PDA

View Full Version : So Much For Irish Spring Soap

NJdudette
09-08-2018, 09:19 AM
I’m on my third RV and have been doing this for 10+ years. I’ve had mice in my RV from time to time, but it’s never been this bad - my trailer is infested with them. I’m a little nervous heading into the cold weather because many more will be looking for a home to keep warm. I've tried many things over the years and have had moderate success. Thought I’d give the dryer sheets and Irish Spring soap a try since so many swear by it and I’m hear to tell you it doesn’t work. As a matter of fact they chewed on the soap and I’m sure they’re now pooping bubbles.

Javi
09-08-2018, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I always laugh when I read the post recommending Irish Spring soap for pest control... Back when Irish Spring soap first came on the market we lived in an old farm house built well before electricity reached rural Texas.. We were used to mice running through the house, you can't live in a drafty old house in the middle of 640 acres of farm land without getting used to them :D

The DW thought that the soap smelled good so she bought a couple and brought them home and put the extra bar in the cupboard... Sometime later I went looking for another bar of that soap... looked in the cupboard and the wrapper on the bar was more than half gone and a good bit of the bar was chewed...

JRTJH
09-08-2018, 09:54 AM
I've never had "adequate control of mice" with anything but Fresh Cab.

Don't buy it at this link (unless you want to pay more than it costs locally) but you can see the photos and get information at the link: https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Botanical-Repellent-Pouches/dp/B07CNR241T/ref=pd_sim_86_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07CNR241T&pd_rd_r=ac1bd3d2-b38f-11e8-8e51-357518f34f72&pd_rd_w=yyw2Q&pd_rd_wg=tPdMF&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=GE8K0DPV7W0WT0Y5Z95H&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=GE8K0DPV7W0WT0Y5Z95H

We live in a "they love our pole barn" area adjacent to 30,000+ acres of forest. Mice abound, I've never <knock on wood> had a mouse in our RV in the 10 years we've stored it here during the winter. YMMV

As for using Irish Spring.... Since the British Isles are no longer a part of the EU.... Maybe your mice are from the continent, not England ???? Hmmmmmm

NJdudette
09-08-2018, 09:58 AM
I have used this with some success, but now that the mice seem to be so bad, it's not helping (I'm using a combination of CAB, dryer sheets & Irish Spring soap). Ugh, it's so gross. Maybe I'll buy more of the CAB, but if that doesn't work, I'm setting traps.

JRTJH
09-08-2018, 10:13 AM
There is a synthetic coyote/fox urine spray that's available. I use it around the perimeter of the pole barn to keep them out of the barn and Fresh Cab inside the trailer to keep them from entering the RV. Together, they seem to work. Look around and see if you can find the synthetic coyote spray... DON'T USE IT INSIDE THE RV !!!!! That is, unless you like the smell of a cat litter box !!!!!

JimMach1
09-08-2018, 10:33 AM

Don't buy it at this link (unless you want to pay more than it costs locally) but you can see the photos and get information at the link: https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Botanical-Repellent-Pouches/dp/B07CNR241T/ref=pd_sim_86_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07CNR241T&pd_rd_r=ac1bd3d2-b38f-11e8-8e51-357518f34f72&pd_rd_w=yyw2Q&pd_rd_wg=tPdMF&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=GE8K0DPV7W0WT0Y5Z95H&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=GE8K0DPV7W0WT0Y5Z95H

We live in a "they love our pole barn" area adjacent to 30,000+ acres of forest. Mice abound, I've never <knock on wood> had a mouse in our RV in the 10 years we've stored it here during the winter. YMMV

As for using Irish Spring.... Since the British Isles are no longer a part of the EU.... Maybe your mice are from the continent, not England ???? Hmmmmmm
Same thing we use. It works here.

JimMach1
09-08-2018, 10:35 AM
I have used this with some success, but now that the mice seem to be so bad, it's not helping (I'm using a combination of CAB, dryer sheets & Irish Spring soap). Ugh, it's so gross. Maybe I'll buy more of the CAB, but if that doesn't work, I'm setting traps.
If I remember right it is only good for 1-2 months so cab fresh needs changed out during winter months.

JRTJH
09-08-2018, 10:53 AM
If I remember right it is only good for 1-2 months so cab fresh needs changed out during winter months.

Yup.... It does need to be "changed out" after about 6-8 weeks. I don't change it out, I start with one pouch on a paper plate in 4 or 5 areas of the trailer and mid winter I'll just put another pouch on each plate. The "old stuff" may/may not still be effective, but why throw it away, it's not taking up any space that would be used for something else so I just leave it and add more. In the spring, it all gets "shaked out of the bags" around the outside of the pole barn and I start fresh in the fall.....

I use it under the hood of my Mustang, under the engine cowl of all my power equipment, in the RZR cab, storage area and on the engine and on the boat under the cover, on the decks and inside the engine cowl.

flybouy
09-08-2018, 10:33 PM
I've used Irish Spring for years and I can honestly say it has worked well for me. I feel fresh and no one considers my odor offensive. Can't give testament to how well it deters rodents other than haven't had one on me yet. :lol:

RobSwaney
09-09-2018, 05:08 AM
if using Irish spring needs to be grated and original scent. dryer sheets use bounce original. also remove all food use a disinfectant in cupboards where you store coffee and sugar. do not store things like barbeque in trailer. store slides in trailer areas like where electrical cable go in trailer stuff with steel wool. around tires I put Lime rock. has worked for years.

flybouy
09-09-2018, 06:46 AM
I have to agree with this article. http://www.wildlife-removal.com/mouserepellent.html

Fishsizzle
09-09-2018, 07:03 AM
I just read l, I think in Trailer life, that mice hate light. Therefor people are now plugging in led rope lights into their trailers during storage and it keeps the mice away? Anyone try this?

Javi
09-09-2018, 07:20 AM
Best deterrent for mice is several hungry cats... :D

JRTJH
09-09-2018, 07:59 AM

The old "Tom and Jerry" routine ???? "That's All Folks" :popcorn:

flybouy
09-09-2018, 02:22 PM

Or a hungry snake.

travelin texans
09-09-2018, 02:48 PM
if using Irish spring needs to be grated and original scent. .

They prefer to shower with with bars more their size.

captcolour
09-09-2018, 03:40 PM
I use the wheel of death in the pole barn. Would put one in the 5th wheel if we had a problem there.

labman
09-09-2018, 03:59 PM
I have had luck with bonide mouse magic

KCSA75
09-09-2018, 04:47 PM

Count me as a member of the Fresh Cab fan club. It was recommended to us when we bought the pop-up a few years ago. We never leave any food in the camper which helps but we have never found so much as a dead bug.

I was concerned last fall when Fresh Cab was temporarily off the market so we had to use "Stay Away." It's made by the same company but the reviews were mixed. We put four packets in the Cougar when we put it up for the winter and hoped for the best. When we opened it for the first time in April, the scent was still very much present and no sign of mice or anything else.

One other thing, we've never replaced the packets in the middle of winter and scent is still there come spring.

itat
09-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Based on all the accounts online of what works and what doesn’t, I’m convinced that different mice are repelled by different things.

I use a combination of Fresh Cab and Essential Oil of Peppermint (not food grade peppermint). I put 4 pouches of Fresh Cab around our TT and I put cotton balls in ceramic mugs and soak them with the Essential Oil of Peppermint.

I also leave open all the lower drawers and cabinets that they can get into from behind through the holes where wire and plumbing goes from one cabinet to the adjacent cabinet. I’ve also read that they don’t like light so leaving the doors open lets light into those spaces. We have several higher cabinets that they can’t access with the doors closed so I leave them closed.

Once they are in your RV you’ll need to trap them. It’s a bit of a Catch 22 because you want to attract them to the trap but you don’t want to attract new mice into your trailer. Do not use poison because they will either die somewhere that you can’t get the body and they’ll rot and stink horribly, or they’ll get out and be eaten by a predator and that poison will kill that animal.

JeLo
09-10-2018, 01:36 AM
Anyone know where to get fresh cab in Canada?

JL

itat
09-10-2018, 03:21 AM
I’ve gotten it in a 4-pack box at Campkins RV Centre just north of Whitby, ON. I don’t know if they would ship it to Ottawa but if you’re in the Toronto area you could stop in and pick some up.

It’s ridiculously expensive for shipping on Amazon.ca but if you go to the US you can order it much more reasonably priced off Amazon.com or order a 12-pack (https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07CNR241T/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new) and have it shipped to Ottawa. They also sell it in a 24-pack. You’re supposed to put out new pouches every couple of months, so a 24-pack would be good for a full year, but I’d get a 4-pack or a 12-pack first to see if it works for you.

JeLo
09-11-2018, 01:47 AM
I’ve gotten it in a 4-pack box at Campkins RV Centre just north of Whitby, ON. I don’t know if they would ship it to Ottawa but if you’re in the Toronto area you could stop in and pick some up.

It’s ridiculously expensive for shipping on Amazon.ca but if you go to the US you can order it much more reasonably priced off Amazon.com or order a 12-pack (https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07CNR241T/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new) and have it shipped to Ottawa. They also sell it in a 24-pack. You’re supposed to put out new pouches every couple of months, so a 24-pack would be good for a full year, but I’d get a 4-pack or a 12-pack first to see if it works for you.

Thanks for the info, how much did you pay for a 4 pack?

itat
09-11-2018, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the info, how much did you pay for a 4 pack?

Sorry, I don’t remember exactly how much it was. I think it was in the $30 range? Give them a call at Campkins to see if they have it in stock.

LuvsPalmTrees
09-19-2018, 01:42 PM
So, I had to laugh. My Sister-In-Law tagged me in a Facebook post. Use "Irish Spring Soap" to repel mice. I thought of this post and laughed. I did not say anything because a lot of people are replying "thanks for the tip". Oh well - the Irish Spring people will be happy.

sourdough
09-19-2018, 02:00 PM
"One other thing, we've never replaced the packets in the middle of winter and scent is still there come spring."

We've had excellent results with Fresh Cab as well and don't replace them during winter. I even use them in/on my Jeep that sits in a carport in the mountains with success.

slow
09-19-2018, 03:53 PM
Anyone know where to get fresh cab in Canada?

JL

This is where I purchased mine a few weeks ago. Shipping was quick.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282959113098?ViewItem=&item=282959113098&ppid=PPX000608&cnac=CA&rsta=en_CA(en_CA)&cust=2XG36647VC543800E&unptid=c7f8c6f6-af83-11e8-85f8-441ea1475d84&t=&cal=31ef10b619ff1&calc=31ef10b619ff1&calf=31ef10b619ff1&unp_tpcid=email-receipt-auction-payment&page=main:email&pgrp=main:email&e=op&mchn=em&s=ci&mail=sys

itat
09-21-2018, 08:01 PM
This is where I purchased mine a few weeks ago. Shipping was quick.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282959113098?ViewItem=&item=282959113098&ppid=PPX000608&cnac=CA&rsta=en_CA(en_CA)&cust=2XG36647VC543800E&unptid=c7f8c6f6-af83-11e8-85f8-441ea1475d84&t=&cal=31ef10b619ff1&calc=31ef10b619ff1&calf=31ef10b619ff1&unp_tpcid=email-receipt-auction-payment&page=main:email&pgrp=main:email&e=op&mchn=em&s=ci&mail=sys

Thanks for the link. This morning I checked with Campkins where I had always bought it in the past, and they told me that they can no longer get it in Canada. So I ordered a couple boxes from that eBay seller. They are in Knoxville, IA

So now we have to get both Fresh Cab and Calgon water softener from the U.S. Disappointing.

C.LeeNick
09-22-2018, 04:15 AM
Here in the U.S. we can get Fresh Cab through Tractor Supply stores. I see there are TSC Country stores in Ontario that appear to be affiliated in some way. Perhaps they can get it for you?

One thing is for certain: DON'T use deer repellent to try to keep rodents away. I tried it once because it was on clearance...and it seemed to be a rodent ATTRACTANT. In several places where I'd set up the little scent bottles at our off-the-grid backcountry place, the mice actually knocked them over and appeared to drink the liquid. Live and learn. :lol: