PDA

View Full Version : First Keystone RV, any suggestions?

Thomasbeau
08-23-2018, 07:53 AM
Hi Folks,

New to the forum and a longtime RVer having owned Viking, Dutchman, Trail-lite and Forest River. We just purchased a 2018 Hideout 299RLDS 5th wheel. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions regarding issues or problems I should be looking at with this new rig? Not really looking for problems but if there are come common troubles I want to nip them now. It's our first Keystone and I know every manufacturer has their problems.

Thanks

bob91yj
08-23-2018, 09:18 AM
Replacing the Chinese OEM tires seems to be the biggest recommendation.

sourdough
08-23-2018, 10:12 AM
Just a thought on your tires (and you need to look at them); I suspect they are Trailer King or the like. It shows your trailer has a gvw of 11,200 lbs. It also shows that you were provided 225/75r15 LRE tires. To me (not to all folks) that is a problem. Yes, they fit within required guidelines, just not mine. The tires are rated at 2830 lbs. each. 4 provide support for 11,320 lbs. vs gvw of 11,200 lbs. Not much, if any, cushion.

Standard thinking is to deduct the pin weight from that, so, if you were at 11,000 with a pin weight of 20% = 2200 lbs that should be removed from the theoretical weight that is on the tires leaving ample safety margin. I believe the tires should give a good margin above the possible gvw of the trailer without consideration of the pin/tongue. I also think that consideration is more important with a tongue pulled trailer vs a 5th wheel. Just to share my thinking for you to ponder - many will disagree, but, once a blowout takes out the underside you think about it a little more.

You have the OEM tires; probably the TKs or something similar. With the LRE in that size I don't know that they make a higher load range. If that is the case I would then think about the quality of the tire and the things that happen when tires are loaded near their max. A TK tire is built sub standard IMO. When I pulled them off (about 3500-4000 miles on them) they felt like squashy rubber bands against the new Carlisle Radial HDs I put on. The Carlisles were much heavier/stiffer.

Not to make you worry about your new trailer or be overly concerned. Just check out what's on it and let us know. That size trailer on that size tire/load range in a Trailer King would give me pause.

Thomasbeau
08-23-2018, 10:43 AM
I will check it out tonight to see exactly what's on there. Thank you for the insight.

Thomasbeau
08-24-2018, 08:00 AM
Here is that is on my rig...

Load Star Karrier Radial Trailer Tire ST225/75R-15
Load Range : D (8 ply)
Max Capacity : 2540 lbs. each
Side Wall : 8.9"
Overall Diameter : 28.4"
Maximum PSI : 65 lbs
Fits Rim Size : 15 x 6"

Load Star Karrier ST Radial
The KARRIER ST offers double steel belts with full nylon plies for durability and increased tire life.
The computer generated tread design, in conjunction with a new tread rubber compound, provides superior traction in wet or dry conditions.
The KARRIER ST radial tires are continually tested for uniformity to help insure a smoother ride while providing additional stability at highway speeds.

Rig weight:

Hitch Weight 1615 lbs
Dry Weight 8850 lbs
Cargo Weight 2350 lbs

BamaRam
08-24-2018, 08:19 AM
I've been keeping notes on the one I bought in April. It's a TT built in facility #7.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33093

ChuckS
08-24-2018, 08:33 AM
If it were me I’d upgrade to an E rated tire with your rig. Maxxis would be my choice

Other concerns to check and annually check would be...

... grease zerk fittings on leaf springs.
... check roof sealant and look carefully at roof membrane where it meets front cap seam. Any gap is an issue. Reseal with Dicor self leveling sealant. Do this at
Least once a year

... learn in advance where your manual override is for landing gear and slides. And purchase whatever tools needed to operate manually. In my case a cordless drill and long 1/4 apex but

... lug wrench and jack with blocks in case you need to change a tire.

Others will offer more input.

sourdough
08-24-2018, 08:36 AM
I believe the Load Star/Karrier tires are made by Kenda. I have no experience with that brand on an RV. I did have them on a boat trailer (about 5000 lbs.) and had to replace them because the sidewalls completely split due to UV exposure.

My biggest concern (MY personal thinking) is the D rated tires. I thought you were on the edge with the E load range. The D is about 290 lbs. less per tire.

Others will chime in on this but if it were mine, I would have nothing less than an E rated tire (F is there is such a thing) in a well made tire with a proven history.

Thomasbeau
08-24-2018, 09:25 AM
Thank you, You are correct, they are made by Kenda. I have read many reviews and they seem to be fairly decent yet the D rating is concerning. Hard to imagine that Keystone would equip a unit with incorrectly rated tires but it doesn't surprise me. We only have one more trip planned this season so I'm thinking I can replace them in the spring. Money is a little tight after buying the rig and adding several mods to get it to be what we really wanted.

roadglide
08-24-2018, 09:44 AM
Getting reviews on your dealer ,like my dealer they like to sell but don't know how to fix under warranty passing the buck. Good dealer is the key to a happy customers.

sourdough
08-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Just be careful on that last trip. Keep a close eye on the tires while traveling. If you don't have an infrared temp gun get one ($15-20). If you don't have a TPMS system put that at the top of the list (after an EMS). The blowout on my Trailer Kings was at the beginning of the 2nd season and my trailer, like yours, had tires that did not have sufficient load capacity IMO.

wiredgeorge
08-24-2018, 02:13 PM
If it were me I’d upgrade to an E rated tire with your rig. Maxxis would be my choice

Other concerns to check and annually check would be...

... grease zerk fittings on leaf springs.
... check roof sealant and look carefully at roof membrane where it meets front cap seam. Any gap is an issue. Reseal with Dicor self leveling sealant. Do this at
Least once a year

... learn in advance where your manual override is for landing gear and slides. And purchase whatever tools needed to operate manually. In my case a cordless drill and long 1/4 apex but

... lug wrench and jack with blocks in case you need to change a tire.

Others will offer more input.

Would like to add a bit to these excellent thoughts... lug nuts are torqued to 100 ft/lbs so get a breaker bar with cheater pipe if you are well, seasoned like me. As far as tires go, I personally have used Carlisle tires now and in the past (they are always in stock at Discount tire) and have had no issues.

Stanbro
09-09-2018, 09:02 PM
As it is made by Keystone, carry all manner of tools as many things will surely break. Worst quality control of any manufacturer building RVs today.

LuvsPalmTrees
09-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Congrats on your purchase. We have owned ours for 5 years now and nothing major happened until this year. Our furnace went out, but overall it has been a great TT.

I would just be sure that you have a nice cold beverage when you are done setting up and enjoy yourself. You sound like you are a seasoned camper so nothing should surprise you.

gearhead
09-20-2018, 07:20 AM
I would:
Upgrade tire capacity and quality. Maxis, the new Carlisle HD, maybe Goodyear Endurance. If you up the capacity be sure the wheels are rated for increased air pressure, if required.
Greaseable wet bolts for the suspension.
If you have Dometic appliances (fridge, A/C) be sure they are registered with Dometic, especially the fridge. They should be warranted for 2 years and Dometic should send you a letter before the 2 years are up offering an extended warranty.

Thomasbeau
09-20-2018, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the info. I sat down a few nights ago and sorted through all of the paperwork and manuals that came with the unit. I did not notice any warranty cards in the traditional form. Are all the registrations done via the web now rather than the old mail type in warranty cards?

spade117
09-20-2018, 08:14 AM
sorted through all of the paperwork and manuals that came with the unit. I did not notice any warranty cards in the traditional form. Are all the registrations done via the web now rather than the old mail type in warranty cards?

I was wondering the same thing.

JRTJH
09-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Most dealerships will register the appliance warranty as a part of the finance manager's function. During the time you were sitting across the desk from the finance guy, telling him no, you don't want the extended warranty and the appearance protection package, chances are he was pulling out all those warranty registration cards and filling out your name/address on them. They usually drop them in the mail as a part of that process.

Check with your dealership and ask if they did it for you. Most do, some don't.

chuckster57
09-20-2018, 12:19 PM
Our dealership doesn’t. Part of my walkthrough includes showing the owners packet and instructing the new owner to register everything.

Thomasbeau
09-20-2018, 04:09 PM
So I just went though the Dometic paperwork and there are no warranty cards. However it does direct you to register online. There are online instructions as to where you can find the required model and serial numbers. I registered my refrigerator in about three minutes. Very easy process.

JRTJH
09-20-2018, 04:49 PM
So I just went though the Dometic paperwork and there are no warranty cards. However it does direct you to register online. There are online instructions as to where you can find the required model and serial numbers. I registered my refrigerator in about three minutes. Very easy process.

Dig out your refrigerator owner's manual and read paragraph 5 of the warranty and then review appendix f. The two year warranty is really a 1 year warranty with a second year "IF" you have an authorized Dometic service center perform the required annual maintenance. Catch 22? Depends on how you read it..... YMMV

cookinwitdiesel
03-30-2019, 08:21 PM
What has been your impression on the trailer so far? I have a Hideout 28RKS that is pretty good (had no issues so far!) but almost immediately found myself wanting some of the benefits of a fifth wheel and the rear living layout has always been a favorite of mine.

Fishsizzle
03-31-2019, 06:13 AM
Maxxis, great tires, had them on last travel trailer. eBay was by far cheapest place to but.

The laser thermometer, such great advise. I use it all the time, check tire and brake temps.

Thomasbeau
04-01-2019, 12:25 PM
We are getting ready to start our second season with the Hideout really no major issues. So far I did have to...

1. Replaced the control board for the water heater, replaced the chinese crap with the Dinosaur Electronics board.

2. The CO detector failed and beeped all the time so I replaced that too.

3. Added the gas lift cylinders to the overhead cabinet doors because it was a pain in the butt trying to hold the door open and get things out with one hand. Pretty cheap, only about $4 each on Amazon.

4. Replaced that useless stock bathroom fan with a Fantastic Fan. Huge difference, best upgrade I could have made.

5. Replaced all the outside cylinder locks with a better lock that isn't a 741 Key.

Otherwise no issues at all. So far no leaks, tanks are good and everything seems fine. This is our fifth RV, we have had two popups, a hybrid camper with the pull out bunks, and a Forest River Wildcat 5th wheel. They all have had their problems so the Hideout currently has been a treat. Probably getting new tires soon, Kenda Tires came stock, not too sure about them so best to replace.

MarkEHansen
04-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Did you mean the CH751 locks? What did you replace it with (that is better) - I hate those locks, as they are so difficult to operate.

cookinwitdiesel
04-01-2019, 04:08 PM
I had CH751 locks on all storage doors until today. They sucked at first but once I blasted them with WD-40 they worked worlds better. I still replaced them all today along with the main door latch with RVLock ones all keyed the same.

Thomasbeau
04-02-2019, 04:06 AM
Yeah, I mean't the CH751 locks. Wrote that reply at work and had a brain fart in my haste. I ordered the following locks from Amazon to replace the originals. They are still cylinder locks and look slightly beefier. The thing I mainly chose them for was the fact that they used a different key than the CH751. As we all know these will only keep the honest people out anyway but at least I know that there is a better chance that every dishonest RV owner on the planet will not have the key to my compartments.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UCAH40/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TNVJones
04-02-2019, 10:16 AM
Congrats. We just purchased a 2019 Hideout 303rli in February 2019. Interesting that yours has load range D tires and not E. Ours has Karrier Tires 225/75/15 load range E and has GVWR 11,400 pounds and yours has GVWR of 11,200. I came from a Forest River product. No issues I have discovered yet. Did add a TPMS and have an infrared thermometer. Did not come from factory with battery disconnect so I added one

BamaRam
04-02-2019, 08:57 PM
3. Added the gas lift cylinders to the overhead cabinet doors because it was a pain in the butt trying to hold the door open and get things out with one hand. Pretty cheap, only about $4 each on Amazon

Do you have details on the size cylinder or, even better, a link? Thanks!

Thomasbeau
04-03-2019, 05:10 AM
Here is what I purchased lifting cylinders, unfortunately Amazon lists them as currently unavailable...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0156P6YVC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Specs as listed on Amazon are:

Lids soft open gently,Ideal for supporting the lid to keep it open
Force:18 Lbs(Per Strut),Length (Center-to-Center):7 inch(180 mm),Compressed Length (Center-to-Center):5.12 inch(130mm)
Support opens lids to a maximum angle of 90 degrees.

I haven't had the time to research but I would guess that Amazon or eBay might stock something similar in terms of specs and price.

BamaRam
04-03-2019, 02:24 PM
Here is what I purchased lifting cylinders, unfortunately Amazon lists them as currently unavailable...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0156P6YVC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Specs as listed on Amazon are:

Lids soft open gently,Ideal for supporting the lid to keep it open
Force:18 Lbs(Per Strut),Length (Center-to-Center):7 inch(180 mm),Compressed Length (Center-to-Center):5.12 inch(130mm)
Support opens lids to a maximum angle of 90 degrees.

I haven't had the time to research but I would guess that Amazon or eBay might stock something similar in terms of specs and price.

Thanks so much for the info. This gives me a great starting point to bypass those one-handed cabinets.

notanlines
04-03-2019, 11:36 PM
FYI, they will be back in stock April 13....:)