PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Cougar xlite travel trailer turning radius

mrnovember69
07-29-2011, 04:01 AM
Just wondering if the new front cap affects the turning radius, any reviews on the new xlite's??

Thanks

bgilsrud
07-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Yes I had to go with a 18 inch shank! Hit the side of my truck with a 13 inch

bgilsrud
07-29-2011, 12:53 PM
You can pm me for more details! Pulled our new one lots of miles with the new set up works great! The road there was expensive. But worth it

NB99
08-02-2011, 03:24 AM
:o
Hello,

We are also owners of a new 2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS. I, too, learned that the new aerodynamic front end does give you less turning radius. We are completely new to hauling travel trailers, and promptly took a 3300+ kilometer round trip to try it out. Overall, we are very pleased with the unit. Specific to turning radius, we pulled off the highway into a town to get some gas and eat. We pulled into a parking lot and attempted to turn around. I should have known better, but against my better judgement, attempted the short radius turn. It wasn't long before I had the left front corner jack knifed into the upper rear panel of my Suburban. Fortunately, I was just crawling, so was able to stop immediately once I realized my folly. I was able to back out of the turn without causing further damage. I put a small dent in the Suburban's back panel, and left a barely visible indentation at the "pointed" edge of the aerodynamic front of the Cougar XLite. I was sick about it at the time, but have decided to leave the little warbunkle on the Suburban (for now) as a reminder of my graduation from the school of hard knocks.;)
For "regular" driving, though, I find the turning radius to not be much of an issue for us. The previous poster made a good point about a longer shank, though. I may have to look into that...Good luck.