PDA

View Full Version : Question about being on 30 Amps instead of usual 50Amps

rogermack50
09-12-2018, 09:29 AM
Hi Everyone,
I hope I'm not over using my welcome here as this is my 3rd Thread in a week.
OK, I have a new 2019 Keystone Avalanche 36' 5th Wheel...literally a Condo on Wheels. I have the opportunity for a Seasonal on a much desired RV spot on Cape Cod next summer but it is a 30 Amp spot...a 50 Amp is, wait for it, $1500 more for the Season Apr - Oct...it is very expensive, I did say it was on the Cape..and I want to be sure that I can have a fun filled summer with grand-kids etc without blowing fuses left and right etc..the New Avalanches's have 2 Air Cond, Full Fridge, 50" entertainment center...I am figuring the only problem might be 2 airs, but it is the Cape, known for open breezes and cooler than Eastern Massachusetts and the Air in the bedroom is never really used at nite...too loud to sleep with it on...So just wondering what i might be missing, if it is workable, or head to Maine where it is at least 1/2 price etc...Note: My wife spent all her summers in Masspee down the cape so she is excited about it...So walking away without a solid reason is not going to fly well...LOL
Thank You..
Mac

Javi
09-12-2018, 09:39 AM
On 30 amps you will need to watch the draw, 1 a/c, turn the a/c off if you want to use the microwave or a hair dryer... Run the HW heater on propane... etc.… but it is doable for sure... not sure I'd want to spend the summer that way though..

DocP
09-12-2018, 09:43 AM
My opinion is to "go for it". I park my Cougar 32RLI on a seasonal lot that only has 30 AMP service because the cost difference between lot rental and storage is small enough to justify it. I understand that I cannot run both air conditioners, and that I have to monitor the electricity usage carefully (e.g., cannot use both microwave and my wife's hair dryer at the same time). You learn how to do it. Worst case scenario, you turn off one of the appliances and reset the tripped breaker.

Another thing I did, which some campgrounds won't let you get away with, is to add a 15 amp plug to the outside of the camper, and ran a dedicated outlet to my kitchen counter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NV0V8C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I can then run a heavy duty extension cord to the separate outlet on the power pedestal and run some of the appliances that consume a lot of energy when power demand is high (e.g., coffeemaker, portable induction cooktop, etc.).

rogermack50
09-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Thanks Michael,
It looks like you lose quite a bit with a 30 Amp...I don't want to get into any side resolutions because i wont be there all the time to rectify any problems my daughter might have with the 3 and 5 year old girls...and I have No Voice, so no one can call me to help with situations. I guess I should learn what the high electrical appliances, things are in the RV...otherwise, safer to cancel the Cape...If you saw RV with Robin Williams that has been my RV experience so far....

bobbecky
09-12-2018, 12:22 PM
We've had to stay at 30 amp sites quite a bit over the years and it really is easy to adapt. You run the fridge and water heater on gas only. Like was already said, you have to be aware of what appliances you are using. A/C on, don't use the microwave or hair dryer, toaster, or anything else that draws a lot of juice. Most of these things are morning loads, so you probably won't have the A/C on then anyway. You will get used to it and will enjoy the location. Before getting our rig we are in now, we spent a month in a 25 foot 5er, crossing the deserts of California, Arizona, and New Mexico on the way to Odessa, TX in June and July, and only had 30 amps, and survived quite well. It's doable.

Eastham
09-12-2018, 02:50 PM
seasonal on cape cod are hard to come by.we are on the cape with 30 amp and have really had no trouble with 30 amp.You live with it and after awhile you won't even think about it.have been on 30 amp for over 25 yrs seasonally and the beaches are beautiful. What campground with April through oct?

Ksupaul
09-12-2018, 05:47 PM
No issues with 30 amp. I have run everything with the AC. Just not anything with the AC plus something else. Honestly in about 5 stays on 30 amp, I trip it once with AC, crock pot, and a hair dryer. At least I think those were the three. We run AC and microwave all the time on 30.

~edit: DW said it wasn’t AC and Crockpot and hairdryer. It was AC and electric indoor griddle. Those things do pull tons. Forgot that.

WNY Bullet
09-13-2018, 02:49 AM
We are 30amp and the only problem we have had was with the DW's hair dryer. She just needs to turn off the AC while using it and all is fine.

SummitPond
09-13-2018, 03:28 AM
Recognize 30 amp is just that (30 amps) while a 50 amp circuit is really 100 amps (two 50 amp circuits) - so yes, the difference in the ability to operate your appliances/equipment at the same time is drastic. Careful management is required for a 30 amp rig. We only have 30 amps, so the AC and microwave can't be used at the same time. Ditto for the toaster and coffee maker (and other high current draw equipment must be off). Hot water is also a concern if you wish to use electricity rather than gas. We rely on the Progressive Industries EMS display to determine current draw of the various appliances.

Javi
09-13-2018, 03:45 AM
Ya'll need to remember that the OP is not only in a 36ft 5th wheel but is running an inverter and a converter... so the household fridge/icemaker is drawing power... TV, phone/tablet chargers, vacuum charger... the list goes on.. especially with two small children..

If I had to stay on the Cape, I'd pay the $1500 for April thru October that's $215 a month.. to not have to worry about what I could plug in or turn on..

But it ain't me... and I'm not welcome around them parts, no way.. :D

Eastham
09-13-2018, 04:03 AM
Would the appliances be using amps from the 30 amp circuit if they are being run from the converter?

Javi
09-13-2018, 04:12 AM
Would the appliances be using amps from the 30 amp circuit if they are being run from the converter?

30 amp is feeding the converter.. but there are few 12 volt appliances in a 5th wheel..

Eastham
09-13-2018, 04:29 AM
The fridge is 120 the ice maker 120 if they are being run off the inverter they wount be using from the 30 amp s

rogermack50
09-13-2018, 04:40 AM
Hey Javi I am a old Marine if anyone isn't welcome around these parts, it is me....adding $1500 on top of a $6400 Seasonal bill is just outrageous to me....I have my limits especially when Maine or NH is equal the distance, twice the space and the privacy that I desire. Less traffic, and just as much to see and do as the Cape... And they don't close up their pools the day after Labor Day...That really burned me when I brought the kids to the Cape on Labor Day for the week and they had a great time playing in the pool, we went the next morning and it was closed for the season...Jeez...I'm on a Fixed income and I do want my wife to be Happy but I think she'd be just as thrilled to spend a week there and the rest of the summer being Maine or NH based and having some extra money to really have fun and do things. So the 30 amp thing is the killer....for a week, yes, a whole season at that price, No...

Javi
09-13-2018, 04:54 AM
The fridge is 120 the ice maker 120 if they are being run off the inverter they wount be using from the 30 amp sWhere does the inverter get it's power? Think about it beforehand answering..

Snoking
09-13-2018, 06:45 AM
This idea I guess assumes we are talking about a residential frig.

Here is a little drawing to help understand the paths. For items that consume high power, within the inverter's rating that are used for a short period can benefit from the converter/battery/inverter path. This uses the batteries as a buffer, as they will supply high levels of current for short periods. This path is less than 100% efficient, inverter may be only 90% and there are other losses in the converter charging the batteries.

However for items like the frig that have a 50 percent or higher duty cycle this does not work well. Here are the input requirements for a 80 amp converter:

Input: 105-130 VAC, 1,300 Watts
Note: Requires 20 amp rated outlet

Snoking
09-13-2018, 06:55 AM
This idea I guess assumes we are talking about a residential frig.

Here is a little drawing to help understand the paths. For items that consume high power, within the inverter's rating that are used for a short period can benefit from the converter/battery/inverter path. This uses the batteries as a buffer, as they will supply high levels of current for short periods. This path is less than 100% efficient, inverter may be only 90% and there are other losses in the converter charging the batteries.

However for items like the frig that have a 50 percent or higher duty cycle this does not work well. Here are the input requirements for a 80 amp converter:

Input: 105-130 VAC, 1,300 Watts
Note: Requires 20 amp rated outlet

I had our 29' 5th wheel with a similar setup of dry camping. I had a switch on the converter input and a separate 15/20Amp AC input for my Honda eu1000i generator. I could up the micro wave and dry dryer on the Heart Freedom 10 inverter, that the eu1000i could not. Run the TV and Sat system worked great, as I could cool down and refuel the generator while the inverter continued to operate the equipment.

Eastham
09-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Javi I am probably confused but I was thinking that the inverter gets its power from the batteries and the inverter then powers the fridge and ice maker.so the amps being used would be from the inverter not the 30 amp supply.

Javi
09-13-2018, 08:57 AM
Javi I am probably confused but I was thinking that the inverter gets its power from the batteries and the inverter then powers the fridge and ice maker.so the amps being used would be from the inverter not the 30 amp supply.That's correct as far as it goes, but the batteries have to be charged and that will pull from shore power through the converter. Although I think most of the residential fridges switch to 110 when connected to shore power.

Snoking
09-13-2018, 09:02 AM
Javi I am probably confused but I was thinking that the inverter gets its power from the batteries and the inverter then powers the fridge and ice maker.so the amps being used would be from the inverter not the 30 amp supply.

There is no free lunch with an inverter. It's source, "batteries", have to be recharged. In the case of a RV the converter is the battery charger. Wiring a second input from the 20 amp outlet to the converter is one option. A better one would be to power the main AC from that power source.

However, lets all remember the most single AC trailers have 30 amp service and have existed for years that way.

Chris

flybouy
09-14-2018, 06:03 AM
Inverters are not an efficient resolution as a power bank to supplement low amperage ac voltage conditions. I would think an Autoformer would be a better choice for short duration amperage spikes. Someone else may have a better solution but I would suggest doing your due diligence and research any advice given before laying out the considerable cash that is involved. And don't rely on anyone selling said devices for your research as their solution will automatically be the best. YMMV

Javi
09-14-2018, 06:29 AM
Inverters are not an efficient resolution as a power bank to supplement low amperage ac voltage conditions. I would think an Autoformer would be a better choice for short duration amperage spikes. Someone else may have a better solution but I would suggest doing your due diligence and research any advice given before laying out the considerable cash that is involved. And don't rely on anyone selling said devices for your research as their solution will automatically be the best. YMMV
Do.... what? :D

AbHDToyHauler
09-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Wife and I have spent a few weeks in western Montana using only 30 amp power and barely noticed. Mind you we didn't run both ac units but one is in garage and we had big ramp door open and screen pulled down. We also don't have the big residential fridge which i am sure sucks plenty of power. We also use our built in Progressive power monitor and i am checking the load as things come on line. We didn't blow any breakers. I would say do what moves your soul. Sounds like a beautiful place. Do they up charge just for the power and if so , can you add the extra power if it gets to where you aren't satisfied with 30 amp?

Snoking
09-14-2018, 06:37 AM

I hope you did not think I was advocating a solution with what I posted! What I posted I believe was what the OP was talking about and I tried to show the short coming for that as a solution to his supposed problem.

The fact is that if he can get by with using only one AC at a time, then learning to manage which devices that can not be used at the same time, would allow his wife to enjoy her summer at the cape. Chris

flybouy
09-14-2018, 06:53 AM
I hope you did not think I was advocating a solution with what I posted! What I posted I believe was what the OP was talking about and I tried to show the short coming for that as a solution to his supposed problem.

The fact is that if he can get by with using only one AC at a time, then learning to manage which devices that can not be used at the same time, would allow his wife to enjoy her summer at the cape. Chris

Absolutely not, I was just offering a possible solution not yet mentioned. The inverter is a great solution for dry camping if sufficient battery banks and a method to recharge are them is available. I obviously didn't explain myself well as Javi has a question as well.

flybouy
09-14-2018, 06:55 AM
Do.... what? :D

Hu? What?:lol:

hankaye
09-16-2018, 04:06 PM
rogermack50, Howdy;

Earlier today I responded to another question that could also apply to your
original question. Here's the link;
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=307663#post307663

As a qualifier, allow me to add, I know very little about electricity, I can spell it
and I can use & pay for it. All I know about how well this 30A system works for
me is pretty much in the link. Take from it what you will.

hank

flybouy
09-16-2018, 05:06 PM
flybouy, Howdy;

Earlier today I responded to another question that could also apply to your
original question. Here's the link;
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=307663#post307663

As a qualifier, allow me to add, I know very little about electricity, I can spell it
and I can use & pay for it. All I know about how well this 30A system works for
me is pretty much in the link. Take from it what you will.

hank

I didn't have a question on this post. I read your post on the link and sounds pretty much like what I do. No oxygenator but after things are up and running I just switch the air conditioner (15K btu) to fan only while running the microwave and switch it back to cool when finished.

hankaye
09-16-2018, 06:14 PM
flybouy, Howdy;

Yup, I got the threads mixed, rather the OP's mixed up.
Yea, I just flip off the A/C part keep fan running ... keeps air moving YEA!

hank

PS, Need to go re-address that post to the correct OP.

laurien55
10-21-2018, 07:55 AM
Rhode Island is also a cheaper option..but I love the Cape! Have an older (2003 Montana 31') that I need to upgrade due to needing more room..like that plug in option as I like my spot (30 amps).but aren't all newer campers 50 amps?

rogermack50
10-21-2018, 09:53 AM
Thanks Laurin for the reply...I'm new to Rving so I'm not sure about whether all new RV's are 50 Amp. In the other note, I decided against having to deal with the 30 Amp over a entire summer and found a Seasonal at the Old Orchard Beach Resort in Maine for less money. Besides the Beach, there is so much to do there, Golf course right next door, and a fun area when the grand kids visit..But Yes, a more congested area compared to the Cape. I don't know much about the RI camp areas as I've only drove through it 100 times but always on I-95 on the way to somewhere else.

chuckster57
10-21-2018, 10:43 AM
Not all new RVs are 50A. Units that have a fireplace and/or wired for optional 2nd A/C will be 50A.

rogermack50
10-21-2018, 11:04 AM
I have both a Fireplace and a active 2nd AC in Bedroom...and 50 Amp....Good to knw for future 5th wheeler's Chuckster..