PDA

View Full Version : Water tastes like "hose"

deer30084
08-31-2018, 04:41 AM
I own a 2018 Passport 2520RL. Thank you in advance for telling me to sanitize my system. I did that already and there was no change in the taste or smell of the water from the kitchen and bathroom faucets. I also use a blue water filter that I connect the hose to. My wife and I always bring bottled water to drink and for coffee because the water from the travel trailer faucets never tastes good. Oftentimes I go outside and get water straight from the campground faucet to drink, thus avoiding the hose taste. Any ideas? Sanitize again probably?:confused:

jsmith948
08-31-2018, 04:50 AM
Assuming that your FW tank, WH and trailer plumbing have been properly sanitized: Buy a new hose - make sure it is for potable water. When you break camp, make sure that you drain the water from the hose. Cap the ends when storing (or simply screw the ends together). You might also try connecting your filter downstream of the hose. The charcoal in the filter should remove the taste

Bisjoe
08-31-2018, 04:50 AM
What kind of hose? A typical garden hose will always cause the water to taste like hose. Ours is made specifically for RVs, NSF certified and is a harder plastic, not rubber, and it does not affect the taste or smell.

deer30084
08-31-2018, 07:43 AM
I use the white hose for RV use.

deer30084
08-31-2018, 07:47 AM
Assuming that your FW tank, WH and trailer plumbing have been properly sanitized: Buy a new hose - make sure it is for potable water. When you break camp, make sure that you drain the water from the hose. Cap the ends when storing (or simply screw the ends together). You might also try connecting your filter downstream of the hose. The charcoal in the filter should remove the taste
I do use the water filter downstream of the hose at the camper. Thanks for the tip of connecting the hose ends together during storage.

flybouy
08-31-2018, 09:05 AM
I've been using Never Kink RV hose for years, mine have a gold stripe but here's a similar one https://www.amazon.com/Apex-NeverKink-8612-50-Drinking-50-Foot/dp/B0001MII88/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535734188&sr=8-1&keywords=never+kink+rv+drinking+hose. They have a 5/8" I.D. for best flow. I think mine are now about 7 yrs old and never a taste of hose. I also use a 10" water filter mounted to the side of the camper so it filters everything leading up to the unit. Before connecting I will turn on the cg spigot briefly to flush. When clear, connect hose and flush that. Then connect filter and flush. After all of that runs clear, then connect to the city water in connection on the camper.

travelin texans
08-31-2018, 09:26 AM

If you use the hose regularly this might be OK! BUT if you're a weekender connecting the ends of the hose if it's not completely dry inside promotes mold growth. If you do this add a bit of bleach to the hose before connecting the ends, then rinse thourghly before connecting to the rv. The hose taste may or may not make you sick, but the mold WILL.

deer30084
08-31-2018, 01:48 PM
Ok. I will bleach the hoses that I have. If it's not that, then it's the travel trailer plumbing, but I sanitized that. Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

bubbubouy
09-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Deer30084,
I have the same issue. I have three different hoses and they are all the same when the water sets in the hose. The taste is less during cool weather and worse when it’s hot out and the hose is in the sun. There may be a hose out there that will not have this taste issue but I haven’t found it yet. I just let the water run for a minute if I’m going to use it for cooking, coffee, etc.

sourdough
09-01-2018, 07:28 PM
I used our hose forever with the filter at the faucet. I always had a "hose" taste. I tried various "fresh water hoses" (3) and I always had a hose taste, particularly on warm days. I moved the filter to the L attachment at the water inlet and have not had that problem again. Is your filter new? Hose clean etc.? The filters are no good after a month or three and get "sour" if you just store them over the winter and try to reuse them...along with all the debris that grows in them.

rjrelander
09-01-2018, 07:56 PM
We just never drink from the system so I don't know if ours tastes like hose or not. But then again, we never camp for more than two or three nights at one place so a two gallon water jug for making coffee and a cooler in the bed of the truck with bottled water, pop, and adult beverages is more than enough. The system is sanitized and we use the white hose and filters and everything, just never felt the need to drink any of it. Have pretty much just used the hose or fresh water tank for flushing and washing.

deer30084
09-02-2018, 06:28 AM
I put some bleach and water in my hoses and let them sit overnight. Will try those hoses next time we camp. If that doesn't work, will try a new hose. I have a blue Camco filter at the city water inlet. Problem is we don't camp much and the filter will sit and will probably go bad by the next time I use it.. That makes me think those filters aren't worth the cost. Thank you for all of your responses.

JRTJH
09-02-2018, 07:12 AM
I put some bleach and water in my hoses and let them sit overnight. Will try those hoses next time we camp. If that doesn't work, will try a new hose. I have a blue Camco filter at the city water inlet. Problem is we don't camp much and the filter will sit and will probably go bad by the next time I use it.. That makes me think those filters aren't worth the cost. Thank you for all of your responses.

One thing you can do is when you get home, drain the blue filter, shake out the excess water, put it in a gallon Ziploc bag and store it in your freezer. Just like a T-bone steak, it'll stay fresh for weeks/months if stored properly. Just take it out of the freezer when you're packing for the next trip, it'll be thawed and ready to use when you get to the campground.

That way you're not stashing a petri dish in your trailer's front storage area....

deer30084
09-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Excellent idea! I will do that!

bubbubouy
09-02-2018, 02:42 PM
One thing you can do is when you get home, drain the blue filter, shake out the excess water, put it in a gallon Ziploc bag and store it in your freezer. Just like a T-bone steak, it'll stay fresh for weeks/months if stored properly. Just take it out of the freezer when you're packing for the next trip, it'll be thawed and ready to use when you get to the campground.

That way you're not stashing a petri dish in your trailer's front storage area....

Hmm, I haven’t thought of it like that, but it sure makes sense!

Topglock
09-06-2018, 10:00 AM
We use to have the same foul water smell in our 15’ 272bhs. I started draining the hot water tank each time we were done camping. No more smelly water. I tried everything you mentioned with no luck.

BadmanRick
09-06-2018, 11:28 AM
I have seen several posts referencing bad hose taste.
Did you purchase the camper new?
Have you checked all the hoses leading to the drinking water faucets? If any one of these hoses has been replaced with a garden hose type hose you will continue to get a bad water hose taste.
The main water hose to the camper from The faucet should be a certified taste free RV water hose. If you use a filter it should be at the camper connector end.
A certified taste free rv water hose should not have ANY taste added to the water.
If it does it is Contaminated and needs to be sanatized or replaced.
This the RV drinking hose I use: Camco 25ft or 50ft Premium Drinking Water Hose - Lead BPA Free, Anti-Kink Design, 20% Than Standard Hoses 5/8" Inside Diameter
I also use the Camco blue filter.
I have been to campsites with very poor water. We have never had a taste problem with our Keystone Bullet Premier 19FBPR.
New keystone campers use heavy gauge certified water pipe in all their campers. If you are getting a water hose taste someone changed one of the hoses taking the Cheap way out.