PDA

View Full Version : TV Amplifier

DocWMB
08-04-2018, 09:53 AM
I am looking to replace my damaged (oops) Winegard Batwing TV Antennae with an Omni-directional one such as

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077ZBH4GQ/?coliid=II6G89I9N0NYG&colid=3NHIP5H29SCX9&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it.

Will the installed (built-in) Amplifier with switch and green LED on switchplate work to power the new Omni-directional one?

travelin texans
08-04-2018, 10:07 AM
From what I've read on several forums regarding the omnidirectional antenna, I'd stick with the Winegard Sensor batwing with the little extra thingy on it which makes it somewhat directional. You can then get the Winegard app to find the towers wherever you're at to point the antenna. That's what's on mine & have picked 50-60 channels all across the country & have always found channels to watch.

Pull Toy
08-04-2018, 12:00 PM
+1 for Danny ^^^.

With the Digital Signal being as tricky as it is, I would definitely stay as directional as possible. We added the doo-hickey to the front of our batwing, and did see improvement.

p.s. To keep the OOPS out of our vocabulary, when I raise the antenna, I clip a RED ribbon to the crank. This reminds me to bring 'er down and turn off the signal amplifier as part of the packing up process.

Good Luck,

flybouy
08-04-2018, 02:15 PM
After the omni directional started showing up I've had a habit of asking people that have them how many channels they are getting. The answers have been consistently for fewer that I get on my bat wing. I did upgrade the amplifier to the sensar pro because it has an audio alert to let you know when the antenna is rec the strongest signal. You already have a hole thru the roof so why not use it. I don't know the extent of your damage but you can replace the arms for little $$.

JimSchwenk
08-05-2018, 04:40 AM
I miss having the old Winegard with the Wingman that we had on our Dutchman Aerolite. My 26RB has the omnidirectional antenna and it's a POS in my opinion. The trouble is I'm not sure the current mounting location is in a place where I can install the old style with the crank handle. Might be above the edge of a kitchen cabinet. I need to take some measurements, because the current setup is useless.
One thing I could never understand is how TT manufacturers can make a nicer unit, with a regression on some features. My stove now requires you to light the burners by hand. The older, cheaper TT had a spark knob that just took a twist, and voila! I guess it comes down to cost savings.

ctbruce
08-05-2018, 05:10 AM
One thing I could never understand is how TT manufacturers can make a nicer unit, with a regression on some features. My stove now requires you to light the burners by hand. The older, cheaper TT had a spark knob that just took a twist, and voila! I guess it comes down to cost savings.

JRTJH/John wrote me in another post that you can add the striker to your stove.

DocWMB
08-05-2018, 08:08 PM
(ty) all for the feedback. I had mistakenly assumed :facepalm: that an omnidirectional antenna that I didn't need to point was an upgrade. After the feedback here, and a review of other posts on the subject, I think I'll just replace the batwing, and check all the 75 ohm connections for tightness. Should be a pretty easy job, and not too expensive with batwing available on Amazon Prime.