PDA

View Full Version : Picked up from dealership today

Sinton4616
09-08-2018, 04:17 PM
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1037&pictureid=5786

Picked her up this morning. 2018 Keystone Avalanche 321RS. Had a fun time backing into the back yard today. Not because it was difficult, actually found it easier to backup than my old TT, but because we had almost 5 inches of rain in the last four days. Little softer than I thought it would be.:) I'll fill the ruts tomorrow, had to cut the grass today.

Now to start outfitting the FW for our first outing mid October. Almost have to start all over again after 3/4 of our camping supplies were destroyed because of Hurricane Harvey.

chuckster57
09-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Congrats! That’s a beautiful rig!

Tbos
09-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Welcome to the forum. That is a real nice looking set up. Enjoy

JimQ
09-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Congrats on the new Avalanche! Awesome setup! Best of luck with it!

Bingo 57
09-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Nice ! Nice ! Hope you enjoy it.

Javi
09-08-2018, 05:18 PM
Congratulations, enjoy.

5J's
09-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Congrats, nice looking set up.

DocP
09-09-2018, 02:26 AM
Wow. That's really nice. Enjoy!

theasphaltrv'er
09-09-2018, 03:59 AM
Awesome setup. Harvey get your truck to/also?

Sinton4616
09-09-2018, 04:42 AM
Awesome setup. Harvey get your truck to/also?

No. After we realized the TT was toast, we knew we were going to get a FW. So, we started looking around to trade in the F250 for a F350 SRW. When we were at the dealership "negotiating with the terrorists" that I've done business with for years now, couldn't get the deal we wanted on the SRW. They wouldn't come down enough. Surprisingly, they could do it on the DRW due to not being one of their "best sellers" and "some incentives" to the dealership on the back side. So we ended up with a dually and after towing the FW home yesterday, not regretting it at all.

I've yet to weigh the truck or FW, but plugging numbers into the online calculator based on truck's payload sticker, 1,200 lbs for myself, DW, dog and hitch, then using the full 25% of FW GVWR, I still come up with 1,500 lbs to spare. I'm planning on weighing the entire setup, but not this month. Work schedule and prior commitments making it difficult. Plus need to outfit the FW first. Will also tape measure the height, so I know exactly what I'm at.

Javi
09-09-2018, 07:26 AM
No. After we realized the TT was toast, we knew we were going to get a FW. So, we started looking around to trade in the F250 for a F350 SRW. When we were at the dealership "negotiating with the terrorists" that I've done business with for years now, couldn't get the deal we wanted on the SRW. They wouldn't come down enough. Surprisingly, they could do it on the DRW due to not being one of their "best sellers" and "some incentives" to the dealership on the back side. So we ended up with a dually and after towing the FW home yesterday, not regretting it at all.

I've yet to weigh the truck or FW, but plugging numbers into the online calculator based on truck's payload sticker, 1,200 lbs for myself, DW, dog and hitch, then using the full 25% of FW GVWR, I still come up with 1,500 lbs to spare. I'm planning on weighing the entire setup, but not this month. Work schedule and prior commitments making it difficult. Plus need to outfit the FW first. Will also tape measure the height, so I know exactly what I'm at.

Also make sure that the dealer registered your truck for the appropriate weight.. Many are bad about registering a dually as 2000 pound load.. Mine was as were several others I know of including a couple on this forum.

Also, you need a Class A Non-CDL if you don't already has the license.

Sinton4616
09-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Also make sure that the dealer registered your truck for the appropriate weight.. Many are bad about registering a dually as 2000 pound load.. Mine was as were several others I know of including a couple on this forum.

Also, you need a Class A Non-CDL if you don't already has the license.

I've been following the other thread and no, it's not. We've got one trip planned this year (2 1/2 hours one way) and will winterize it afterwards. Come March I'll register it correctly and start to get my Class A Exempt.

John&Genny
09-15-2018, 11:24 PM
Very nice rig! We have the 320RS which is almost the same except with the Norcold Propane/Electric refer instead of the residential. We love ours so far with only a few minor issues like the cheap MCD shades and strobbing LED ceiling lights. Just about ready to put the Avalanche in storage for the winter but sad to do so. I sure wish the DW was retired :)

Sinton4616
09-16-2018, 02:23 AM
Very nice rig! We have the 320RS which is almost the same except with the Norcold Propane/Electric refer instead of the residential. We love ours so far with only a few minor issues like the cheap MCD shades and strobbing LED ceiling lights. Just about ready to put the Avalanche in storage for the winter but sad to do so. I sure wish the DW was retired :)

Been raining all week along the Texas coast, going to be fun getting it out of the back yard anytime soon. Hope to be able to take it out in October, heading up to Fredericksburg, TX for a couple of days. If we can get another trip in after Thanksgiving, will hold off winterizing until then.

Question: how tall is your rig when hitched up? Do you have the second AC and are you concerned with height?

wiredgeorge
09-16-2018, 03:36 AM
The height issue was beat to death in another thread. An older gentleman whose health didn't allow ask the dealer for the height of his truck and was given some less than perfect numbers. He finally had a way to actually measure and found he was OK with the height. I think the concensus is 13'6" is a legal limit so best measure if unsure. I would think doing the measure when hooked up to the TW would be the best idea.

xrated
09-16-2018, 04:03 AM

Very nice rig....it's beautiful, I like it. And in regard to the bolded and unlined portion that I quoted .......Check out my signature line.

Sinton4616
09-16-2018, 04:07 AM
I would think doing the measure when hooked up to the TW would be the best idea.
Yes. Will measure when I get the chance to next month. Ground is too soft now to hitch up and take a swag at it.

Will take my step ladder and 6 foot level in a large parking lot that's fairly level.

Tinner12002
09-16-2018, 04:59 AM
Good looking setup!

Fishsizzle
09-16-2018, 06:20 AM
Congrats, jelly over the Dually

Versatile
09-16-2018, 07:31 AM
Beautiful looking unit!!

John&Genny
09-16-2018, 07:57 AM
Been raining all week along the Texas coast, going to be fun getting it out of the back yard anytime soon. Hope to be able to take it out in October, heading up to Fredericksburg, TX for a couple of days. If we can get another trip in after Thanksgiving, will hold off winterizing until then.

Question: how tall is your rig when hitched up? Do you have the second AC and are you concerned with height?

We live in Washington State so unfortunately our camping season is a bit shorter. When the DW retires, we plan on heading south for a couple months so that we can enjoy camping a bit more.

I’ve never measured the height, but I know it’s listed as 13’ 2”. Lets just say we both are looking for the height signs when we come up to a overpass :) Next time I have the rig hooked up I’ll get out the laser measuring device and see what it is down to the ground and then add the AC cowling height.

We have both AC’s, one in the living room and the other in the bedroom. To be honest, I can’t imagine trying to cool this rig without both AC’s, especially in Texas. The one nice thing about the 320/321 is all the lovely windows. And with that, all the light they can let in to heat things up :) On the hotter days, we usually have to turn on the AC units early and pull the shades down as the sun moves around the rig. There is a thead on the forum called Amazing A/C Airflow Improvements (http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25849&highlight=Amazing) where we made some mods like taping the ducts so that air doesn’t escape into the ceiling space and enlarging the vents. Only after doing those things could we keep the rig at a reasonable temp. It seems like across the board, no matter which rig you buy, they suffer with poor A/C ducting.

GlennB724
09-17-2018, 07:58 AM
Congrats on your new 5er. I've got a '17 Keystone Alpine 3401RS. Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. Put together a good complete tool kit, and a bunch of small parts in a wide variety of sizes, (screws, nuts and bolts, washers, etc.) I hope you're luckier than me, but you'll likely find all KINDS of stuff will break, fall apart, etc. etc. Usually something you NEVER would have guessed. Try to keep a good sense of humor and be flexible. HAPPY SAFE TRAVELS!

Sinton4616
09-17-2018, 08:48 AM
To be honest, I can’t imagine trying to cool this rig without both AC’s, especially in Texas.

There is a thead on the forum called Amazing A/C Airflow Improvements (http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25849&highlight=Amazing) where we made some mods like taping the ducts so that air doesn’t escape into the ceiling space and enlarging the vents.

Thank you. I plan on measuring when next time I get the chance to take her out.

For the air flow, will check this weekend. When we did our PDI, it was cold in the FW when it was 92 outside. Much nicer than when we had a single AC on a 32FT TT. But as you pointed out, Texas is hot. Better to check and make sure we stay comfortable than find out in the heat of next summer.

travelin texans
09-17-2018, 09:28 AM
I’ve never measured the height, but I know it’s listed as 13’ 2”. Lets just say we both are looking for the height signs when we come up to a overpass :)

Not sure about other states, but inTexas you won't normally see overpass heights posted unless it's less than 13'6".

Javi
09-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Not sure about other states, but inTexas you won't normally see overpass heights posted unless it's less than 13'6".Not true since they raised the height limit to 14 feet.

JRTJH
09-17-2018, 11:11 AM
If it's not marked, I'd wonder if it's included in the contract to remark them next fiscal year, but they went ahead and cleaned up all the old markings to make things go faster....

If it is marked, I'd wonder if the measurement was before or after the recent 4" of asphalt was added to overlay the cracked concrete......

I'm sure (at least I hope) that it's not quite that critical, but ...... :facepalm:

TomD1
09-17-2018, 02:02 PM
Great looking setup, have fun!!!

Javi
09-17-2018, 02:18 PM
If it's not marked, I'd wonder if it's included in the contract to remark them next fiscal year, but they went ahead and cleaned up all the old markings to make things go faster....

If it is marked, I'd wonder if the measurement was before or after the recent 4" of asphalt was added to overlay the cracked concrete......

I'm sure (at least I hope) that it's not quite that critical, but ...... :facepalm:I can vouch for one overpass on US 77.. it says 13' 8" and I was in the 13' 6" truck that scraped.. my trailer is 13' 8" because the front A/C is not a low profile... I detour around it..

My personal limit is 14'

Barseven
09-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Congrats! We also have a 321RS. Got it this past spring and love it. Biggest issue we’ve had so far was the A/C vent airflow restriction but we found great info on here on blocking off the Dead space in the air ducts. Worked great! We also changed out the vent covers as they were too restrictive and didn’t allow enough airflow. We got replacements off Amazon that open/close and are directional. The height of FW with the 2 A/C’s on the TV is 13’6. We went under a bridge just outside of Rockdale, TX with a marked height of 13’9 and cleared it. One blind in the LR kept falling so we called the Mfgr and they sent replacement metal brackets.

Javi
09-18-2018, 03:44 AM
Congrats! We also have a 321RS. Got it this past spring and love it. Biggest issue we’ve had so far was the A/C vent airflow restriction but we found great info on here on blocking off the Dead space in the air ducts. Worked great! We also changed out the vent covers as they were too restrictive and didn’t allow enough airflow. We got replacements off Amazon that open/close and are directional. The height of FW with the 2 A/C’s on the TV is 13’6. We went under a bridge just outside of Rockdale, TX with a marked height of 13’9 and cleared it. One blind in the LR kept falling so we called the Mfgr and they sent replacement metal brackets.

Watch out for the one at Schulenburg on 77... It's marked 13' 8" but they've paved the road since then.. easy to detour around.. take loop 222

5J's
09-18-2018, 06:31 AM
Watch out for the one at Schulenburg on 77... It's marked 13' 8" but they've paved the road since then.. easy to detour around.. take loop 222Yep. I travel through there practically on a weekly basis and when I'm behind a semi I back way off.

Auggie Waterman
09-19-2018, 10:41 AM
Awesome fun machine!