PDA

View Full Version : converter for 4 batts

Racebug
09-04-2018, 09:12 AM
I recently picked up 4 new 6volt batteries for next to free. If I install them in my toy hauler, will the stock converter be up to the task of charging them?

travelin texans
09-04-2018, 09:16 AM
If wired in series correctly your converter should work fine, 12 volts is 12 volts regardless of the number of batteries.

flybouy
09-04-2018, 09:24 AM
It should be fine but it will take longer to fully charge than one 12 v battery.

Racebug
09-04-2018, 10:23 AM
sounds good! I wasn't sure if that would put too big of a load on it.

sjturbo
09-08-2018, 06:06 AM
Some quick thoughts. Four 6V batteries require series/parallel connection, (I'm sure you knew that). It's important to know your power converters' charge profile and voltages. And equally important to know the batteries charge profile to insure your batteries reach full charge are not over charged.

travelin texans
09-08-2018, 07:43 AM
Some quick thoughts. Four 6V batteries require series/parallel connection, (I'm sure you knew that). It's important to know your power converters' charge profile and voltages. And equally important to know the batteries charge profile to insure your batteries reach full charge are not over charged.

I agree, if not connected correctly you could be 24 volts which would roast a lot of stuff. Doo your research!

travelin texans
09-08-2018, 07:44 AM

I agree, if not connected correctly you could be 24 volts which would roast a lot of stuff. Do your research!

flybouy
09-09-2018, 07:03 AM
Just one additional thought on this. Your converter will treat the 4 batteries as one large battery if properly wired to provide 12 VDC. Now with that being said, if 1 of those batteries starts to develop a problem and will only take a partial charge then the entire array will only charge to that capacity of the weakest battery. If not addressed it will shorten the life of the rest of the array. It's just like a multi cell flashlight, say 2 AA when one battery goes dead it doesn't work, and works/lasts better if both are replaced with new batteries at the same time. A hydrometer will be your best friend. If you don't have one get one and learn how to use. Cheap and simple.