PDA

View Full Version : auto awning motor dead

tunatundra
08-16-2018, 11:48 AM
2017 cougar fiver. Solero auto awning. Motor dead and both remote and panel do not even make a sound.
Replaced fuse but when doing it I noticed no "red light indicator" was on nor did it come on on after removing the fuse. Fuse looked good but I replaced with another 15 amp. Pulled it back out but no red light. What do you think and where should I trouble shoot FIRST. Don't want to pull out the Switch panel or the fuse panel if I don't need to. Thanks

Local150
08-18-2018, 03:31 PM
I am hoping you get some replies, this is my 1st electric awning and have been wondering what you do if it does while extended

PARAPTOR
08-18-2018, 04:36 PM
If you have a meter check for +12 VDC at the fuse. If you do not have +12VDC led light will not lite in case of a blown fuse nor will the device(s) work with a good fuse. You did not mention if other +12VDC devices are working. Connected to shore power??

JRTJH
08-18-2018, 06:21 PM
I am hoping you get some replies, this is my 1st electric awning and have been wondering what you do if it does while extended

I think what you're saying is that your awning works and you currently don't have any problems but are wondering what to do IF it should happen to fail while extended???? If this is what you're asking, then first, we need to know what brand awning you have. With the brand, someone can give you specific procedures to retract the awning. It varies with brand, so more info is needed.

As for all electric awnings that I've seen, every one of them has a procedure to retract in the event of an electrical problem. Your owner's manual (for the awning, not the trailer) will have the specifics for your brand.

Post more info and you'll get specifics.

chuckster57
08-18-2018, 06:27 PM
John, it’s a solera.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/manuals/Solera_Power_Awning_Owner_s_Manual.pdf

Manual override- page 5

JRTJH
08-18-2018, 06:53 PM
John, it’s a solera.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/manuals/Solera_Power_Awning_Owner_s_Manual.pdf

Manual override- page 5

Well then..... If tunatundra and Local150 have the same awning, that answers that..... Get a battery operated drill and follow the instructions on which "rubber plug" to remove.... Easy Peasy....

Local150
08-19-2018, 05:32 AM
The only name I see on the awning is carefree

chuckster57
08-19-2018, 05:48 AM
The only name I see on the awning is carefree

Carefree has a different way. Look at the forward arm, at the end where the motor is. There may be two metal posts and if there is that’s where you apply 12VDC. Polarity determines direction, and I don’t remember there being a “manual” override.

JRTJH
08-19-2018, 06:06 AM
I had a hunch that your awning wasn't the same as the one being discussed in this thread. Since you see Carefree tags on the awning, it's not a LCI Solera product and the procedures are different.

Do you have the owner's manual for the awning? If you do, the instructions are very clear. Carefree of Colorado manufactures 8 different styles of patio awning for towable RV's. I'd urge you to locate your owner's manual and read the emergency retraction process. Attempting to explain the process for the various styles that Carefree has on the market can be even more confusing than helpful.

Please read your owner's manual and if you have any questions, ask them here and give us the model number/name and any other identifying information you have. That way we can give you the information that's specific to what you have, not guess what it might be.

tunatundra
08-19-2018, 11:21 AM
I don't know how we ended up where we did. But by awning "Solero" not Carefree has no power to the motor. I know how to manually operate the slide. Neither remote or inside Switch works. The fuse for the awning does not indicate "red" when I pull the fuse. Before I pull either the fuse panel or switch panel I thought I would ask what else could I check. Since there is apparently no power to the fuse one might figure it the switch (rocker) in the panel but since the remote does not operate the awning motor that doesn't seem logical either. Every other switch works.

chuckster57
08-19-2018, 11:25 AM
If the rocker switch is in the monitor panel, then remove the entire panel and look for a fuse there.

Local150
08-19-2018, 03:00 PM
Will do thanks