already 20 inches of rain. please send some our way here in the peoples democratic republic of kelifourna.

ADQ K9
09-18-2018, 08:24 AM
Haven't seen any like that round here but there are plenty more that are poisonous even up here in Alaska (which I like to think is still a Constitutional Republic)
I patrol the yard for mushrooms as I pick up my fur babbies emissions.
Best wishes for your pups recovery.

wiredgeorge
09-18-2018, 01:29 PM
Charlie is almost back to normal. Sent a note to the emergency vet with pics of these mushrooms and hope it sticks in his head. We have stuff growing that I don't recall seeing before; have had a bunch more rain than normal. Today is the first day in about 3 weeks with no rain... as soon as the sun burns off the water in my yards, they will get mowed. Geesh... lawn mowing in Texas?

LuvsPalmTrees
09-19-2018, 01:25 PM
Glad Charlie is on the mend. We get mushrooms in Michigan but I am not sure what type they are. I am glad the dog has a mushroom dislike just like my DH.