PDA

View Full Version : CATV Issues

gregm2k
09-04-2018, 05:13 PM
We have a 2017 Cougar 5ver (327RLK) and have issues getting cable signal to the main tv in the coach. The tv in the bedroom (connected to the Winegard amp) works fine but I am not getting a signal in the living area.
- Have checked all visible connections and they appear tight.
- currently in an area with no OTA signal but that has worked well previously on all connections. This makes me think the cable from the amp to the main tv is ok.
- ran cable direct to main tv and I get signal/channels.

I suspect there is a splitter somewhere after the amp but cannot find it to check this connection. Also suspect the Winegard amp may be faulty but don’t know how to test or check it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

—Greg

Tbos
09-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Amp should be off when using CG cable. I have the opposite issue. Mine works well on cable but gets fewer channels OTA than the bedroom.

Snoking
09-04-2018, 05:29 PM
The splitter is built into the power panel in the bedroom. Have you looked at the cables on the back side if it. I will have three connections. 1. The roof antenna. 2. The Cable input. 3. The signal to the second TV.

Here is a link that has a picture of the back. Antenna is on the left, cable right of middle, and 2nd TV on the right.

https://www.amazon.com/King-Controls-PB1001-Antenna-Injector/dp/B005F32VMC

Chris

gregm2k
09-04-2018, 05:45 PM
Tbos - yup, amp is off for cable. Has always been weak in the main area but now is dead.

Snoking- we have the Winegard version. Similar connections tho. You got me thinking...since I know the front connection works on the Winegard, will try to patch from this connection to the cable running to the main tv. May help!

— Greg

Snoking
09-04-2018, 05:48 PM
A guy can never have to many pieces of coax to hook up things and do test. Chris

K_N_L
09-04-2018, 06:21 PM
Not sure which antenna your unit has, I just got my booster replaced due to poor CATV but good OTA signals, believe the on/off switch was failing, Btw if it doesnt say Winegard on the plate, it's prolly made by Continu.us. In any case, found that all the connections at the booster were loose and needed tightening as well.

ChuckS
09-05-2018, 05:27 AM
I’d remove the OTA amp fr9m the wall and usually stuffed down inside wall is a splitter.. I’d check F connector on coax going from that splitter to main TV

flybouy
09-05-2018, 06:00 AM
I’d remove the OTA amp fr9m the wall and usually stuffed down inside wall is a splitter.. I’d check F connector on coax going from that splitter to main TV

Sound advice. From your post I assume you have changed the tv to cable and done the ch search as you said it worked before. If it worked before this trip and not now leads me to think it's one of two possibilities. Either a connection has vibrated loose on the road or something has chewed thru the cable. Hope you find a loose f connector. :)

rick-eureka
09-05-2018, 07:27 AM
I was having same problems. Have a friend who works for satellite company. He replaced all coax. said stuff used at factory was very cheap and didn't make right corrections. Have had no problems since.

Snoking
09-05-2018, 08:00 AM
HDTV requires quad shielding and the correct connectors installed correctly, and connectors tighten firmly. Chris

gregm2k
09-05-2018, 08:02 AM

Thanks! My connections are in the ceiling and I’m having a hell of a time trying to fish out that splitter.

gregm2k
09-05-2018, 02:47 PM
Found the problem. Fished out the splitter and the main tv cable is totally missing. Now the issue is finding the missing end up in the ceiling. Can’t feel it with my fingers. Ugh! May have to call an expert with a camera to find it.
Sh**! Aren’t RVs fun!

— Greg

flybouy
09-05-2018, 04:39 PM
`You can get inspection cameras that use your cell phone for $20. Comes in handy for lots of stuff.

BAK
09-06-2018, 06:24 AM
I was having the same issue so this weekend I spent the day troubleshooting the wiring. What I found with my 25RES was that they had tied the stereo antenna input into the coax cable run using some type of antenna to coax adapter cable and a splitter. Once I pulled that adapter cable and the splitter out of the cable run the static on my main tv was gone and the picture was similar to the bedroom tv now.

markjamestx
09-13-2018, 01:33 PM
I had to install a separate satellite connection for the main TV only. The "one" connection we have is for cable and digital antenna only with a switch to go from one to the other.

wiredgeorge
09-13-2018, 02:03 PM
The OTA and CATV cables are RG-59 and won't convey satellite TV signals. You need RG-6 for that. Also, if you go into an autoparts store, you can buy a small inspection mirror which is a small round mirror that sits on a telescoping stalk and these are good for looking up into the ceiling void. Just stick a small flashlight in there and you can see what there is to see pretty decently. They are cheaper than cameras.

Snoking
09-13-2018, 02:35 PM
The OTA and CATV cables are RG-59 and won't convey satellite TV signals. You need RG-6 for that. Also, if you go into an autoparts store, you can buy a small inspection mirror which is a small round mirror that sits on a telescoping stalk and these are good for looking up into the ceiling void. Just stick a small flashlight in there and you can see what there is to see pretty decently. They are cheaper than cameras.

Both RG-59 and RG-6 are the same impedance of 75 ohms. RG-6 has a more robust shielding. HD TV signals use to call for quad shielded RG-6.

However: "There are "quad shielded" cables that have an extra layer of foil and braid shielding and can offer better protection. However, newer coaxial cables can use a 95% braid to perform better without the extra bulk and weight of quad shielded cables."

"The first obvious difference between RG59 and RG6 is the diameter of the cables themselves. Standard RG59 coax has a 20 AWG copper center conductor and RG6 coax has an larger 18 AWG copper center conductor, offering higher bandwidth and longer distance capability."

"RG6 cable is heavier gauge and has insulation and shielding tuned for high-bandwidth, high-frequency applications such as Internet, Cable TV, and Satellite TV signals. If you aren’t sure which cable to get, then RG6 cable is your best bet."

"RG59 cable is thinner and is recommended in low bandwidth and lower frequency applications such as analog video and CCTV installations"

https://sewelldirect.imgix.net/gallery/Rg59vsrg6.png

n4qpcham
09-14-2018, 07:50 AM
I had a problem with the antenna amp/switch box myself on my previous TT. When turning the antenna amp off to use cable, I still had interference from the amp. My dealer installed a small on/off flip switch on the plate to kill the 12V power to the amp. solved the problem. On my 2014 High Country 5'er, there is no sat TV jack, only cable jack. Attached is a file I got from Keystone many moons ago:

flybouy
09-14-2018, 08:07 AM
I had a problem with the antenna amp/switch box myself on my previous TT. When turning the antenna amp off to use cable, I still had interference from the amp. My dealer installed a small on/off flip switch on the plate to kill the 12V power to the amp. solved the problem. On my 2014 High Country 5'er, there is no sat TV jack, only cable jack. Attached is a file I got from Keystone many moons ago:

Did you upload the pdf? When I try to open it my computer looks to my hard drive for the file.

Snoking
09-21-2018, 08:03 PM
Well we are on our shakedown trip for two days.

Problems

1. Friends outlet at corner on his garage is wired with reverse polarity. EMS would not switch on.
2. Turn on the bedroom TV and LR TV goes screwy. Tightened all three loose coax connectors on the back of the wall power supply. Removed the splitter in the wall that goes a third TV output somewhere or maybe the stereo antenna input. However you would think that the splitter would be near the LR TV - stereo.
3. Furnance it cutting on and off, and acting weird, like it has a loose connection or circuit breaker that is weak. I checked connections at batteries. Probably will pull the electric panel in the morning and check the connections.

Chris

Snoking
09-22-2018, 06:48 AM
Well I figured out that the dimmer that I installed on the six ceiling lights was messing up the T-stat. I have two others installed that are not effecting it. Project for another day. May start with a digital T-stat, as this Coleman Mach is not noted to be very good at holding a steady temp.

Snoking
09-22-2018, 10:23 AM
That splitter in the bedroom wall was feeding antenna to the DVD/stereo. Chris

Snoking
09-26-2018, 07:55 PM
Installed the Luxpro thermostat and redid the dimmer wiring and lights dimmer without messing with the furnace. Like that I can set the stat to bring the heat up in the morning on it's own. Chris