PDA

View Full Version : Bedroom skylight = early rising

CeceliaM
08-19-2018, 03:45 AM
Hi!
Does anyone have an idea for covering the bedroom skylight to darken the room for the morning? I am tend to wake up as soon as the light come streaming in. I love that the skylight provides light during the day without having to turn lights on or open the shades but I would love to be able to sleep later.

kawi23
08-19-2018, 03:51 AM
they sell vent shades i had one in my previous camper with vent in bedroom just search for rv vent shade

JimQ
08-19-2018, 04:10 AM
I cut a piece of black foam I had around the house. It's 1\2" thick and fits perfectly. Just push it up into the open ing. Besides using it at night, I also use them when its hot and sunny out to keep the coach cooler.

chuckster57
08-19-2018, 04:14 AM
Skylight? Or vent. Standard vent is 14”X14” square. Skylights are generally rectangle or other shape and found in the bathroom over the shower.

There are options and we chose the insulated one. It has reflective surface on one side, does it reflect? I don’t know but it does block the light. I got mine at my RV parts counter.

MSB1766
08-19-2018, 01:07 PM
Got a set of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E6QX0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sourdough
08-19-2018, 02:22 PM
I stuck an airconditioner in mine:D

chuckster57
08-19-2018, 02:35 PM
I stuck an airconditioner in mine:D

Trust me if I was 50A service, I would too.

bobz89013
08-19-2018, 03:43 PM
I took the inner liner part off and put a piece of tan sheet in then reinstalled. Still lets light in but much dimmer, you could use whatever color you want and don't have to worry about putting it up or down also doesn't get wet.

wiredgeorge
08-19-2018, 04:07 PM
The foil kind of scares me as it reflects quite a bit of heat back onto the cover. Has anyone seen a cover melt? The black piece of foam sounds like a good idea and if you get the urge to put tin foil on the top, suspect it would be cheaper than a Camco thing if you have a couple vents.

bill-e
08-19-2018, 04:44 PM
I put a black Maxi vent cover on mine so I can keep it open and block out most of the light....bigger issue now are the window shades which are not the room darkening type

chuckster57
08-19-2018, 04:47 PM
I have maxair vents with smoke lid. I had the reflective “pillows” from my previous trailer and never have had any melting issues.

WNY Bullet
08-20-2018, 01:00 AM
I had the same problem with waking u as soon as the sun came up. I was looking at the reflective pillows to stuff in there at night, but in my search for them I found a Craigslist add selling flat covers that snap over the opening. They were made by a boat cover upholster for them, but since sold their RV. I'm not sure how much they cost them originally, but I paid $5 apiece for them. I like them better than the pillow type, since they store flat!

Might be an option for you to have something made.

KSH
08-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Got a set of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E6QX0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1That's what i got. Works great

UsTwo
08-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Got a set of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E6QX0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We also use this. Works great

ozark traveler
08-26-2018, 04:21 PM
Another suggestion. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and look for a roll of double faced Al foil insulation. (I'm sure it must have a name but I don't know what it's called) It is flexable in one direction and may have aircells or foam for insulation...about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. I think you can get the rolls in different widths and lengths. A roll, depending on size and length should not cost more than $10 to $15. It is good for all sorts of things. I carry a roll with me all the time and use it for sky lights vent openings, between curtains and window pain in BR and entry door window pain. (Yes, I'm with the rest of you...I don't like light when and where I'm sleeping) Snoozing in front of the TV doesn't count:angel:

You can cut the stuff with scissors to any size you want. If you cut it a little oversize it will stay where you it with out using velcro.

In another post on this forum there is a discussion about air ducts not being closed off very well. I have a few odd sizes of this material and thought it might make a good piece of material to help seal off the ducts, at least I'm going to give it a try this fall sometime.

madmaxmutt
08-26-2018, 04:46 PM
Hi!
Does anyone have an idea for covering the bedroom skylight to darken the room for the morning? I am tend to wake up as soon as the light come streaming in. I love that the skylight provides light during the day without having to turn lights on or open the shades but I would love to be able to sleep later.

Thank you for posing this question. It made me rule out a Rockwood 5er. I would never hear the end of the bathroom skylight, in the morning. Happy DW, happy life!!

LuvsPalmTrees
08-27-2018, 05:18 AM
We bought the Maxi Cover that is smoke colored. Perfect. I cannot figure what made them think of a vent right above the bed. Way to much sun light.

hdrolling
08-27-2018, 07:12 AM
Our raptor skylight came with these shades that slide open and close, these seem kind of high priced but I included the link so you would know the measurements.

This is for skylights not vents.

http://www.trekwood.com/products.php?product_id=465820