PDA

View Full Version : 15K A/C trips overload on 2 Parallel 2K gennerators.

ADQ K9
08-15-2018, 11:42 AM
In theory and by what I have been told by multiple people and sources I should be able to run my A/C 15K single unit with my 2 Yamaha 2KW generators connected to the trailers 30 amp plug via a parallel cable.
I was working on my TT the other day and had them hooked up both were in eco mode and I figured lets try the A/C, both the generators went to overload protection. nothing else was on except for a couple lights. was this because they were in ECO mode and couldn't ramp up fast enough for the power surge? I didn't really have time to dive in to it since I was working on another project on the TT.

JRTJH
08-15-2018, 12:03 PM
I think there are several factors at work against you. First, there is more being powered by your shore power cable than "just the air conditioner. The Power center provides power to the converter/charger, the refrigerator, the water heater and the microwave. Even if the refrigerator is turned to LPG, there is some 12 volt draw which triggers the converter/charger to persist in the "absorption mode" which draws about 600 watts (5 amps at 120VAC). So, even if "the A/C is the only visible thing turned on", other items draw from the generator output.

Having the generators in the ECO mode will cause a delay in providing maximum power. With some appliances such as the air conditioners, the voltage drop as the ECO mode ramps up is enough to overload the maximum available watt output which causes a "low voltage condition" and can trip the generator circuit breaker.

So, if you want to run your air conditioner, first turn off the generator ECO mode and turn on the air conditioner. If it trips the circuit breaker on the generator, then go inside the RV and turn off the REC/CON circuit breaker on the power distribution panel. That should allow your air conditioner to start. Not many 2000 watt parallel setups can operate a 15K BTU A/C on ECO mode. Yours isn't failing, it's acting as most do. Keep in mind that with the REC/CON breaker tripped, you will not charge the trailer battery bank or provide converter power to the 12 VDC system, so you will be "essentially dry camping with an Air Conditioner".... You will wake up with dead batteries after a night or two, so plan to alternate converter charging and Air Conditioner use during the cooler parts of the day when you can get by without air.

bill-e
08-15-2018, 12:16 PM
Yamahas are designed to be run in the non-eco mode when in parallel. I run my 15k AC with the Yammy's all the time.

If it's like 100° in the camper and higher in the AC shroud AND you're converter is charging then then it might not work unless you run it on FAN for a short while to cool off the AC unit..

ADQ K9
08-15-2018, 12:21 PM
John,
Just as I thought thanks for the guidance,there are no real instructions for each individual set up, as in brand and type of generator, converter, A/C unit length of cable run etc. all variables. I was not aware that the charging sysyem pulled that much power. The fridge and water heater were off. I usually run the fridge on gas and only turn on the water heater as needed. I will try with ECO mode off next time we set up at the state fair. Not that we will be needing the A/C things are cooling off here. Will be looking at installing a Micro Air Soft Start for the A/C over the winter.

JRTJH
08-15-2018, 12:54 PM
Mike,

I think you will find the generators work well when the ECO mode is turned off. As for installing a Micro-Aire system, I'd urge you to try the current generator setup before spending the money. Chances are you will be able to run your air conditioner without the expense of the add on system.

Yamaha has recently upgraded their 2000 watt generator systems to include a different control board for the generator overload system. The current generator will provide "more than 1600 watts for about 20 seconds, then time out and trip the circuit breaker. The updated control board will allow the generator to provide "over 1600 watts" for up to 13 minutes before shutting down power. That additional time will essentially eliminate the need for the Micro-Aire system for most users who have found their generators won't start the air conditioner. My guess is that would be less than 15% of the users. The rest find they don't have problems. I'd bet you're in the 85% category.

As far as I know, Yamaha has not marketed and has no plans to market an upgrade for older 2000 watt generator sets to provide the increased "high power capacity"....

ADQ K9
08-15-2018, 01:07 PM
John,
My two generators are the newer SV2 versions bought Jun of 17 and Jul of this year. So I think my mistake was having the Eco mode on. I went with this set up for ease of portability and flexibility. My wife can handle them, and if one is needed at a site away from the TT, I can take one and the TT will still have limited power. Not needing the Micro Aire system would let me get a wet bolt kit installed and or other things on the wish list.

bill-e
08-15-2018, 01:39 PM
My Generators are the original V1 and they have always been able to run my 15k AC when in parallel with ECO mode off. Yamaha actually instructs you not to run ECO mode when in parallel, at least the V1 does.

I also have a Micro Air unit installed. It was installed when I was trying to sell my Yamaha's thinking I was going to get one Honda. They didn't sell so I still have them.

Right now MicroAir is recommending the Westinghouse 2500 ($599) and says it will run any AC out there along with a few other things. Basically same size/weight/noise as the Honda but more power and half the price.

Edit: One Yamaha V2 with the MicroAir should run the AC.

ADQ K9
08-15-2018, 10:05 PM
Bill E
Thanks for the info I am pretty much sold on the Yamaha's (have two now with no problems)Need to get hour meters and covers and I think I am set

ChuckS
08-16-2018, 05:21 AM
I run two Honda 2000s. I run in eco mode all the time. When I run AC for first start up I turn fan on first the switch AC on after about 10 seconds. I’ve never tripped overloads on generators. If running microwave (without AC on of course) the two Honda’s handle that just fine.

One will run microwave bit is wide open. I prefer to let the two generators run at less than wide open.

bill-e
08-17-2018, 04:30 AM
Bill E
Thanks for the info I am pretty much sold on the Yamaha's (have two now with no problems)Need to get hour meters and covers and I think I am setBuy them in blue ;)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motors-Tachometer-Hour-Meter-ATV-Boat-Trailers-Gas-Engine-Generator/122993782420?hash=item1ca3002e94:g:5xsAAOSwymJbViV f

ADQ K9
08-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Good price but is does me no good when it says "Does not ship to Alaska/Hawaii" will probably get them localy. I run into the same problem on Amazon with the strangest things like.... Plastic straws for my Tervis tumblers (big adult size sippy cup for any beverage you want):D:D