PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, got Shingles

billsr
08-31-2018, 10:42 AM
Well, we were going to go camping over the Labor Day weekend, but I got a good dose of the Shingles.:eek:
Got the vaccine shot several years ago, but at the time it was only good for about 50% effective in preventing them. Went to the VA Clinic and Dr. confirmed I had Shingles and said she couldn't give me anything for them since I had them for close to a week. She did say if I needed some pain meds she would prescribe them for me, but Tylenol and Aleve seems to be working ok.
She also said after it clears up I should come back and get the newer vaccine, Shingrix, which is two injections between 2 and 6 months apart, and is about 90% effective in preventing them. She said it might take up to 2 months for them to clear up and go away. What a pain, literally.:(

bob91yj
08-31-2018, 10:54 AM
^^^^Yikes, that sucks!

Badbart56
08-31-2018, 11:16 AM
My father in law swears he cured his by soaking in Listerine.

ftrupe
08-31-2018, 05:13 PM
My wife and I were looking for Shingrix since I first read about it back in February. We contacted the manufacturer and it wasn't available yet. Kept calling local clinics and no one had it. Finally, in June, there was a sign in Stop & Shop that they had the vaccine. I gave them my insurance card and the pharmacist said I was covered, but they were out of it. Of course, a month ago, I was in the shower and felt a bit of a tingle on my side when washing with soap. The next day I had a very tiny rash so I visited the local walk-in office and sure enough, shingles. I caught it very early and went on antiviral medication and it didn't get too bad. But 4 weeks later, there is still some discomfort. Mg wife got the vaccine at CVS and as soon as I can, I will get it too. I highly recommend it; better ghan actually having shingles!!