PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problems

KingFisher
08-28-2018, 03:53 PM
I lost power to alot of outlets yesterday, and also my ceiling fan. My gfci works, my kitchen off the gfci works. Outside of that all that works is the living room tv and the power recliners and one bedroom recp.

When I turn off the receptacle breaker I lose my tv and chairs. Turn it back on and have them back but the others except the gfci's don't work.

Makes no sense. All breakers are in the correct position, none are tripped. I've hunted all over for another gfci but find none.

2019 montana high country 384br.

Tbos
08-28-2018, 05:02 PM
Did you check outside and the basement storage for a GFCI? If so and there aren’t any I’m not sure where to look next. Maybe there is a loose connection in the box.

flybouy
08-28-2018, 06:08 PM
It's very common for the outlets to be "daisy chained" and for the wires to pushed in to the connectors on the outlet vs using the screw terminals. The only way to diagnose and correct it is to remove every outlet, including working ones, and check the integrity of the connections.

KingFisher
09-01-2018, 05:55 AM
It's very common for the outlets to be "daisy chained" and for the wires to pushed in to the connectors on the outlet vs using the screw terminals. The only way to diagnose and correct it is to remove every outlet, including working ones, and check the integrity of the connections.
Bingo.

Called the dealer and talked to a service tech and here's what I found out.

It's common for the ceiling fan to be wired in with the non gfci receptacles. There are no junction boxes in the trailer anywhere, just daisy chained from one recp to the next until you reach the end one. I have to pull each recp and check them until I find the disconnect. The recp that I thought was the culprit is at the end of the chain so that isn't the one. I've pulled 2 so far. There are 7 total.
I'm home for labor day weekend but when I get back to the trailer I'll start doing this.

flybouy
09-01-2018, 06:25 AM
May not be a bad idea to go beyond fixing it when you find it and still check them all. If one has come loose there may be others on the verge. Good luck and enjoy your weekend!

Local150
09-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Interested in what you find

wiredgeorge
09-01-2018, 09:14 AM
Start with the one downstream from the first working outlet nearest your power converter. The outlets have the wires pushed into blades and electricity vibrates and the wires can come out. You might want to shut off A/C while you do this. The blades in the recepticle connect to the contacts in the outlet and are used because the installer doesn't have to strip wire or screw anything... very quick to install. Same type affair is used in mobile homes and for the same reason. Minimize install time.

Javi
09-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Bingo.

Called the dealer and talked to a service tech and here's what I found out.

It's common for the ceiling fan to be wired in with the non gfci receptacles. There are no junction boxes in the trailer anywhere, just daisy chained from one recp to the next until you reach the end one. I have to pull each recp and check them until I find the disconnect. The recp that I thought was the culprit is at the end of the chain so that isn't the one. I've pulled 2 so far. There are 7 total.
I'm home for labor day weekend but when I get back to the trailer I'll start doing this.

Did you check behind the fridge.. that plug is usually a GFI

KingFisher
09-01-2018, 09:55 AM
Did you check behind the fridge.. that plug is usually a GFI

Yes.

The receptacles that are dead are on a different breaker than the gfci receptacles anyway though.

KingFisher
09-08-2018, 11:58 AM
Fixed this a few days ago but haven't had time to get out the laptop. There was a disconnect in the fan switch which killed the fan and all the receptacles.