PDA

View Full Version : Storing RV with treatment in black tank

Knobs
08-08-2018, 05:34 AM
Is it a good idea after dumping the black tank to dump a gallon of water and treatment down the toilet so it can slosh around while driving home and help clean the tank? Is there a down side to leaving the water treatment in the tank while storing weeks between usage? (not intended to leave over the winter of course)

Carrottop
08-08-2018, 05:45 AM
We have always put a standard treatment and water in after cleaning. It remains there until we dump again. We have had very few issues with smells or sensors over the years.

chuckster57
08-08-2018, 05:59 AM
Lots of people dump a bag of ice with the treatment. The ice cubes bounce around and clean things, and then melt for easy disposal. Does it work? I haven’t done it.

As long as your subject to freezing temps, I see no harm in leaving some treatment in the tank.

Frank G
08-08-2018, 01:07 PM
I always add about 5gal of water after a "dump" and throw in a packet of dissolved chemicals. During the PDI of our first RV we were told to do this. It prevents a bunch of solids from lodging in the drain pipes thus requiring a visit from the Roto Rooter man. :eek:

bobbecky
08-08-2018, 01:16 PM
I’ve been using TankTechsRV in our black tank for several years now and on their site it says their treatment can stay active in the tank indeninitely. It seems a little pricey at first, but once you are using it, the very small amount used each time makes a small bottle last a long time and in very hot conditions it still works without having to add more treatment.

Number 4
08-08-2018, 01:26 PM
I've always put treatment and water in after dumping and haven't had any issues. The black water tank plumbing in trailer "Number 4" has a drop-down elbow to the gate valve so unfortunately most of it ends up sitting right there. I guess freezing in the winter might be a concern with that situation, but it's super rare to get a hard freeze in central California.

Bontz
08-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Lots of people dump a bag of ice with the treatment. The ice cubes bounce around and clean things, and then melt for easy disposal. Does it work? I haven’t done it.

As long as your subject to freezing temps, I see no harm in leaving some treatment in the tank.

This is what we do ... not sure it really does anything, but it sure doesn't seem to hurt. We use an ice maker while we're camping so we always have left over on departure day - so it gets dumped into the bathroom before we leave. We don't seem to have any "aromas" waiting for us on the next camping trip when we hook up, so I guess it's a good thing :cool:

Old Mustanger
08-08-2018, 01:58 PM
We use 2 gallons of water and 2 porta-pak packets after dumping, mixture stays until next time or until time to winterize.

JRTJH
08-09-2018, 06:10 AM
Water and chemicals (or even Rid-X for prolonged summer storage) is OK. But, remember that the black tank (as well as the gray tanks) drain toward the valve, so anything you add will typically flow to the drain plumbing. If you're going to be using it throughout the summer, no problem, but if you do that as a part of winterizing, you may wind up with freeze damaged valves in the spring.

So, it's OK (optional not necessary but keeps things fresh) during the summer. Definitely a "NO NO" for the winter.

BadmanRick
08-09-2018, 08:15 AM
After doing a lot of research on Black tank care I settled on the chemical Odorloss. We have kept this in the tank and it is the best I have found. The longer you leave these chemicals in the tank the better they are at keeping the tank clean. It is after all a septic tank on wheels. Hope this helps. Happy camping

travelin texans
08-09-2018, 08:38 AM
After doing a lot of research on Black tank care I settled on the chemical Odorloss. We have kept this in the tank and it is the best I have found. The longer you leave these chemicals in the tank the better they are at keeping the tank clean. It is after all a septic tank on wheels. Hope this helps. Happy camping

That's the misconception! They are not septic tanks, they are holding tanks, chemicals designed for a septic systems are meant to stay in the tanks to emulsify solids to liquid. In a rv RidX or other septic treatments won't do anything for your holding tank in a week or two, but as mentioned if you add while storing for the winter it wouldn't hurt to try it.
The majority of the chemicals sold for the holding tanks are for odor control regardless of how well they claim to "digest" solids.
DO NOT use roto rooter or any other type snaking device in any of the holding tanks, all it will do is damage something beyond repair.
The Geo method a lot of folks use has no chemicals "to break down solids", just uses water softener & soap, no odors & works very well. Won't hurt to use this method in the grey tanks as well, sometimes the galley tank odor is worse than the black.
The most important thing for new owners is NEVER leave the black valve open when hooked to a sewer, keep the valve closed til tank is full or you're changing locations & use plenty of water when flushing the toilet. The grey valves can be left open til a day or 2 before dumping the black to have a good hose rinse.

JRTJH
08-09-2018, 10:04 AM
^^^ X2...

The holding tank is a "chamber pot" not a septic system. It's designed to temporarily hold waste until it can be deposited in a septic system or a sewer system. Holding tanks are not designed for long term sewer treatment, rather for short term storage until the contents are dumped into a treatment system.

flybouy
08-13-2018, 07:36 PM
It's a camper colon, things only stay there until it get's full. :facepalm:

ctbruce
08-16-2018, 06:15 AM
It's a camper colon, things only stay there until it get's full. :facepalm:Now that's funny!18069

CrazyCain
08-16-2018, 09:01 AM
3-5 gallons of H2O and a healthy squirt of dawn after dumping.. sloshing around as i pull it back to the lot..Dawn is getting like Duct tape, crescent wrenches and Franks hot sauce. We use that **** on everything.

:hide::whistling:

johnlewis
08-19-2018, 01:31 PM
I was told to treat the black tank after dumping, whether you were moving on to another campsite, or storing the RV for the winter (freezing in SO AZ not a big problem).

CWSWine
08-19-2018, 01:42 PM
I believe sitting at a campsite and putting treatments in either the gray or black tank doesn't do much good except for odor control. What I do at my last stop before arriving at my sticks and bricks I dump and put in about 10 gallons in both the gray and black tank and a tank treatment. Then I drive the last 300 miles on our wonderful rough roads and the agitates the mixer in the tanks. Then I get the RV out and prepare for a trip and drive another 300 miles to my first campsite. Seems to keep the tank clean and sensors working they way they should.

CWSWine
08-19-2018, 01:45 PM
When you leave the gray tank open your roof vent becomes the vent for the entire park sewer system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4A-41EdBBc

travelin texans
08-19-2018, 02:39 PM
When you leave the gray tank open your roof vent becomes the vent for the entire park sewer system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4A-41EdBBc

You can prevent this very easily, I always do, just put a sag in your sewer hose creating a P trap then no more odors.

Local150
08-19-2018, 02:49 PM
There is a video on you tube on the ice theory,, proves it doesn't work

dmorgan64
08-19-2018, 05:46 PM
During season usage... After emptying I squirt some dawn dish detergent and about a gallon of water. That is it. Last dump of the season I leave it (black tank) empty after a thorough rinse and clean! I do not use any other treatments!

Old Mustanger
08-19-2018, 08:40 PM
You can prevent this very easily, I always do, just put a sag in your sewer hose creating a P trap then no more odors.

Or you can leave the valve closed until tank is full and then dump! ;)

JRTJH
08-20-2018, 06:09 AM

In our trailer, that would work on all of the tanks except the galley tank. The valve for it, in Keystone's infinite wisdom, is under the slide, just aft of the rear axle. When set up for camping, the only way to access that valve is to crawl under the slide, negotiate the rear ram on the slide and then shinny under the trailer to reach the valve. While it's "OK" in some parks, to use the words from an old Ray Stephens song, unless you "crawl on your belly like a reptile", you ain't getting to that valve.

It's much easier to leave the galley valve open, use that "Chinese finger" hose holder to maintain the slope and let the end dangle and create a P trap to stop the gasses from migrating up the hose.

Old Mustanger
08-20-2018, 06:54 AM
In our trailer, that would work on all of the tanks except the galley tank. The valve for it, in Keystone's infinite wisdom, is under the slide, just aft of the rear axle. When set up for camping, the only way to access that valve is to crawl under the slide, negotiate the rear ram on the slide and then shinny under the trailer to reach the valve. While it's "OK" in some parks, to use the words from an old Ray Stephens song, unless you "crawl on your belly like a reptile", you ain't getting to that valve.

It's much easier to leave the galley valve open, use that "Chinese finger" hose holder to maintain the slope and let the end dangle and create a P trap to stop the gasses from migrating up the hose.

You sure have a good point John, I guess there are always circumstances that can make a difference on the best practices. :bow:

travelin texans
08-20-2018, 08:46 AM

We have a washing machine going into the bath grey tank along with the shower & lavatory, so I have 2 choices, #1 leave it open which is what I do or #2 go out & pull the handle daily, which ain't happenin'. When laying out your sewer hose it takes about a millisecond to drop a sag in it then leave the valve open. Now if your just laying the hose out like a big snake on the ground it's hard to leave sag in it.

sonic2
08-21-2018, 02:51 AM
I’ve been using TankTechsRV in our black tank for several years now and on their site it says their treatment can stay active in the tank indeninitely. It seems a little pricey at first, but once you are using it, the very small amount used each time makes a small bottle last a long time and in very hot conditions it still works without having to add more treatment.

Agree. We've used both of these products in the gray and black tanks; no smells and our sensors now work. Also, we use the wand a couple times a years to get all the tanks extra clean. View their web site and watch the video's http://tanktechsrx.com/ https://uniquemm.com/

{tpc}
08-21-2018, 04:42 AM
We always put another packet in, with about 4 gallons of water, after the dumping is done. Since we have done that method, never had any issues with odors. Sometimes its only 2 gallons, but I kinda play that on the weather (to combat evaporation).