PDA

View Full Version : Slide Out Supports?

Mick 1836
09-06-2018, 11:59 AM
My initial question is at what point should you fit slide out supports under a slide out?

This point came to mind after a new 5th Wheeler ( Not a Keystone) came onto our site here in Spain and I noted that one of the 4 slide outs had supports beneath, it was only today after stopping to take the attached picture did I see the the slide out was a 'Double One' hence the support required?

How common are these double slide outs? I would imagine it would be a right pain having to put those supports in place every time you move to a new site and extend that slide out.

However I recall when in the States in 2007 seeing in various RV catalogues slide out supports so on a 'normal' American motorhome or 5th wheeler with slide outs why would you have to fit supports?

bob91yj
09-06-2018, 12:36 PM
I've read NOT to use the slide supports, I want to say I saw it in my owners manual.

I've never seen a double slide like the one in the picture.

I did a quick search and found this...

https://terrytownrv.com/blog/do-rv-slides-need-support-when-extended/

travelin texans
09-06-2018, 01:33 PM
Easy answer, NEVER!!!
If the rv settles, tire looses air or anything that moves the rv & BOOM slide is damaged.
IMHO if the manufacturer had intended the slides to be supported they should be built with or provided with the rv.

Pull Toy
09-06-2018, 01:56 PM
^^^ PLUS ONE ^^^ Just don't put the trampoline here! LOL

Good Luck,

chuckster57
09-06-2018, 02:01 PM
Back when the slide was manual, and I mean with handles you pulled, supports were needed. Any “modern” slide system is built to support the weight of the slide in the extended position.

Tbos
09-06-2018, 03:28 PM
The only double slides I’ve seen have been in bedrooms with closets on 5th wheels. They have always been too high for anyone to use a support if they had one. The small closet slide is usually only 12” or so deep.

bobbecky
09-06-2018, 09:53 PM
Saw a double slide like that last year on a high end motorhome. Not sure it really adds that much extra space, and don't think supports would be needed with it.

travelin texans
09-07-2018, 07:10 AM
The Redwood line of 5ers has the slide in a slide that's the bed, makes the bedroom very roomy. To support it would require 10 to 12' tall supports.

Mick 1836
09-10-2018, 06:53 AM
Further update since my OP, this 5th wheeler is a Heartland Sundance, and as well as the double slide out on the right side and the rear slide out there are two further slide outs on the left side.

Not sure when the owner will return but what I find odd is that model doesn't appear to be listed on the Heartlands web site? Perhaps it's so new they haven't had time to list it?

logspec1
09-20-2018, 09:11 AM
I have a Rockwood 8329SS and use the supports on the 2 back slides. They certainly cut down on the movement added by the weight being out so far from the stabilizer jacks. My trailer, my choice

logspec1
09-20-2018, 09:12 AM
I have a Rockwood 8329SS and use the supports on the 2 back slides. They certainly cut down on the movement added by the weight being out so far from the stabilizers jacks. My trailer, my choice

LeePollard
06-23-2019, 07:41 AM
Replacing the loveseat with heavier theater seating do want to add some support underneath.

Is there a specific spot underneath that gives the supports the most functionality?