PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Exhaust Filter

Old Mustanger
08-20-2018, 10:20 AM
I need to ask any other diesel owners how long the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message stays up upon each occurrence. Mine usually lasts only a couple of seconds before it goes off and I'm thinking it should stay on as long as the filter is being "cleaned". My truck is now in the shop to have a clogged particulate filter replaced (not cheap) and I'm concerned that I may have a PCM problem that caused it due to the cleaning operation not running long enough. :(

Javi
08-20-2018, 10:23 AM
Long enough for me to sometimes see it... maybe 30 seconds.. but if you watch the mileage indicator it is evident that it is cleaning...

KSH
08-20-2018, 10:47 AM
On my 2105 ecodiesel i never saw it. Had the 2018 2500 cummins for almost a year, still haven't seen it. I do a lot of highway driving though.

ADQ K9
08-20-2018, 10:57 AM
I get the message poping up at the most in opportune times like after a long trip and I am 5 miles from home. if I am not mistaken I think you can get your truck "reflashed" and have Manual Regeneration installed. My truck did not come with it as an option It is supposed to happen automaticaly on the higher end model Fords Lariat through Platinum. The manual option is beneficial if you do a lot of short trips and the truck does not warm up to the proper temperature to regen.

JRTJH
08-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Mine shows (actually flashes) the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message for about 3 or 4 seconds at the beginning of the cycle. Then, nothing until the next cycle begins. As Javi said, the only "apparent indication" that the cleaning cycle is in progress is the instant fuel mileage indicator. Mine drops from 19-22 down to 11-12 during the cleaning cycle. It "seems to last" for about 10 minutes, but always seems to begin just as I turn the corner, less than a mile from home. Typically, in the winter, we drive to town, then back home and the truck just reaches operating temperature about the time we're "almost back home"...

I can't tell anyone how many times the truck "cleans the exhaust filter" because I have no idea when it's actually doing it and when the instant fuel mileage is "just low".... It would be great if there was an idiot light (seems there's one for everything else" that comes on when the cycle starts and stays on until it's finished. Of course, that would make sense, something that seems lacking with the "dumbing down of drivers"....

Javi
08-20-2018, 11:20 AM
There are two warnings... Cleaning Exhaust Filter which is passive and another... DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER... which is not passive..

Pull Toy
08-20-2018, 03:00 PM
My 6.7 Ford flashes a 5 -second message, then goes to work, and KILLS fuel mileage, and raises all temp's!

The second hint / give away is the smell like "Burning Brakes" if you park before it's done. The total process takes about twenty minutes. Best advice I can give... keep driving! LOL !!!

As mentioned... $$$$ if dealer has to get involved!

p.s. Fuel is cheaper than dealer repairs, and you know you LUV to share views of your TV! GO FOR IT!

Good Luck,

travelin texans
08-20-2018, 03:07 PM
My GMC gives no indication of when or how long, but I've noticed that it sounds like the fan clutch kicks in when it's in regen.

Old Mustanger
08-20-2018, 07:32 PM
Thanks for all of the replies! At least now I know it's not a PCM problem but maybe just not driving long enough when it does come on. Sure seems like there should be a better system...maybe getting rid of the filter and DEF system all together? (Yes I know it's not legal in most states, but my son did it on his Ram 1500 and got a pretty good increase in MPG.) :angel:

cynjon
08-22-2018, 06:36 AM
My Ram (6.7l CTD) didn't let me know at all that it was going through a regen cycle, other than the fact that I could usually smell it. I added an Edge CTS2 monitor, which gives me visual notification that a regen cycle is in progress. I also love the ability to monitor EGTs at several points along the exhaust path. I often see temps in excess of 1000 degrees during a regen, and I make an extra effort to let it complete the regen cycle (to avoid getting the "do it now" message) and making sure it let it idle long enough to cool down afterwards.

MattHelm21
08-22-2018, 06:49 PM
I’ve used the Forscan app to enable the dashboard DPF% guage. This allows me to see when the filter is full as well as watch the percentage go down while driving during a regen. That in turn gives me an idea of how long it takes to clean after the “cleaning exhaust filter” message flashes. You can also enable a guage in the Forscan app itself to do the same. The length of time to clean varies depending on your driving speed and load but figure a minimum 15 to 20 minutes of driving at speeds above 45 MPH in order to completely return the percentage as close to 0 as possible. Mine never drops below 20 percent and the cycle turns off between 35 and 40 percent. I’ve found that after shutting off in regen, the cleaning cycle does not restart upon starting the engine but only after the percentage again reaches 100.

Old Mustanger
08-22-2018, 07:55 PM
I'm definitely going to find a means of knowing when it's completed the regen cycle. that new filter along with a tube to one of the turbos that blew off due to the increased pressure from the clog cost me $4500. If this truck wasn't already paid for I would have traded it in on the spot, or maybe gone across the highway to dark side (Chevy dealer).

scottz
08-22-2018, 08:42 PM
Agreed with everything that has been said (about the Fords). It is a real pain. If you miss the message that flashes for a few seconds, you never know a regen is taking place. And even if you know one is taking place, continuing to drive is not always an option. Ford could have thought this through a little more.

I had a company truck (2015) that had some regen issues. They reflashed it with the "Operator Commanded Regen" (TSB-14-0171), but it never worked. It gave me an extra line on the display (This TSB is only for those trucks with standard level, two line display) that showed the status of my DPF, but the option to command a regen never appeared. At least I could see the status of the DPF.

I've been thinking about having them put it on my personal truck (2014).

TSB attached.

flybouy
08-27-2018, 01:42 PM
My understanding is most diesels use a rear cylinder for regen The injector is different in that cyl. Carbon builds up in the particulate filter and the computer opens that rear cyl injector and dumps a large volume of fuel so it burns in the particulate filter and incinerates the carbon. Thank the EPA for that. :facepalm:Diesels are built to be run on the highway and using them as a "go getter" or driving in stop and go traffic will cause issues.:banghead:

Badbart56
08-27-2018, 02:26 PM
In the past year that I've owned this truck I only saw the message once. I'm probably just missing it. Honestly, my truck doesn't seem to use much DEF. I filled it up two oil changes ago and it's just now below a half tank. So in about 7000 miles it's used about a half tank of DEF. But I'm not currently towing anything either. Just rural 55 to 70 mph driving with a little city driving.

Javi
08-27-2018, 02:41 PM
In the past year that I've owned this truck I only saw the message once. I'm probably just missing it. Honestly, my truck doesn't seem to use much DEF. I filled it up two oil changes ago and it's just now below a half tank. So in about 7000 miles it's used about a half tank of DEF. But I'm not currently towing anything either. Just rural 55 to 70 mph driving with a little city driving.

I average a little over 3K between jugs... (2.5 gallon) but usually I'm either in town or towing... I drive seven miles each way to work... :D

Mikendebbie
08-27-2018, 02:54 PM
I have put 70k on my 2014 and have never received a message of any sort or noticed a change while driving. 3 months ago got a check engine light and it turned out the 9th injector (for the DPF) had to be replaced under warranty. Dealer cleaned the filter while they were replacing the injector.

bobbecky
08-27-2018, 06:47 PM
My understanding is most diesels use a rear cylinder for regen The injector is different in that cyl. Carbon builds up in the particulate filter and the computer opens that rear cyl injector and dumps a large volume of fuel so it burns in the particulate filter and incinerates the carbon. Thank the EPA for that. :facepalm:Diesels are built to be run on the highway and using them as a "go getter" or driving in stop and go traffic will cause issues.:banghead:

Our Chevy has a ninth injector that is in the exhaust going to the DPF, and that is where the diesel is injected when it goes into a regen mode. Not sure about other brands, but would worry about dumping a large amount of fuel into a running cylinder that would still be trying to operate. Would think, besides washing cylinder wall of any lubrication, that damage to the piston would occur from that much fuel.

SkiSmuggs
09-02-2018, 07:59 AM
I have a 2015 F350. The message is only on the screen a few seconds, but I have an Edge CTS gauge cluster that shows me the regeneration process takes from 15 to 20 miles of driving. You can have a dealer add the screen that shows how full the DPF is. My dealer charged $25 and it is worth every penny to have that knowledge.
This is how to get to the %DPF screen for "Exhaust filter".

(1) IDS "talking" with truck via VCM

(2) Toolbox selected to get to the Module Programming

(3) Programmable Parameters for our trucks

(4) Select Personality Parameter to program

(5) Change "Forced Regeneration Request" to Enabled.

(6) Programming complete and VCM can be disconnected from truck

Ghost Screen now appears

SkiSmuggs
09-02-2018, 08:03 AM

DEF has nothing to do with DPF regeneration. It is sprayed into the SCR to reduce NOx emissions. Since NOx emissions increase with engine heat, you use more of it while towing.
DPF regens use diesel fuel sprayed into the exhaust to burn off soot accumulation from the DPF.

SkiSmuggs
09-02-2018, 08:11 AM
I'm definitely going to find a means of knowing when it's completed the regen cycle. that new filter along with a tube to one of the turbos that blew off due to the increased pressure from the clog cost me $4500. If this truck wasn't already paid for I would have traded it in on the spot, or maybe gone across the highway to dark side (Chevy dealer).

That tube was probably the intercooler cold pipe that is plastic. It mates to the metal intake which causes the heating/cooling cycles to weaken it and it bursts from increased turbo pressure as when towing. I replaced mine with an aftermarket one from Rudy's Diesel that I found on Amazon. H&S and Mishimoto also make them for more. The cold pipe has been know to burst in as little as 25,000 miles or go for over 100K. Turbo pressure increases with power demand so tow vehicles are more susceptible to early failure. The dealer will probably charge about $500 or more for replacement, so I suspect you had more than just a blown cold pipe.

roadglide
09-02-2018, 11:15 AM
On my 13 duramax it went into derated at Sturgis . The dealer that took me in was 15 miles away I was down to 20 mph . They plugged it too rev the motor 30 minutes to clean the particle filters . The reason unknown for sure but I never had trouble with the particle filters after that .

travelin texans
09-02-2018, 11:36 AM
On my 13 duramax it went into derated at Sturgis . The dealer that took me in was 15 miles away I was down to 20 mph . They plugged it too rev the motor 30 minutes to clean the particle filters . The reason unknown for sure but I never had trouble with the particle filters after that .

My '13 did that once also at about 75k miles, same fix, no problems since, now has 124k miles. I can never tell when it's in regen, occasionally it sounds like the fan clutch kicks into high gear which I
assume is the regen cycle.

SkiSmuggs
09-02-2018, 11:43 AM

That process in called a manual regeneration. I can do it on my Powerstroke with my Edge CTS. I don't know if that feature is available on the CT2 for Duramax and Cummins, but certainly worth exploring. The Edge Evolution in a tuning device, but the Edge Insight that I have is just a gauge cluster and diagnostic/maintenance device.

sdetweil
09-03-2018, 07:09 AM
on the Fords, prior to a TSB in 2011, the cleaning message used to stay on the screen during the whole regen, but it blocked the other info. Ford changed it to only flash for a couple seconds to eliminate that problem.

for Android there is an App.. Torque Pro (not free) that will let you setup and display different truck parameters.. including if regen is active

I maintain an installable plugin for the 6.7l diesel computer sensor definitions (PIDs) for this app.
it can be downloaded from my dropbox
Torque Pro SuperDuty PIDS plugin (https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vt2qmh2zm17au1/SuperDutypids.apk?dl=0)

we also discuss the PIDs and any potential new ones here
Ford Trucks forum Torque Pro topic (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1322804-torque-pro-ford-6-7l-extended-pids.html)

scottz
09-03-2018, 09:44 AM
How are you connecting your android device to the OBD port?

Will this one work? https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android/dp/B00PJPHEBO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1535997073&sr=8-6&keywords=obdii+adapter

roadglide
09-03-2018, 10:20 AM
That process in called a manual regeneration. I can do it on my Powerstroke with my Edge CTS. I don't know if that feature is available on the CT2 for Duramax and Cummins, but certainly worth exploring. The Edge Evolution in a tuning device, but the Edge Insight that I have is just a gauge cluster and diagnostic/maintenance device.

It cost 100 for the regeneration

scottz
09-03-2018, 02:41 PM
on the Fords, prior to a TSB in 2011, the cleaning message used to stay on the screen during the whole regen, but it blocked the other info. Ford changed it to only flash for a couple seconds to eliminate that problem.

for Android there is an App.. Torque Pro (not free) that will let you setup and display different truck parameters.. including if regen is active

I maintain an installable plugin for the 6.7l diesel computer sensor definitions (PIDs) for this app.
Torque Pro SuperDuty PIDS plugin (https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vt2qmh2zm17au1/SuperDutypids.apk?dl=0)

Ford Trucks forum Torque Pro topic (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1322804-torque-pro-ford-6-7l-extended-pids.html)

Thanks for posting this. I have the app and your PIDs; OBD Bluetooth adapter on order.

Question; In the settings on Torque Pro, I have set all the units to British units, however, some of the displays (EOT, TFT, ECT 1&2, TPM's) display in metric units (C & KPA). What am I doing wrong?

vampress_me
09-03-2018, 06:25 PM

I loved when our old 2009 F-350 would display the regen message the whole time it was regenning. And complained to the dealer when they flashed the computer and took that away...did no good of course! Ever since, you would only know if that truck or the new one was regenning if I caught it for the couple of seconds it’s in the display. One of the dumbest moves made by Ford as far as I was concerned since even if I’m close to home, I will drive until the regen is done, and it’s kind of nice to know when it’s finished. :facepalm:

With this truck, hubby downloaded OBD Fusion to my iPhone and with a plug-in in the OBD port, I now know my exhaust temps, when it is regenning (and how high the temps get), and other things I don’t necessailry pay much attention to. But I love that app when I am towing.

sdetweil
09-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Thanks for posting this. I have the app and your PIDs; OBD Bluetooth adapter on order.

Question; In the settings on Torque Pro, I have set all the units to British units, however, some of the displays (EOT, TFT, ECT 1&2, TPM's) display in metric units (C & KPA). What am I doing wrong?

If u added the display to the tp panel in c/kpa setting mode, they will not change until ecu data is presented in the current profile settings mode.

sdetweil
09-03-2018, 07:43 PM
I like it both ways. Wish they would add a panel to the display so we could monitor Regen

sdetweil
09-03-2018, 07:47 PM
How are you connecting your android device to the OBD port?

Will this one work? https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android/dp/B00PJPHEBO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1535997073&sr=8-6&keywords=obdii+adapter

I use an Elm327 odb2 Bluetooth adapter I got from eBay a couple years ago.

Irv gates
09-04-2018, 06:53 PM
On my 2009 f350 drw the that infro on cleaning the Parti filter stays on for a good minute.