PDA

View Full Version : Cable connection

asherdav
08-02-2018, 12:40 PM
We have a 2018 cougar 25res 5th wheel and I don't understand the cable/antenna connections. In the living room one TV connection ,in the bedroom 3 connections, in the front outside storage compartment one connection. Here is the problem in the bedroom connection #1 is the antenna and it works the bedroom TV and living room TV.connection #2 says it is for cable but only operates TV in the bedroom, connection #3 is for satelite but there is no place to connect a satelite only a cable connection .so now that I have bought a satelite and a receiver that I cannot use without running a satelite connection through a window or door? Iam really confused and so is the dealer

ctbruce
08-03-2018, 06:48 AM
Some pictures will help. Do you have a satellite connection on the outside?

SteveF
08-03-2018, 06:59 AM
Is it possible that there is a satellite "in" connection in or near the docking station? Does your Cougar have a power inserter that is used to view regular local channels via the rooftop universal antenna? There are likely both tv and satellite out ports in the living area and bedroom (two coax cable attachments). The power inserter for the tv must be off for your satellite power inserter to function. I have a 2018 29FWRL Sprinter and it is configured as above...

asherdav
08-03-2018, 10:30 AM
There are no other ports in the living area other than regular antenna .all of the other ports are in the bedroom. Is antenna with booster switch on one then another outlet with 2 connections 1 cable 1 satelite.

labman
08-03-2018, 11:50 AM
my sprinter has a coax connector for cable and one for satellite where I hook up the water. on driver side.

asherdav
08-03-2018, 12:06 PM
Yes it is and its in the bedroom

asherdav
08-03-2018, 12:15 PM
One coax connection outside next to water inlet
1connection in bedroom for TV and 2 connections in bedroom 1for cable1 for satelite
1 connection in living room for regular antenna viewing. Can I run a loop from bedroom cable to reg antenna to get living room TV to get sat or cable

asherdav
08-03-2018, 12:41 PM

asherdav
08-03-2018, 12:46 PM
First pic front storage compartment
#2pic. In bedroom one on right is the TV w/booster the other is cable and one is sat
#3pic. TV in living area and it is antenna w/booster
#4 pic is connection outside with the water,an convenience center

SteveF
08-04-2018, 06:23 AM
Your pic #1 is the same config as my sprinter. Pic #2 compared to mine has both tv and satellite coax outputs in the tv booster box. My living room has two coax outputs (not labeled) where your pic #3 looks like it has only one. Your pic #4 is likely an input (probably could handle either cable and satellite. My comparable outside input has two coax inputs one labeled cable and the other satellite. I just went out and checked these things as my memory was a bit vague.

I wonder if the coax output in your living room can operate either cable or satellite which would explain why there is only one outside input - double duty. You might try checking for continuity from your outside input to the living room output (connect a coax cable long enough to get you close enough together so that your tester leads can make contact and also check the compartment and bedroom outputs. Make sure the tv booster is off in your bedroom. This may help give you an idea of the configuration of the coax cabling in your camper.

I agree is different from what I have seen with other rv's.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

soconor
08-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Keep in mind if you have direct tv, the splitters supplied from Keystone are too weak to work. You’ll have to change them.

MarkS
08-04-2018, 03:47 PM
My Guess. The connector at the water convenience center is a cable in connector. It connects to one side of the double plate in the bedroom. The other side of the double goes to the antenna plate. You will need to add a coax jumper between the double plate connectors to get the cable in to work. The antenna plate connects to the living room and basement through a splitter. The splitter is hidden in the wall. You can get to the splitter by taking the antenna plate off and tugging on the cables.

You do not have a true satellite in connector. The antenna and many tailgater style satellite systems use power through the coax, which are not compatible with each other. Your best bet is to route the satellite cable through a window.

Attached is a sketch of my guess. The big box home improvement stores sell a tool that can help with tracing coax cables.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help with questions.

asherdav
08-04-2018, 06:25 PM
I will try it out tomorrow

asherdav
08-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Ok did some looking and here is what I have seen. Pic 3 wires are both pink and one goes to the splitter which is behind pic 4 on a circuit board of some type. I am going to take a pic and send it to see if anyone knows if it is connected correctly. I personally think it is not but I am not an wiring eficianato. I will post pics in a few after I take them and edit so you will know what is what.

Jerry S
08-09-2018, 11:04 AM
You have a 2018 , would it be best to ask your dealer to explain it to you so there is no guessing? If they don't have an answer tell them to find out.

Frederick
08-12-2018, 06:39 AM
I have a Alpine 3555RL with sat. connections on the outside but lots of problems with reception after many calls to dish w told to try running cable from outside receiver thru window was told by dish they have had lot of problems with RV coaxes the way it installed be the manufactor

MattE303
08-12-2018, 07:05 AM
I have a Alpine 3555RL with sat. connections on the outside but lots of problems with reception after many calls to dish w told to try running cable from outside receiver thru window was told by dish they have had lot of problems with RV coaxes the way it installed be the manufactor

yup, the problem is usually either loose connections, or they used splitters which usually don't work with satellite systems. I used the coax jacks installed by the factory, but replaced the cable with my own high quality RG6 cable. No splitters. A 10' piece was plenty to connect the outside (convenience center) 'sat prep' input jack to the 'sat prep' output jack in the entertainment center.

asherdav
08-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Yes I just ran a new coax cable and installed a new outdoor waterproof connection outside by the ladder and it works like a champ. The dealer does not know why the splitter was in the bedroom and not the living area but its all ok now I just fixed the porblem and will forget about any help from the dealer or Keystone. By the way keystone sent me a diagram of the wiring but could not explain why all the connections were in the bedroom. Was told the unit was built as designed. ??????????????? I wonder if the designeers actually have or live in what they design. lol

MattE303
08-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Yes I just ran a new coax cable and installed a new outdoor waterproof connection outside by the ladder and it works like a champ. The dealer does not know why the splitter was in the bedroom and not the living area but its all ok now I just fixed the porblem and will forget about any help from the dealer or Keystone. By the way keystone sent me a diagram of the wiring but could not explain why all the connections were in the bedroom. Was told the unit was built as designed. ??????????????? I wonder if the designeers actually have or live in what they design. lol
It seems like most satellite system wiring in RV's is designed and installed by people who have no idea how mobile satellite systems actually work.

I saw a post on another forum where the poster attended some kind of owners conference for their high end motorhome brand. They had a Q&A session with a panel of engineers whose job is to design the RV's. He asked the panel to raise their hands if any of them owned an RV. No hands went up. He then asked if any of them had ever spent a night in an RV. Again, no hands went up. :facepalm: