PDA

View Full Version : Second AC Question

jeffqwv
08-13-2018, 04:55 AM
I have a 2018 Cougar with a single 15K Btu Ac that is ducted. I'm thinking about adding a second ac. Is it recommended to go with the 15K,or go with the 13.5K?

Dave W
08-13-2018, 05:26 AM
The second a/c will probably go in the prewired vent location in the bedroom. It will probably not be ducted to the system ducting. A 15K unit is nice but a 13.5 will do a great job at a few bucks less. I had that dilemma a couple years ago and found that the bit lower profile 13.5 can turn that smaller space into a meat locker on a 95 degree day if that's what you want. It is your choice and the 12Awg OEM supplied wiring will support either size

xrated
08-13-2018, 06:52 AM
I just got through adding a second A/C unit to my Toy Hauler. In mine, the pre-wired vent area was in the garage, not the bedroom, so that's where it went. I chose a 13.5K unit as I feel that between it and the 15K original unit, I should have plenty of cooling capacity. I bought a non-ducted unit, but I also bought a wall thermostat and control box to operate it. The unit sits over the top bed in the garage so a wall thermostat will allow me to operate it without having to get a step stool or ladder to operate the controls.....if they were mounted on the unit itself.

KOZKO
08-13-2018, 10:25 AM
13.5k kept us cool in 90+ at the beach. The ducting is there but I chose not to connect it. It is up front but in ours it’s the living room.

jeffqwv
08-13-2018, 10:36 AM
Thank you all for the feedback.

DocP
08-13-2018, 11:13 AM
I recently added the 15K second AC to my pre-wired bedroom non-ducted roof vent. For me, the difference in price between the 15k wand 13.5k was minimal. Easy installation. Other comments are correct - the 2nd AC makes the bedroom cold as heck, and is loud. I am currently in Myrtle Beach with temperatures in the high 80's and having 2 AC's is really keeping the camper a nice 75 degrees (that's what I have the main thermostat set at). Good luck with your decision.

Dave W
08-13-2018, 11:21 AM
A bit more - whichever you choose, watch your 5ers overall height. Right now I am at 13'4". I do have a 1" block to raise the trailer a bit more along with another spring leaf. Some of the a/c units would have put it over the 'magic' 13'6" by a couple inches