PDA

View Full Version : Transporting 100# LP tanks

oldmanbill
09-13-2018, 09:11 AM
For the winter I need to fill 100# Propane tanks for heat. Looked for months for a remedy and finally decided to build a receiver hitch carrier. Here is what I came up with. It needs to be cleaned and painted yet. Just modified a hand truck with a steel mount for the receiver hitch.

Javi
09-13-2018, 09:30 AM
For the winter I need to fill 100# Propane tanks for heat. Looked for months for a remedy and finally decided to build a receiver hitch carrier. Here is what I came up with. It needs to be cleaned and painted yet. Just modified a hand truck with a steel mount for the receiver hitch.

Most propane dealers around here will come to you for a 100 pound tank.. Have you tried callin' them folks..

oldmanbill
09-13-2018, 09:34 AM
not available here...

bob91yj
09-13-2018, 10:04 AM
Creative idea! I get a kick out of seeing the contraptions that folks come up with to solve a problem rather than just going out and buying something.

I'm sure the straps will hold it well enough on their own, but I'd consider a safety "chain' around the bottle.

oldmanbill
09-13-2018, 10:34 AM
interesting, refer me to a manufacturer...

Javi
09-13-2018, 11:03 AM
Ferrell Gas

1797 Lokey St
Leesburg, AL 35983-3730
256-878-2717 (tel:2568782717)

Branch Manager

Mike Cook

flybouy
09-13-2018, 11:55 AM
If your feeling suicidal then hitch it up, let the guy behind you get close then slam on the brakes!

oldmanbill
09-13-2018, 12:10 PM
about the same as someone tailending the Cougar

flybouy
09-13-2018, 12:45 PM
about the same as someone tailending the Cougar

Yes, but seeing that 100# propane tank bouncing down the road tied to a rusty hand truck that I wouldn't trust to carry an empty beer keg on would be lot's more entertaining ! :lol: Break out the bomb retrieval gear and suit up. :hide:

notanlines
09-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Let's put all humor and wisecracks aside for a moment...…(long pause) sorry, I can't even climb on my own bandwagon, Bill.
That simply is NOT something that you need to put in use. It is just wrong on so many levels.

bob91yj
09-13-2018, 01:33 PM
...or the countless number of off highway travelers (raising hand) that carry 5 gallon gas cans on the back of their vehicles just waiting to get rear ended and spilling gasoline all over the hot engine in the vehicle that hit them.

Life is a risk, do what you can to minimize the risk and go for it!

wiredgeorge
09-13-2018, 01:56 PM
My GS1000G has a 5 gallon can sitting between my legs when I go down the road.... just saying... Remind me not to tailgate the guy with 100 lbs of propane hanging off his RV bumper hitch. BTW: Most propane distributors lease tanks for a reasonable amount.

flybouy
09-13-2018, 02:55 PM
Let's put all humor and wisecracks aside for a moment...…(long pause) sorry, I can't even climb on my own bandwagon, Bill.
That simply is NOT something that you need to put in use. It is just wrong on so many levels.
I was being DEAD serious, pun intended. I can't imagine anyone that fills propane would touch that tank attached like that. I can understand if you want to take the tank from your trailer to the campground filling pump but even then, can't imagine the cg owner being good with it. I assume, hope, that the OP was posting this in jest. Can't imagine ANYONE seriously considering this.

hankaye
09-13-2018, 03:44 PM
oldmanbill, Howdy;

Consider the weight of Propane is 4.2 lbs. per gal..
Should you find anyone to fill it they will only go to 80%
so that would be 23.6 gal of Propane so;
23.6 X 4.2 = 99.12 pounds added to the tank's empty weight
of roughly 70 lbs. so now you are trying to cope with about
170 lbs. of weight bouncing up & down at the very rear of your
truck and trying it's dangdest to tear up that fancy carrier you've
fashioned to shuffle it from point A to point B and back again.
Are we havin' fun yet???

hank

oldmanbill
09-13-2018, 04:28 PM
So Flybouy, you think you know everything, read some of your posts, you really do. For several years I hauled LNG trailers, 11,000 gallons, all over the country. I am well trained and experienced in cryogenics, which LPG is also. Hazmat certified. In a fire department for 20+ years. Roughly 200 lb on a hitch rated at 5000 lb. Heavy steel backbone carries the tank not the handtruck, it only positions it. Straps holding it on rated for 1000 lb each. Well within federal specs. I would have no problem sitting a 1500 lb trailer on it. The only thing questionable is the few degrees forward lean which was done so the center of gravity helps hold it on. You must know little about engineering in steel. I could flip the truck and the tank would still be attached.

Not just me but many have the problem of transporting them. Law says they must be vertical so that the overfill releaf is in the 20% vapor and not liquid. Pickup truck sides are too low to properly support a 100# tank. Old school we just chucked a couple of tanks is the pickup on their side, but new laws.

The only joke here is your opinions. You said your piece, now go tell someone else their business.

travelin texans
09-13-2018, 05:07 PM
You should patent it! Unless someone on here has a better plan to transport it, 2 thumbs up on ingenuity!
Before retirement there were "professional" truck drivers coming into our facility loading gasoline/diesel fuel to the stores, about a 3rd of those "professionals" scared the hell out of me knowing they were on the highway with a full load of fuel.

flybouy
09-13-2018, 06:58 PM
So Flybouy, you think you know everything, read some of your posts, you really do. For several years I hauled LNG trailers, 11,000 gallons, all over the country. I am well trained and experienced in cryogenics, which LPG is also. Hazmat certified. In a fire department for 20+ years. Roughly 200 lb on a hitch rated at 5000 lb. Heavy steel backbone carries the tank not the handtruck, it only positions it. Straps holding it on rated for 1000 lb each. Well within federal specs. I would have no problem sitting a 1500 lb trailer on it. The only thing questionable is the few degrees forward lean which was done so the center of gravity helps hold it on. You must know little about engineering in steel. I could flip the truck and the tank would still be attached.

Not just me but many have the problem of transporting them. Law says they must be vertical so that the overfill releaf is in the 20% vapor and not liquid. Pickup truck sides are too low to properly support a 100# tank. Old school we just chucked a couple of tanks is the pickup on their side, but new laws.

The only joke here is your opinions. You said your piece, now go tell someone else their business.
Well Bill Looks like you are the expert and an ace engineer at that. Not only do you know his hitch isratedfor 5K, your comparing that to rated hitch CARRYING capacity. Can you show me that hitch? So my opinion is a joke. O.K. now go forth and continue talking out of the side of your ... well you already know, you're obviously well versed there.

chuckster57
09-14-2018, 02:27 AM
Well it looks like this thread is headed to flame thrower status. Before that happens I am going to turn off the fuel, this thread is closed.