PDA

View Full Version : Around the block on just the ball.

linux3
08-06-2018, 09:56 AM
I had to move my TT from the pad next to the garage to the street so our driveway could be sealed.
Easiest way was around the block and pull up in front of our house. Kinda big'ish block.
I didn't bother with the load level arms, just drop the TT on the ball and go.
We just go back from a long'ish trip and had pretty much emptied the trailer. If dry weight is ~3800 lbs I would guess I'm under 4300 lbs.
What a difference. Just going around a mile without load leveling and the truck was bouncing and the trailer was weaving. What a difference. How do people pull these things without a good LL / sway hitch?

I have the tow package on my Silverado and in theory I don't need load leveling but I've always had it and what an eye opener.

Javi
08-06-2018, 09:57 AM
More truck... :D

fjr vfr
08-06-2018, 10:25 AM
More truck... :D

+1 :D Even more truck

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
08-06-2018, 10:26 AM
Maybe a case of to light on the nose....I move my TH all the time without the bars but with the garage empty it is nose heavy.

Ken / Claudia
08-06-2018, 04:14 PM
Just for a test, I took mine on a freeway local trip 20 miles without bars nor anti sway bar. I really did not notice any difference. I stayed in the right lane with traffic and no big winds where around that day. That was just a test, I have used the bars and anti sway all other times It left the driveway.

flybouy
08-07-2018, 04:35 AM
Weigh the tongue, my guess would be not enough weight on it causing your issue.

GMcKenzie
08-07-2018, 03:00 PM
I do this regularly. I can't get my trailer into or out of it's spot by the house without removing the bars or the rear stabilizers will grinding in the dirt. Just the way my spot is. So I'll hook up with just the ball and drive around the block. I go slow and the chains rattle a bit.

No biggie.

sourdough
08-07-2018, 03:21 PM
I had to move my TT from the pad next to the garage to the street so our driveway could be sealed.
Easiest way was around the block and pull up in front of our house. Kinda big'ish block.
I didn't bother with the load level arms, just drop the TT on the ball and go.
We just go back from a long'ish trip and had pretty much emptied the trailer. If dry weight is ~3800 lbs I would guess I'm under 4300 lbs.
What a difference. Just going around a mile without load leveling and the truck was bouncing and the trailer was weaving. What a difference. How do people pull these things without a good LL / sway hitch?

I have the tow package on my Silverado and in theory I don't need load leveling but I've always had it and what an eye opener.

I've pulled my trailer to the dealer 55 miles away without using the WDH/sway bars. Just drop it on the hitch. I can tell I don't have it (WDH) but it feels about like it did pulling it with a 1/2 ton with the WDH/sway connected. I would not have done that with the 1/2 ton.

linux3
08-07-2018, 05:55 PM
I don't need more truck. I'm pulling less than 50% of what I'm actually rated for. Less than 50% of pull weight and less than 50% of tongue weight.
My point was the importance of a good 4 point hitch.

We have all seen yahoos pulling a 17 ~ 22 ft TT down and interstate and everything is swaying.
I like my Husky Centerline TS.

sourdough
08-07-2018, 06:29 PM
I don't need more truck. I'm pulling less than 50% of what I'm actually rated for. Less than 50% of pull weight and less than 50% of tongue weight.

We have all seen yahoos pulling a 17 ~ 22 ft TT down and interstate and everything is swaying.
I like my Husky Centerline TS.

Comparing/thinking of "max tow" on any truck nowadays is just silliness if you are actually thinking you can tow that - it's sales hype. Weights are relative; if you don't have a well set up hitch, truck, trailer, know weights etc., you aren't going to be able to have a "great" towing experience. And yes, a GOOD 4 point hitch is very important.

busterbrown
08-07-2018, 07:38 PM
A quality WDH with sway control is instrumental in pulling any substational trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. That's just the nature of the beast. When you jump up into the HD trucks (especially the dullies), sway becomes less of an issue. Or no issue at all as in this Big Truck Big Rv video:

https://youtu.be/iQwahPcx8tk

Sounds like the OP has a good combination (truck/trailer) when paired with the Husky hitch.

BeckyMax
08-19-2018, 12:53 PM

I like my Husky Centerline TS.We had a 19' TT that we pulled for several years without a WDH. Wee planned on buying one when we updated the trainer which was going to be "next year" for about 5 years. Life kept happening and our upgrade kept getting put off. Well, we upgraded the truck and trailer this spring and let me just say, WOW! I can't believe the difference for us, and boy are we lucky no one got hurt. It's clear we had no business towing the way we were!

JRTJH
08-19-2018, 02:29 PM
We had a 19' TT that we pulled for several years without a WDH. Wee planned on buying one when we updated the trainer which was going to be "next year" for about 5 years. Life kept happening and our upgrade kept getting put off. Well, we upgraded the truck and trailer this spring and let me just say, WOW! I can't believe the difference for us, and boy are we lucky no one got hurt. It's clear we had no business towing the way we were!

Thanks for sharing. This is a comment heard many times. Typically, only after a novice realizes through experience what "adequate towing feels like"... Far too often someone will buy a tow vehicle/trailer, tow with it and assume that what they feel when towing is the way it's supposed to be..... They fight substandard performance with the belief that it's that way because that's all that can be expected. Only after they upgrade and tow with a "matched pair" do they realize just how terrible things were with the previous setup.

It really goes back to the simple phrase, "You don't know what you don't know"... With towing, believing that it's "the best it gets" or "I don't even know it's back there" are often followed with "holy smokes, this feels so much better"......

linux3
08-19-2018, 07:48 PM
I forgot to add:
When we were packing for our next outing my wife commented on how all the stuff on the shelves was mixed up and falling down. "How many bumps did you it" she asked.

None, looking back the WDH also smooths out the ride for the TT. That bounce I was feeling was real.

bob91yj
08-20-2018, 09:54 AM
I guess I've just been lucky, I've towed a 24' enclosed trailer with a Jeep in it for years on just a regular ball hitch with no issues. I'd guess the loaded trailer weight at around 10,000#'s with the Jeep in it. I've only towed our travel trailer twice...from the dealer ship to our sticks and bricks house and then to it's current location at an RV park with no issues. (Sold our house, stationary full timers now.)

ADQ K9
08-20-2018, 10:31 AM
I do it, but I have a heavier truck for my TT. Tight manuvering areas prohibit the use of the WD/sway bars. I store my TT about 10 blocks from the house. When I haul it home its all residential streets and I stay 20 mph or under. Making a u turn in a cul-de-sac with a long bed crew cab and a 37' travel trailer can be done, I do it ever time I bring the trailer home.