PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on goose neck

whcarr
08-20-2018, 05:55 AM
Been thinking about converting to a goose neck hitch. 2017 371 fuzion. What are the pros and cons. Thanks Bill

mcomeaux
08-20-2018, 06:10 AM
Have you looked at the Andersen Ultimate hitch? I have this setup and it is extremely easy to use....

Canonman
08-20-2018, 06:46 AM
I too use the Anderson. The ball on the truck is the same as for a Gooseneck, but the pyramid base eliminates the negative leverage that can cause frame damage on our 5th wheel trailers. The advantage of being able to easily and quickly remove the hitch with one person and recover your truck bed whenever you'd like to makes it nice alternative to a standard Gooseneck hitch.

chuckster57
08-20-2018, 06:57 AM
With a goose neck, there is only the ball in the bed. Depending on state regulation you may have to use safety chains. Take the ball out and turn it over for full bed.

About the only con is you can’t have anybody else move your unit if your truck breaks down unless they have the ball.

mcomeaux
08-20-2018, 07:02 AM
You can always remove the puck off trailer and use conventional hitch if needed. I sure enjoy the idea of removing the pedestal with ease...The Ultimate seems to be gaining more traction I'm seeing more of them on the road...

gearhead
08-20-2018, 09:17 AM
There is also the PullRite SuperLite, which is what I went to. All steel and maybe 10# heavier than Andersen, and about $100 cheaper.
http://www.pullrite.com/content/2600-superlite-features-benefits

ADQ K9
08-20-2018, 10:35 AM
What about the Reese Goose Box? Saw a good review on You tube about it looks like a nice set up. That would be my choice if I was to own a 5er.

DucBill
09-18-2018, 04:21 AM
Here's M2CW but YMMV I have had19k# Goose Box on my '14 375 for almost a year which has worked well for me, if you go this way make sure you check clearance for side rail at full 90 deg. I had a little over an inch with GMC Sierra 3500 but have heard of other brands (Ford) having clearance issues. On my previous 5er I had Reese 5th Air Borne which had more travel for cushion but not dealing with hitch in bed has been back saver even though I had Anderson Ultimate. Reese put an air pressure regulating valve set at 50 psi which blows off when sudden stops I'm thinking of removing as my bed to trlr clearance is 6.5" and I'm pushing 13'6 H with Morryde 4000 added. I would not tow a big 5er without air cushion either on pinbox or hitch but Trailer Savers are heavy and $$$ + I use my bed for more than towing. It's great getting to camp site and having furniture and dishes where you left them plus reduced wear and tear on rig not to mention smother ride in TV. Good luck with your solution.

gkainz
09-18-2018, 06:25 AM
I'm very pleased with my Andersen Ultimate - been using it for the last 4-5 years.

Kzneft
10-04-2018, 06:43 PM
I was told by my dealer it voids any warranty. Just my two cents.

roadglide
10-04-2018, 07:09 PM
I was told by my dealer it voids any warranty. Just my two cents.

Your dealer is full of bs and wants to sell you a hitch, one more thing most dealers will tell you anything to make a sale . Do the research. I have Anderson hitch that built for fuel cell it added 91/2 inches to my standard bed .it could be alternative to a very heavy slider hitch .

rhagfo
10-04-2018, 09:28 PM
Get a Reese GoosBox.

chuckster57
10-05-2018, 01:39 AM
Your dealer is full of bs and wants to sell you a hitch, one more thing most dealers will tell you anything to make a sale . Do the research. I have Anderson hitch that built for fuel cell it added 91/2 inches to my standard bed .it could be alternative to a very heavy slider hitch .

This subject came up a couple years ago and I talked to Lippert. That dealer is actually correct, but Anderson does have an “insurance policy” covering frame damage if Lippert denies warranty claim. If I can find the email I’ll post it again.

DucBill
10-05-2018, 07:25 AM
FWIW The Reese Goosebox is approved by Lippert/Keystone as it had extensive testing on Bosch test track in Germany also meets latest SAE requirements. When I inquired about warranty with Andersen before buying for my KZ as Reese specifically forbids Gooseneck hitchez from use with 5th Airborne I was told by them they had $ million product liability insurance. I never had an issue with either the 5th airborne or Andersen Ultimate other than having to remove to use the bed of my truck versus just a ball in bed.YMMV1879918800

roadglide
10-05-2018, 08:14 PM
I see fifth wheel hitches that do not pivot side to side the plate will put stress on the bed and trailer. The king pin ball and design of the Anderson adaptor let's the load pivot side to side front to back .

DucBill
10-06-2018, 01:27 AM
Same as on Goosebox except there's about 4" of air spring of travel with dual shocks between truck and trailer makes for smoother ride and reduces shock loads to 5ver.

spicercars
10-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Reese goose box is the only one that does not void the factory warranty.

chuckster57
10-07-2018, 03:21 PM
I see fifth wheel hitches that do not pivot side to side the plate will put stress on the bed and trailer. The king pin ball and design of the Anderson adaptor let's the load pivot side to side front to back .

Those are rare. My original hitch was a single axis pivot (RBW),haven’t seen a hitch that doesn’t have 2 axis pivot in years.

DucBill
10-08-2018, 08:37 AM
Chuckster57 FWIW I had an RBW slider for pulling my Alfa Toyhouse. I had to remember to shift slider before getting truck and trlr articulated or it wasn't gonna translate no matter how much force you put on it. Glad those days are behind me.18841

DucBill
10-09-2018, 01:51 PM
For it's day the RBW Lil Rocker was a good hitch, great once fitted with Blue Ox safety latch.