PDA

View Full Version : Battery discharge and charging

kingji
07-25-2011, 06:25 PM
I've got a guestion. I currently have 3 new 100amphr batteries and when I'm home I usually use a free standing 85 watt solar panel plugged in whenever the voltage gets down in the low 12's. I then charge the batteries back to 100% charge state and unplug the panel. Is there a preferred percentage to let the batteries drain to before charging back? I want to get the longest life out of the batteries as I can. Can I leave the solar panel plugged in all the time? The controller I'm using is a Go Power 25 amp.
Thanks in advance.
Jimmy

Johnnyfry
07-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Check out the specs of the controller unit. If it is properly designed you can leave it hooked up 100% of the time. It should monitor the charge state and adjust as necessary.

John

Festus2
07-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Your solar controller should be able to handle an 85W panel very easily and; if it is functioning properly, can be left plugged in so that your batteries remain fully charged. Just make sure that you frequently check the water level in them and keep them topped up.

kingji
07-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Didn't know if there were any pro's or con's to keeping one at full charge all the time. Sounds like it not a problem.
Thanks Again
JK

chuck&gail
07-26-2011, 03:53 PM
I always use a solar 15 watt BatteryMINDer on TT when stored. Previous TT battery lasted 7 years. Seemed good to me

SAABDOCTOR
11-15-2011, 08:48 AM
IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO KEEP A BATTERY FULLY CHARGED AND AS EVERONE SAID YOU CAN LEAVE IT HOOKED UP JUST CHECK THE WATER LEVEL FROM TIME TO TIME."bouncey: